TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brake light was working fine. Then, for no reason, it stays lit all the time, so you cant see a difference when the brake is applied. I put a new bulb in, but that did not alleviate the problem. Could anyone point me in the right direction as to what i can check?

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
The rear brake light is activated by one of two switches, one is activated by the front brake lever and the other is activated by the rear brake pedal. Either one of these switches could be causing the problem you describe. I would check the rear brake switch first because it readily accessible and easy to adjust. The rear brake pedal is connected to a metal rod that is connected to a spring that is connected to the brake light switch. With your lights turned on, pull up on the spring and see if the bake light goes off. It it does, then this switch needs to be adjusted.

Try this first and then report back.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The rear brake light is activated by one of two switches, one is activated by the front brake lever and the other is activated by the rear brake pedal. Either one of these switches could be causing the problem you describe. I would check the rear brake switch first because it readily accessible and easy to adjust. The rear brake pedal is connected to a metal rod that is connected to a spring that is connected to the brake light switch. With your lights turned on, pull up on the spring and see if the bake light goes off. It it does, then this switch needs to be adjusted.

Try this first and then report back.
Thanks Brian. I moved that rod up and down, and there was no change. Does that mean that the switch is the problem?c
Like Brian stated, there are two switches. Now check the front one.

At this time, that still does not eliminate the rear switch.

have you disconnected and reconnected any wiring for whatever reason ?

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Good idea r.e. wiring.
I believe both those switches work by completing a circuit to ground. Thus any of the lead wires to those switches that get pinched and short to ground will create another way to inadvertently activate the brake light.
I assume a proper 1157 class of bulb properly installed in a socket that is in good shape without any frayed terminal wires shorting across the terminals at socket's base. Don't want running light voltage crossing over to the brake filament side.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Those switches are in parallel.
See if you can disconnect one a time.

According the wiring diagram the wire colors are Brown and Green/Yellow that connect to the switches.

Disconnect the wires to the rear and check light.
Leaving those wires disconnected the front wires.
If that light does not go out, then its a bad wiring somewhere.

Whichever disconnect turn light off, that the bad switch.
Lot of TW200 wiring diagrams on the internet. have a search for them and find your bike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unreal, I did research thinking the worst. I want to thank you for the great schematic. I took the lens off (2) screws. Voila the Bulb looked like a Chinese dog! 1 eye and its tongue hanging out... Heh nothing bad about the Chinese dogs but eh.

Mahalo and Maikai...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts