TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from sunny Florida :cool:

My truck's broke, my car's broke, and I'm borrowing a van that gets 15MPG on the highway and costs $100+ to fill. I want something cheap and reliable to get around town on while I fix the car and truck. If I can put it in the back of my truck and hit trails with it after- so much the better!

I've never ridden a motorcycle, other than when a friend was showing me how to ride his Honda Goldwing. There are riding classes at the local college and I plan to sign up for one this weekend (just an "intro" class, I won't take the actual endorsement course until January.) I can operate everything from helicopters to buses, though, so other than being ran over by BOBs I'm not worried too about it.

I came across the TW200 a couple weeks ago and saw that it would suit my needs and my desire to tinker very well, so I started looking for some locally. Of course the local dealer has a brand new one on the floor, but for the same price I could pay a shop to fix both vehicles and have a lot of money left for gas. Craigslist shows some nice, lightly used ones for great prices... everywhere but here. What I did find locally was an ugly half-white/half-blue 2007 model with 25,000 miles for $1,595 :rolleyes: Does that seems like high mileage for a motorcycle, and a high price for the mileage?

What do you think of this? Is it worth making an offer on, and what would you offer?
(Click the picture to see the CL ad)

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
25K is pretty high mileage for a 6 year old TW, but not unreasonable for your location where you can ride year round. If the bike appears to have been well maintained, I would not let the miles turn you off. The price seems pretty reasonable but I would definitely talk the seller down in price if the bike needs tires, brakes, chain, sprockets or other wear items. If it starts easily, runs well, does not smoke and does not make unusual noises, you probably can't go too wrong on this deal.

Brian

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
25,000 miles is a lot. I would look to get this at around 1000 bucks or perhaps keep looking.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I was told years ago when looking at a used bike, check to see if the chain has been oiled recently, is it well adjusted and are the control cables well lubed. Dry chain and cables can indicate he hasn't done much of anything else maintenance wise.

·
Registered
287 Posts
$1500 would be acceptable with half that many miles. I agree with littletommy, $1000-1200 would be more reasonable.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just so we are clear, that is the color scheme for this year, so nothing has been replaced. Or if it was, it was replaced with year-appropriate parts. The miles aren't too high. Since the motor is so easy to rebuild, it never really gets 'too high' IMO. Things to consider: How is maintenance? What williamemack said was dead on. Check all that stuff. Check for damage as well. Are the front forks the same wear as the rest of the bike? Front rim looking the same as the back? It's all obvious stuff that will jump out you though once you see it in person. If all that checks out, you shouldn't pay more than $1200 and haggle accordingly for the things you find wrong. Ask questions as they come to mind and we will try to help. An easy go-to, common haggle point is the base gasket. It often leaks and is easy to fix, try and see if that's leaking!

Kyle

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
for what it's worth, that doesn't look like the stock muffler, and appears to be missing the spark arrestor. the latter may not be as big a deal in florida, but in the west, with lots of dry forests....

·
Registered
323 Posts
25k, rough plastics (also looks like the left side panel is gone) , missing fork boots, possible rust, modded muffler, throttle grip missing. And that's just from looking at the pictures. A closer inspection would be valuable, but I'd pay no more than 1k from pictures alone. Of course all markets are different - but I'd use all of those points to negotiate the price down from what they are asking.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So I (briefly) took a look at the bike today. The plastics are indeed pretty rough. In addition to missing the left side-panel and everything being faded, the right top front of the fender is all gouged up. That same side that is missing the reflector and throttle grip. As previously noted the shock boots are missing. I'd imagine someone went through a bush and bounced off a tree, or something. The handlebars are an ATV style and a bit rusty, and there is some rust on the frame right below the head tube. The chain was well-oiled, and the throttle and brake levers moved easily. It started quickly, didn't smoke, and sounded nice. All the lights and signals work fine. The tires really are in nice shape. Just a hell of a lot of miles on it. I'll leave it be for now, and see how I feel about it after Christmas. It was only just recently advertised for sale, so the price can only go down the longer it sits.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
800 bucks, but if it were me, I would keep looking.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
If the guy wasnt even willing to replace the grip there are definitely more things he neglected. You should always fix things up before selling unless of course you really don't give a shit like this guy. PASS

·
Registered
395 Posts
Cut it in half and negotiate no more than 10% higher than that. It took me 8 months, but I finally found my 87 with 3300 miles @ $1100. I know your pressed for time but that is way to high for that mileage. Maybe if it were rebuilt, but I'd still need to see some receipts.

·
Registered
323 Posts
So I (briefly) took a look at the bike today. The plastics are indeed pretty rough. In addition to missing the left side-panel and everything being faded, the right top front of the fender is all gouged up. That same side that is missing the reflector and throttle grip. As previously noted the shock boots are missing. I'd imagine someone went through a bush and bounced off a tree, or something. The handlebars are an ATV style and a bit rusty, and there is some rust on the frame right below the head tube. The chain was well-oiled, and the throttle and brake levers moved easily. It started quickly, didn't smoke, and sounded nice. All the lights and signals work fine. The tires really are in nice shape. Just a hell of a lot of miles on it. I'll leave it be for now, and see how I feel about it after Christmas. It was only just recently advertised for sale, so the price can only go down the longer it sits.
All sounds like minor issues - of course your judgement is the one that counts. I'd really look closely at the forks and frame to make sure nothing was bent, the headlight fairing is missing factory stickers so it may be a replacement from whatever incident befell the bike. Did the odo actually show 25k miles? I'm assuming it did, but again wonder if the fairing was replaced possibly the instrument cluster was as well (with a unit from an older bike with many more miles than actual). If somebody put 25000 miles on it, my hats off to them. I guess they didn't give you any history of the bike? The place looks like it sells more heavy machinery and equipment than bikes/cars from the webpage, so they are probably motivated to move it out. I'd still say $800-900 would be in the ballpark.

Cut it in half and negotiate no more than 10% higher than that. It took me 8 months, but I finally found my 87 with 3300 miles @ $1100. I know your pressed for time but that is way to high for that mileage. Maybe if it were rebuilt, but I'd still need to see some receipts.
Personally, a rebuild would cause more concern for me. I'd rather see high mileage. A rebuild indicates a major issue that needed addressed, and no telling if it was a quality rebuild. JMO.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The bike belongs to the son of the shop owner. There was also a *very nice* alumacraft with 25HP Merc and trailer for only $3,000 there, so I know not everything is priced so poorly. It was only recently listed, so I'm assuming his son just priced it high to start with and see who bites. I didn't call ahead, just showed up and asked about the boat. They mostly sell and repair trailers, so I asked where the boat came from. "It's my brother's boat," was the reply. I asked if there were any other random things for sale, and he said "my son has a motorcycle inside the garage he's selling."

The odometer does show 25k miles, and as it has a tripometer, it can't be that old...

·
Registered
323 Posts
The odometer does show 25k miles, and as it has a tripometer, it can't be that old...
It was just a passing thought.

I'm still impressed with the mileage whoever put on it. :) They must've really liked it! There's a few on the board that have really racked up the miles on their TW - I'm not one of them. It'd take me another 10 years or so to see that number. :D

·
Registered
925 Posts
Keep looking. $1,500.00 should get you a nice 1995 to 2005 TW that someone has babied. Lots of TW owners are that way. My experience is used TWs are either pristine, trashed, or stolen. The one you're looking at is #2.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In FL, everything is more expensive. If I had $1500 to spend, I'd have my Comanche towed to a shop and the new gears and lockers would be getting installed :D This is the only used one for sale within 50 miles. When I look within 250 miles, quite a few pop up, but nothing for less than $2,000 (even that one has 10k on it, but at least it's silver). I'll keep looking and see what I can find after Christmas. I really want to stick to 2001+, for the front disc and newer carb.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts