TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I replaced my front and rear sprocket and the chain. I put a 14 on the front and a 55 on the back. After replacing the crankcase cover gasket and putting everything back together and adjusting the chain I started up the bike. Immediately I heard a rattling like something was loose in the engine and then it went away. I tested out the new sprocket by just riding down the block and back and the bike would not idle and as it was coming down to an idle as I pulled up to the house I could hear the thing bouncing around and then the bike shut off. It was also waaaaaay hotter than it has ever gotten, even after hours of straight riding. What could I have done? I made sure I didn't drop anything inside or anything. I don't know what could have gone so wrong with such an easy job?

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
My first thought too, Brian, "Oh no, I hope oil got put back in it."

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Something certainly is wrong so you have to go back in. Make sure the wires going up the frame are in the slot and not being pinched. Each side case screw has a particular place and length so they have to be right. The front sprocket has 2 bolts and they have to be right. In the case there is an outer thrust bearing held in by bolts so check that they have not backed out. I sure hope you didn't have parts left over or were missing a screw or bolt in the end. Did the drain screen and spring go back in the same way it came out?

Running hotter and something rattling around sure does sound bad but this will be a mystery until you find the culprit. I can't imagine what might be wrong given that all you did was remove the side case, replaced the front sprocket and the case gasket and put it all back together.

GaryL

Reactions: Ken and Waymore

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
No parts left over and everything went together as it came apart
You have to open it up to inspect your work and make sure this has nothing to do with the work you did. You can lay the bike down on it's right side to avoid dumping the oil. I just can't imagine what is wrong but you need to make sure this has nothing to do with your work before you go any further.

GaryL

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll go home and pull it apart after work and see. I just can't imagine what I could have screwed up. It's a pretty straightforward easy job. The bike ride in the bed of a truck for two days on dirt roads driving to and from some family property I was riding on. It hasn't been started since so maybe something rattled loose? I'll check my work before looking into that though

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Tonight I replaced my front and rear sprocket and the chain. I put a 14 on the front and a 55 on the back. After replacing the crankcase cover gasket and putting everything back together and adjusting the chain I started up the bike. Immediately I heard a rattling like something was loose in the engine and then it went away. I tested out the new sprocket by just riding down the block and back and the bike would not idle and as it was coming down to an idle as I pulled up to the house I could hear the thing bouncing around and then the bike shut off. It was also waaaaaay hotter than it has ever gotten, even after hours of straight riding. What could I have done? I made sure I didn't drop anything inside or anything. I don't know what could have gone so wrong with such an easy job?

Sounds like a lock nut has come off one of your valve adjuster to me.

Tom

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Right about this being a pretty simple and straight forward job so my guess is one has nothing to do with the other. What Dryden Tom said is a real possibility and it is also possible the previous owner screwed something up and just dumped the bike on you knowing there was an issue that could rear it's ugly head.

On the right side case there are E clips that are known to break that could be rattling around but I think only on the bikes that have the kick start. After checking the vale train and your own work I would look on the right side and check to see all the E clips are in place and also check the clutch basket for a broke off wing. In the starter motor there are parts know to cause these issues but I only ever heard this after someone was in there either removing the stator or the starting motor itself. I do know I would not run the bike again until I find the offender. Members such as Elime, Admiral, Fred, Vanillagorilla and TW Brian are well versed in the innerads of these engines so after you inspect if you can't find the cause then reach out for us. Just be very careful with Admiral's advice, he has a hammer for every issue known to these TWs.:eek:

GaryL

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the suggestions. I did adjust the valves a week or two ago. Maybe I didn't tighten a lock but enough. How would I get it out if it fell in?

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
If indeed a valve adjusting locknut came loose it will not travel far. When mine backed off I could never see it lurking at the base of valve spring using a strong light and small mirror. However fishing around with a very small rare earth magnet taped to a flexible zip-tie quickly found and removed the missing nut.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think you should have included that you hadn't ridden it since you adjusted the valves AND just got done changing the sprockets and chain.

This site has a bunch of knowledgeable folks and they were right on with suggestions that brought up loosened or parts that might have come adrift.

My suggestion was that if the sprockets were too misaligned or the chain too tight the extra drag and potential torque on the case could cause heating up but I doubt it would affect the idle quality.
I'd check out your previous work and look for the cause.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have ridden about 60 miles all off road since the valve adjustment that's why I didn't mention it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I pulled off the crank case cover and could find no problems. Nothing came out with the oil when I drained it and I removed the valve covers to find both lock nuts secured in place. The chain has slack in it and is straight. What else could I have done?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts