TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I am picking my 6yo sons first bike! He will be getting it for Christmas. 2006 TTR50, some extras on it so he can grow with it a bit.

I am very excited to see his face Christmas morning!!! The other night he asked me "What is Santa Brings me a dirt bike with no engine?" I laughed, seen a 2007 TTR50 w/out the engine and seat for sale on chraigslist, think I may just get it for parts, but it would be funny for Santa, not to install a engine.

I am going to go threw the bike for next week just making sure every thing is 100% before letting him go on it, does anyone on here have experience with the TTR50 and what should be paying attention to while tightening it up?

Thank you,

Dan

Super Moderator
Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, what a cool dad you are! I wish my dad woulda let me get one when I was that young or at least a mini bike or something...

When I was 14 a guy down the street had a cherry/mint condition 57 Triumph hardtail 500 for sale for 85 bucks that came with 2 toolboxes full of tools, helmets and leathers.... I begged and begged and begged my dad, the answer was no and that was it.

Your son will never forget that! I didn't either.:tearyeyed:

Registered
my son is four, and i can't wait for another year or two for the same surprise! way to go :)

Registered
That's awesome, I'm sure he'll love it! You're an awesome dad and I'm sure he'll never forget this Christmas.

My sons first bike is an 83 ATC 70 that we bought after he let out a heart breaking cry when I tried to take him off of it after a test drive when he was 1 year old. He's 5 now and can put around on it in first gear. We also have a TTR 90 and PW80 that my wife and I drive with our 3 and 5 year old boys sitting on the front. We'll eventually let them ride the dirt bikes but they need to learn how to balance and ride bicycles first.

Registered
Yeah, my Dad had me riding when I was 6 also. They didn't have decent small dirt bikes back then. So I had an old school mini bike until I was 8 or 9 when I got my first shift bike. Sounds like your just like my Dad. The best Dad in the world. My whole life was based around riding. Love to see a video recording of him getting it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
how i got it Saturday:

cleaning and taking junk off sunday:

Did some ordering of parts, this bike was set up for an adult, trying to get it back inline for a 50# rider!

Registered
Once I get to place (geographically) where my son can ride, he's getting one too:hello2:. Sharing the experience with your son is going to be a huge reward for you (me too when the time comes). Please keep us updated on the rides, needs for the bike, etc.

Registered
That sounds so FUN. Nothing better that your first ride with dad/son.

My son and I are headed out for his first official ride Sunday. He has ridden 3 times, but never in the open. We are all very excited. My daughter, son and I will have perma-grins coming home Sunday. Pics to follow.

Registered
I have had the distinct pleasure of riding with my son for over 30 years now. We started with Honda Trail 90's. I remember one of our first rides into the heavy timber area. attempting to get to the top of a specific mountain ridge. We departed in the early morning in darkness. He had ridden ahead of me a little ways, and when I came around the corner of the hill, in the timber, he was stopped, looking back to see how far I was behind him. He had ridden upon a mountain lion sitting in the trail. I asked him if he was scared. He said no, he just kept the headlight in his face. It finally turned and took off up the hillside. Quite and experience for both of us.
Mel

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
I have had the distinct pleasure of riding with my son for over 30 years now. We started with Honda Trail 90's. I remember one of our first rides into the heavy timber area. attempting to get to the top of a specific mountain ridge. We departed in the early morning in darkness. He had ridden ahead of me a little ways, and when I came around the corner of the hill, in the timber, he was stopped, looking back to see how far I was behind him. He had ridden upon a mountain lion sitting in the trail. I asked him if he was scared. He said no, he just kept the headlight in his face. It finally turned and took off up the hillside. Quite and experience for both of us.
Mel
That's a great memory.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
picked the 2012 parts bike! and started putting things back to stock, pulled the forks from the new bike since they were rust free and smooth bearings, swapped the wheels over since they look near new, rear shock is stock not for a light weight rider, ebay bars, new grips, and lubed the cables. now I have to try and scrub all the dirt scuffs out of the plastic. Also need to make all the bolts uniform so he wont need the whole tool box to work on it! ***looking for a stock seat, currently have the GYTR tall seat***

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
need stock seat and exhaust, should be done after that, well until he starts tinkering with it!

wife loves it, "it looks new!"

Registered
That looks good. I favor the blue too. If it weren't for the minibikes, I'd probably never have a Honda. Yes, snobby comment. But I am a Yamaha Guy.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Christmas morning wasn't the reaction I wanted but I know he loved it because he would sit on the bike to do everything with other toys and showed everyone when they came over for breakfast.

Got him out today since we had some warmth, have to say he did great before his fingers got cold. One hard wipeout but got right up!
He wanted to know when we are going to ride together?!?! Can't wait till we can!

Photo after he rode today!

Registered
Wish I had picture's of my kids on their PW80. Should'a kept it for the grand kids. The real reaction you'll want is a lifetime of riding with him! Still, this is pretty cool and you can tell he likes it.:D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts