TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to GaryL’s “How to Bring a Sitting Bike Back to Life” write-up in the Tech section, my Black Widow is back on the road.

9F7BB8FE-B449-4FE8-9758-B13DCCFF9437.jpeg

There is plenty yet to go through over the winter, but I wasn’t sure if it would ever be roadworthy again. Until now!

My biggest mistake was not checking the valves before attempting to start it. It was noisy, but after inspection and adjustment, it now sounds like every other TW.

I bought this bike (1989 with 4,500 miles) this summer in Michigan where it sat for the last 5 years with ethanol gas. On the bright side, it was garage stored. The gas tank cleaned up with white vinegar. No rust or leaks. The carb was a mess. It cleaned up ok in the ultrasonic cleaner, but the choke was stuck and after weeks of trying to free it, the choke rod broke off with the plunger stuck inside. So I went the cheap Chinese TK clone route. I’m still fiddling with throttle cable routing, but the conversion was not too bad. I was able to reuse the old boot on the engine side but needed a new airbox boot for 01+ models. I put Dunlop K180s on and got rid of what appeared to be the original tires.

I logged about 30 miles on my test ride and made notes of what will need attention over the winter. Mostly putting around close to home but did get through all gears and momentarily hit 60 mph with relative ease.

New steering head bearings, due to slop and a notch at center.
Fork service, due to signs of leaks and worse than normal performance. PO included Allballz seals with sale. Glad it has drain screws.
Valve adjuster screws need to be replaced due to crowning. Also need closer inspection of valves.

The clutch actuation is better (smoother) than my other two bikes, but there’s lots of slippage in every gear. I’m hoping it’s related to the Rotella the PO was using. I’d like to put some more miles on and get another Mobil1 oil change and see if that helps. If not, I’ll add clutch inspection and service to the winter list.

The brakes still need a bit more adjustment, but I’m surprised how good they feel for what they are. Better than my 96.

Most of the rest is inspection, cleaning, lubrication, etc.

So far the bike has exceeded my expectations and it feels good having put it back on the road. Cheers

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Old photo - Dunlop K180s on now. Thanks for looking out. The old tires were rotten
Hey, Badge...how do ya like those "flat track" tires?

I just mounted them on my bike, then ~20 mile test ride, all paved, mostly straight.
First thing I noticed was they are slightly slower to react to steering input.
Second thing was get 'em laid over a bit and they just rail! Accurate and predictable.
Can't wait to try them on some good corners & curves on paved and improved roads...maybe some nice slides!
Anxious to try some trails too, just nothing too radical.
The bike will be great as a 80/20 paved & improved roads/off-road, as intended.
First ride with new suspension & upgraded brakes as well.

The service mgr. of the shop that mounted them is an old road racer & flat tracker.
He knows the bike and my riding preferences and said with a big grin, "You'r gonna love those tires on this bike!"

·
Registered
34 Posts
Badgerflorida, that is a good looking bike, and an encouraging story. Thanks for including the reference to GaryL's "How to Bring a Sitting Bike Back to Life" thread (big thanks to him, if he sees this!). I think I read it years ago, but it is very welcome and timely advice with a sitting 2000 TW now in my garage, particularly since I'm not an experienced wrencher. I've decided to gather parts and tools before I begin the project. Because I'm on a modest monthly budget, it is proving to be an excruciatingly slow process, but the anticipation is building. So thanks for the motivation.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, Badge...how do ya like those "flat track" tires?

I just mounted them on my bike, then ~20 mile test ride, all paved, mostly straight.
First thing I noticed was they are slightly slower to react to steering input.
Second thing was get 'em laid over a bit and they just rail! Accurate and predictable.
Can't wait to try them on some good corners & curves on paved and improved roads...maybe some nice slides!
Anxious to try some trails too, just nothing too radical.
The bike will be great as a 80/20 paved & improved roads/off-road, as intended.
First ride with new suspension & upgraded brakes as well.

The service mgr. of the shop that mounted them is an old road racer & flat tracker.
He knows the bike and my riding preferences and said with a big grin, "You'r gonna love those tires on this bike!"
I’m guessing I have about 800 miles on them (on my 96) - all street. I’m trying to figure out how much of the improvement I feel is from the K180’s design or just the fact that it’s fresh new grippy rubber vs the hard old ones. The fact is, it’s a very noticeable upgrade from what I had. Much better on the street than the stock Bridgestone knobbies (even newer ones I’ve rode) in my humble opinion. I hit a mall parking lot and did some sustained tight turns and they grip quite well. Still nothing beats Bridgestone 203 and 204 on the street, but the Dunlop’s are my new favorite knobby for the street. It’ll probably be next riding season before I get the Dunlop’s off road. Cheers and continued good luck on your bike project.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Badgerflorida, that is a good looking bike, and an encouraging story. Thanks for including the reference to GaryL's "How to Bring a Sitting Bike Back to Life" thread (big thanks to him, if he sees this!). I think I read it years ago, but it is very welcome and timely advice with a sitting 2000 TW now in my garage, particularly since I'm not an experienced wrencher. I've decided to gather parts and tools before I begin the project. Because I'm on a modest monthly budget, it is proving to be an excruciatingly slow process, but the anticipation is building. So thanks for the motivation.

The fact that they are relatively easy for us novices to wrench on was one of the reasons I chose the Tdub. And this forum gives quick, reliable info when needed. Cheers and good luck with your bike.

PS - I wonder how many bikes have been saved with Gary’s game plan.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Logging more miles, I discovered the chain slider is now loose and free and waiting to get caught in the front sprocket. It has also blown three fuses, so I swapped out the aftermarket regulator/rectifier the PO had installed and no more blown fuses. Also the swingarm or shock mounts are creaking. All these rides are spent primarily listening for odd noises.

Does anyone know the difference between AGC, AGW, and AGX glass tube fuses?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Thanks to GaryL’s “How to Bring a Sitting Bike Back to Life” write-up in the Tech section, my Black Widow is back on the road.

View attachment 185186

There is plenty yet to go through over the winter, but I wasn’t sure if it would ever be roadworthy again. Until now!

My biggest mistake was not checking the valves before attempting to start it. It was noisy, but after inspection and adjustment, it now sounds like every other TW.

I bought this bike (1989 with 4,500 miles) this summer in Michigan where it sat for the last 5 years with ethanol gas. On the bright side, it was garage stored. The gas tank cleaned up with white vinegar. No rust or leaks. The carb was a mess. It cleaned up ok in the ultrasonic cleaner, but the choke was stuck and after weeks of trying to free it, the choke rod broke off with the plunger stuck inside. So I went the cheap Chinese TK clone route. I’m still fiddling with throttle cable routing, but the conversion was not too bad. I was able to reuse the old boot on the engine side but needed a new airbox boot for 01+ models. I put Dunlop K180s on and got rid of what appeared to be the original tires.

I logged about 30 miles on my test ride and made notes of what will need attention over the winter. Mostly putting around close to home but did get through all gears and momentarily hit 60 mph with relative ease.

New steering head bearings, due to slop and a notch at center.
Fork service, due to signs of leaks and worse than normal performance. PO included Allballz seals with sale. Glad it has drain screws.
Valve adjuster screws need to be replaced due to crowning. Also need closer inspection of valves.

The clutch actuation is better (smoother) than my other two bikes, but there’s lots of slippage in every gear. I’m hoping it’s related to the Rotella the PO was using. I’d like to put some more miles on and get another Mobil1 oil change and see if that helps. If not, I’ll add clutch inspection and service to the winter list.

The brakes still need a bit more adjustment, but I’m surprised how good they feel for what they are. Better than my 96.

Most of the rest is inspection, cleaning, lubrication, etc.

So far the bike has exceeded my expectations and it feels good having put it back on the road. Cheers
I used Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer to cure slipping clutch issues. I just added 4-6 ounces during an oil change would usually take care of it. I was using oil not for wet clutches and that stopped the slipping.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I did a second oil change after about 100 miles. Very little garbage in the filter and strainer. The oil was darker than I expected - I’m assuming the oil that sat for 5 years left plenty of gunk or residue. The oil sight glass is black on the bottom inside.

Good news - the clutch has completely stopped slipping. I attribute that to the second oil change, but more importantly I think I finally have it adjusted properly.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After logging about 400 miles, the valve noise was back. The adjuster screws were starting to round, but I didn’t think they were that bad. Today I replaced them and no more noise. Thanks JerseyJeeper for the advice to just replace em. Cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts