TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I and more importantly my dad need some help. Monday afternoon, my dad was bringing his beloved klr250 home from the shop after getting a new tire installed and the poor klr flew off the trailer and tumbled down the road. Since the klr250 is an absolute tank most of the damage is cosmetic with only a limited number of parts being needed to fix it. My dad is too upset to work on it so my 2 brothers and my best friend took on the responsibility of getting the bike back on the road for him. We've got all the parts ordered with the exception of one tricky piece. The plastic fairing around the headlight. It's almost impossible to find and hard to find a good one. His bike is the olive green color and a 2002 model however I believe any year cowl will fit. If anyone has an olive green fairing for a klr250 (not 650, they are different and not a kl250 super sherpa, also different) please let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
That sucks and thank goodness no one was hurt traveling behind or next too the trailer.

Probably a long-shot looking for KLR/Kawasaki parts here on a Yamaha/TW forum but I guess ya never know. Did you go the actual KLR site/forum?

How did the bike "fly off the trailer"? Tie-downs broke?

·
Registered
19,776 Posts
Don't answer that!
We, like surgeons, tend to bury our mistakes so no need to say a thing.
Must protect the father's dignity even if he does ride a Kawasaki.

Actually I would call around various motorcycle wreckers and salvage yards to check for price and availability. Not everything for sale is on the internet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually called the only bike boneyard in like the tri county are around me and they had 1 klr250 but it was involved in a front end collision and everything I needed was ruined. He went over some train tracks and one of the straps broke and it flew out the side. Yes thankfully no one was following behind when it happened. My brother says he located one today so I think we may have tied up that loose end. As far as finding parts for an old kaw on a yamaha site, I have tons of goofy shit in my garage for hondas, Kawasakis, ford, mercury's, cadillacs, jeeps you name it haha. You never know man.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Good on you and your brother. Get him back on the horse. Nothing worse than that feeling in the pit of your stomach when something beyond your control takes away something that you enjoy. Best of luck on your search.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
On a lighter note, if it was a TDub you could just rub some dirt on it and be back on the trails.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha thanks but I'll tell you what, that klr is a tough old gal. It bounced out off a trailer and tumbled down the road and I'll bet you money I could kick It over and ride down the trails right now.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Hey Will...sorry to hear about your Pop's bike!
He's lucky to have you and your brother to help him out...we all know that and he does, too.
How old is he? A Vet? Name?
Shake his hand for me!

·
Registered
838 Posts
So straps breaking has happened to a few of us. Have him reassess his strap setup so that if one fails it still stays on the trailer. This is best accomplished by having something that holds the bottom of the wheels in place and is independent of the main strap. Also having a strap to tge rear top of the bike is not a bad idea.

Ask me how I know these things.

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Just try Searchtempest and check everyday. Stuff/parts come up all the time. You'll find what you need eventually.

I always overdo/overkill my tie-downs. A total of six (6) but obviously can get away with four whether on the carrier of the trailer. And on the carrier another 2 small straps holding the wheels down. There's enough weirdo's driving on the road I don't need a sudden stop in front (or side or behind me) to try out the worthiness of my tie-downs.

Some of the best but oldest straps I have/had were heavy-duty Harley branded though of course HD did not make them. Overkill for the dirt bikes but I have better things to worry about driving down the road with a trailer or weight on the back of my Jeep.

One of the straps had developed a tiny cut and was fraying. I took a knife and cut it up. I knew if I didn't I'd keep using them. Kinda kept me from doing the wrong thing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well as it turns out, he did have everything strapped down but apparently not tight enough. He went over a set of double train tracks and the suspension on the bike compressed, released the strap and the bike went airborne. Makes sense considering how squishy the klr suspension is. Hell make sure not to under strap that thing next time.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I use this on my XT. You'd need a smaller one for a TW.
Crush away without crushing your suspension:

Believe me, positive attachment, no guessing:

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
With the size you'd need for a TW they are about $14.00. The thing that intrigued me about this "T" is I had never seen that big rubber-band thing that holds on to your tire, keeping it in place. So simple but a great idea.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have switched to the Pro-Taper tiedowns for this exact reason. They are much thicker, have a soft tie on the top and the bottom is a carabiner so it can’t come unhooked.

They are a little pricey but we dry camp on pretty rough roads so the peace of mind is worth it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the straps we have are sufficient and I'd probably just chock it up to operator error at this point. Those suspension saver things look like a good idea but I don't see how you could use it on a tw with the fender being positioned how it is in relation to the tire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts