TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
A few posts back I mentioned that I enjoyed the 50 degree Yarnell weather while working on clearing a neat old pack trail from days gone by. Today we finished clearing that trail. But going back to yesterday..........

I finally made it up the hill to Yarnell to check my mail. I installed my Lzrdstkr when I returned to camp. And right then and there decided it should go for a ride. I really enjoy this forum and the people on it and the friendly atmosphere. And from my brief time here, it seems that Russ, whom sadley I never had the chance to meet, contributed greatly to that ambiance.

So I and the Stkr went for a ride on the old pack trail. It was unfinished yesterday but it's all about the same. Not that great except it connects two great areas while avoiding two track AtV trails.

So here is about 6 minutes out of 21 ridden. The little 200 just purred right on up without a grumble. And I got to enjoy the scenery along the way.

Super Moderator
You're a good rider man. It looks like so much fun. Wonder how long ago the trail was used? and to go where? Does anyone else go up those trails? See any footprints, bike tracks? It looks like you are the only one in the last century..

Nice job and thanks for sharing.

Registered
looks like more than a few plants that could puncture a tire..... could be a long walk if one wasn't self-sufficient in flat repairs. a great ride, thanks for sharing.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Only cows have currently used this trail. It is probably a century old. A buddy who helped on the trail parked his Husky 250 4T farther down the hill today to start work than I went yesterday. That said, he was carrying a chainsaw and has badly worn knobbies. With his 250KTM with trials tires he'll go right up. I was amazed at how effortly the TW went up. With only 50% or so attention from me! I feel so safe on it.

To where? Most of these trails were either for mine access or an avenue to check cattle and to drive cattle. This trail had a crew of men to build it. It has a pretty wide and deep trail bed. More than would be used for just cattle. So I'm guessing this was a trail built with a well heeled person looking to become better well heeled with some hard rock gold. Which likely never panned out. As most efforts seemed to go.

Registered
And people wonder why we like are tw's, would you want to do this on a big ol klr 650 or bmw or something like that, I know a person could but don't think it would be as much fun. Nice vid looks like fun.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
looks like more than a few plants that could puncture a tire..... could be a long walk if one wasn't self-sufficient in flat repairs. a great ride, thanks for sharing.
Actually, the cacti you see in the video are not really much of a problem with punctures. Believe it or not. I have ridden in this type stuff without a flat for four years on one run. But there is stuff out there that will cause a flat if no sealants are added. I mostly use Slime. Also a more expensive product from Napa. And there is Stan's. And other stuff. But whatever, if you're riding in Arizona, you do need some kind of sealant. I don't think the ATV tires would need it, but I ran it anyhow with the ATV tire.

The main cactus you see in the video can be ridden over like oak leaves. Not a problem. They will not penetrate a tire. I've been riding this stuff for about 8 years now.

Harold

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
And people wonder why we like are tw's, would you want to do this on a big ol klr 650 or bmw or something like that, I know a person could but don't think it would be as much fun. Nice vid looks like fun.
Maybe a 650 with a good rider, but a BMW? I don't think so. And I had an '82 BMW R80G/S. On a TW, smiling all the way. (i did break out a sweat in cool weather though)

Registered
Wow, you add a whole new dimension to the term "trail riding". A nice way to break in your LizrdStckr! Thanks for the enjoyable vid.

Registered
Great video,thanks for sharing. I love the way tw's momentum allows no stress trail-busting,must be due to rotating inertial mass. I eat more sagebrush than cactus here in the GreatBasin but principal is same.

Registered
You kind of take trailblazing to a new level. Looked like a fairly rugged challenging trail. It's always hard to tell how steep it is in video's, but looks like a climb. Funny how TW's always sound like a tractor, but other motorcycles actually sound like, well, a motorcycle!:D It was quick, but did I get a glance at an old rusty water trough? That would explain the "cow trail" part of this trail. I'm always like running across these type of things. You'll have to show us any "treasures" you find on your outings. Oh, and hopefully the rattlesnakes are hibernating, giggle!

Thanks for sharing, I always like your trail video's...and I like desert riding!

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Good eyes!! I made the video and I did not even notice that the old water trough was in it. No idea how they got it up there. I'm thinking it was dragged by a pack animal. I didn't see any hoses but there must be a spring up above it somewhere. Getting water to cattle in the desert is a big deal.

Overgrown??? You should have seen it before we brushed it out a bit.

BTW, I didn't just run into this trail. The discovery was in spurts over a period of about three years. The final location of the last bit was made by creating tracks from Google Earth and downloading them into a hand held GPS and then hiking it to see if it could be ridden if it was brushed out a bit.

Looking for this stuff is my main retirement activity.

Registered
Wow! Trail? (cow or deer trail mabe but.... did I say Wow!)
You are amazing!!!
I think I would have not even contemplated that!
I am impressed.
Thank you for the lesson!
Awesome Job Trailscout!

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Trail? (cow or deer trail mabe but....
It's not obvious in the video because of the growth, but the trail is a heavily constructed trail. The original cuts into the hillside in places are as much as 3-4 feet high with the trail being 4 feet wide in several places. The trail is clearly visible on Google Earth and is how I located the last leg of it.

That said, I have been known to frequent deer and cow trails, you bet!

And I have a 70T rear sprocket. Would have been a bit more strain with more clutch slipping with the 50T on the rear.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts