TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, New person here. Just brought home a tw200. My stable was empty and now this is number 1. Up to the purchase I romanced many bikes and sat on quite a few. Wow, just so many fantastic rides out there. I chose my tw200. Then I googled it and hit this forum and wow - lovely home you have created here. So rich.

In the last 24 hours -our first 24 hours of life together. I've managed to hit the start button when it's already started - a few times, hit the road with the gas petcock on off - didn't get far, forget the choke as I try and try and try to start.

This afternoon I took it around some easy land and tried to go over a little log. I got the front wheel to conquer it but the back wheel wasn't having it. I just kicked it out from under the bike and vowed to learn and practice some skills. My first wheelie will be a monumental event. Great journey ahead.

·
Registered
779 Posts
You will learn to bump over logs quickly! Wheelies, that might be a bigger challenge. If you are going to ride off road, you will probably want to look at a new front tire sooner rather than later. I think the Shinko 241 is the consensus "do it all" replacement (lot's of info available in the forums on those choices). Have fun, be safe!

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Welcome aboard Olivia!
The TW is a great learner bike and even rewarding in practiced hands...just stay after it!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Here is the trick to getting both wheels over a log: You have to approach the log with enough momentum and power so that you can not only loft the front over the log, but aggressively put a lot of weight on the bars at the precise instant the front wheel contacts the ground. Most of the time the rear wheel will bump over. Just after you loft the front over, reduce the throttle slightly so the rear doesn't spin too much. The right speed is the real key. I would try hitting a smaller log at mid range in first, then work up to larger logs. The TW can climb over a 15 inch log if done exactly right. I've never managed more than about 10 inches. :p And I DON'T do wheelies on the TW...but then I'm 67, so acrobatics are not authorized any more.:eek:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Be careful going over logs with stock flimsy skid plate. I think the po of my '87 broke my side cover going over something tougher than my skid plate. And welcome to the mad house. You'll love your TW, you'll love this forum even more.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Hello, New person here. Just brought home a tw200. My stable was empty and now this is number 1. Up to the purchase I romanced many bikes and sat on quite a few. Wow, just so many fantastic rides out there. I chose my tw200. Then I googled it and hit this forum and wow - lovely home you have created here. So rich.

In the last 24 hours -our first 24 hours of life together. I've managed to hit the start button when it's already started - a few times, hit the road with the gas petcock on off - didn't get far, forget the choke as I try and try and try to start.

This afternoon I took it around some easy land and tried to go over a little log. I got the front wheel to conquer it but the back wheel wasn't having it. I just kicked it out from under the bike and vowed to learn and practice some skills. My first wheelie will be a monumental event. Great journey ahead.
Welcome Olivia, My favorite female name by the way and that of my first GF back many, many moons ago. Give us some details. New TW, year and color, pictures and anything else you think we need to know. Many here are seniors and the TW works well as we get up in age. What you describe are the new bike normal's that we all go through and some of us never get over many of these common mistakes. Don't forget that if the kick stand is down you can't put it in gear. TWs are not very good wheelie bikes so don't expect that to happen much. Crossing logs is a trick you will learn but the number one most important thing is to hit any and all logs and roots straight on or at a 90 degree angle if at all possible. Wet logs are the worst because the tires like to slide along them rather than go over.

GaryL

·
Registered
394 Posts
Welcome! Don't worry about forgetting to turn the fuel back on, it happens. Just did the same last weekend. The guys and gals here are quite friendly and knowledgeable about all things TW (and a whole lot of other bikes too!), so just ask away any questions you may have.

Oh, pictures! We all love pictures if you don't mind sharing!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Welcome. We are all used to driving down the road before we turn the gas on. To keep others mindful of the importance of checking your petcock, whenever your riding buddies get off their bikes and go into the store for something, shut their gas off while they are inside.
That's all fun and games, until the engine dies while making a left hand turn across a multi lane load with semis hurling at you!!! I may have peed my pants a little before I got the sense to duck walk the heck out of there.

Well, I learned my lesson and I always check the petcock now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm taking everything to heart. Thanks for all welcomes and advice. Yes, this is a great site. I can't wait for the temperature to warm up a bit so I can start putting on some miles. My purchase coincided with a cold snap.

I'm in that search for larger legal fun places to ride at my level. I just acquired a MotoTote to get me there if I find some and i'm ready.

I might look into the skid plate since you think it's a good idea. I know I will find some suggestions for a replacement on this site.
I love the Spring!

·
Super Moderator
17,932 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts