TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive my 08's about once a week and the first time I start them the clutch is stuck. Both bikes do it. I'm thinking about parking them with a stap arround the clutch lever. Most of the time they pop loose right away , but I'm afraid it will freak out my wife if she's the one starting for the first time in a week. So far I have been and it's no big deal.

Owen

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mine has also cut the engine when I put it in first. Now I just pull the clutch lever several times then put it in first and good to go.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What oil are you using? Have you checked the level recently? Wet clutches require oil or they don't work. Also, be sure you are using motorcycle oil as car oil tends to have friction additives that can harm clutch performance. That said, I as well start the bike in neutral and work the clutch a few time before I roll out.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
What you describe is common in motorcycles with wet clutches. In fact, every motorcycle I've ever owned that had a wet clutch dragged to some degree when cold. I make a habit of holding the front brake when first engaging the transmission. In fact, I find holding the front brake something I habitually do when getting on any bike.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bike has the oil the dealer put in and my wife's still has the break-in oil from Yam. The oil always has looked low to me, even when brand new. You need to have the bike perfectly straight up to get in the sight glass. That's the way they came.

Thanks for all the tips. I think , I'll try a strap around the lever at least on hers. I can't risk her getting scared. Maybe that might be a good idea for winter storage too.

Owen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts