TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My feet keep slipping off of them when Im on trails and its hard to get my footing right before the next bump. I want to get some bigger ones but will they make cornering more hazardous?

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
I have the oversize pegs and they seem primarily bigger in the front to rear direction. I doubt my most aggressive cornering attempts ever bring the pegs very close to the asphalt because I am an Easy Rider on the street. Trailside rocks and deep ruts made by those lowly skinny tire types will however impact the pegs, stock or otherwise. I feel the seemingly greater strength afforded by a quality oversize peg more than compensates for the minor increase in the bike's width. I like mine for both the offset and the bigger platform for my feet which is more comfortable while standing. Both my sets have seen a lot of mother earth up close and personal and I feel the oversize footpegs have survived the encounters in much better shape. I have somewhat average size 10D paws for all you meta-data miners out there....average guy with an average appreciation for the greater traction, sure footedness and comfort off and on road with my pegs.
Old pegs were donated to JoeMama for his bottle opening oversize custom peg fabrication facilities. Your after-ride long neck will never go unopened when you ride with Joe! Keep him in sight if possible.

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
MSR, I think they were my first real upgrade after riding bike stock for a decade. I didn't specify my brand since there are other good options. I could have gotten the $15 Chinese ebay pegs but treated myself to the MSRs due to my rocky terrain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Alright youve convinced me. Exactly what pegs do you own?
I use these. Good price and they fit well. $17.99 CAD.

Yamaha Motocross MX Black Foot Pegs Footrests - PW50, PW80, TTR90, and TW200 (1981-2012)

You will need to make a minor modification to make em fit right (drill an additional hole in each peg). The extra hole is to accommodate the Spring. I think this is because they are made to fit multiple bikes. Its a super easy mod and will be very apparent to you once you have them in your hands.

Makes your feel fell more planted for sure.

Good luck.

·
Registered
988 Posts
My feet keep slipping off of them when Im on trails and its hard to get my footing right before the next bump. I want to get some bigger ones but will they make cornering more hazardous?
The stock pegs work fine for me. What are you wearing on your feet when riding?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have the DMO Specialties wide pegs, and though I have managed to bang them up pretty thoroughly I've never found them to be hazardous in any way.

The stock pegs really aren't bad, but bigger foot pegs are unbelievably more comfortable for those days when you're spending hours standing on them. Big pegs give the feeling of greater steering control in the dirt as well.

In aggressive street cornering, I have found that the stock rear tire breaks free before the oversized peg makes contact.

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
I changed my stock pegs soon after my levi's got caught on one. A couple Harley buddies and I were going for a ride one beautiful Saturday morning after a night of rain and while they were warming up their piggy's, I decided I was going to slowly mosey over to the nearest large mud puddle and show off. I started up the TW, slowly pulled around them and into the puddle, I was up on the pegs, gassed it, dropped the clutch and was going to rooster them. he he snicker snicker. Well, the TW was cold and the choke wasn't on, I gassed it, dumped the clutch and the bike went Buuaaaaaaaa and died. I was in the middle of the puddle, standing up on the pegs and when I went to put my foot down, it got caught on the pointy stock peg. I couldn't get my levi's unhooked off the peg and the TW and I slowly started falling over into the puddle. At a dead stop, in slow motion, we fell over into the mud puddle and there wasn't anything I could do. I looked like an ice cream cone half dipped in chocolate, except it was mud. Coulda heard those guys laughing a mile away....pegs got ordered right away. :D

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
i was unhappy with my pegs too, i ended up helped developing these. i get nothing from them, but they are solid.

www.dmospecialties.com

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
Well you did a good job then Joe with the development
as mine are very nice.

·
Registered
486 Posts
i was unhappy with my pegs too, i ended up helped developing these. i get nothing from them, but they are solid.

www.dmospecialties.com
That's what I just bought. Tw200 offset oversize pegs. Took a 80 mile ride today with them for the first time. They are perfect! Worth the price IMHO.

Mark F.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Nice to know there's someone making TW wide pegs that have the proper height built into them. The Chinese ones I received had the wrong spring hole on one and were manufactured the same height (which means your feet will be at different heights!). Getting a 100% refund on those eBay specials...

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I thought the stock were fine and was one of the last of the norcal gang to switch to wider pegs. Joemama made me a pair of his "bottle opener" pegs and I must say after riding with them several times they are a lot better then stock!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Wider footpegs are safer. The stock pegs would put pressure in my feet and hurt them. Never looked back at stock pegs. All dual sport bikes should come with wide pegs as standard.

·
Registered
338 Posts
if you are handy with a grinder and can drill your mounts oversize the factory KTM pegs are cheap ($35 or so on ebay) and sturdy as all get out. I used an extra set off my 06 ktm 300. I think 04 and up are the same...not sure...the larger pin is a plus and mine have survived a year of hard use in rocky terrain with a 200+lb rider....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts