TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd introduce myself. Grown up around bikes with my Dad and my first bike I rode was a Yamaha TY80 and then worked up to a TY125 and a TY175. Now I've had 5 years driving experience I thought it's time that I'd get a motorbike and found out about the TW's so went out and bought one!

Spoiler alert - it's not a TW200. It's a baby TW125 but once I pass my UK test I'd like to get a TW200 or a TW225 (IF I can find one!!)

Photo of when I got it home, little tatty in places. Few areas of surface rust but otherwise all solid and legal. roughly 15,000 mileage and passed it's MOT with 0 advisories and got a good price for it all too! So very happy for my first bike. Just needs a little TLC which I have done!

Rear swing arm is a bit rusty, you can see a few tiny areas of the frame where the paint has come off a little but nothing major. Engine is a little flakey so will sort that also.

Tank is in pretty good condition apart from the other side there is a bit of a dent but could push out with a bit of effort. I'm looking at getting a purple tank anyway or a blue one at some point so will leave that. for now.

First job was to give it a good service. Bought new NGK spark plug, hi-flow filters (air and oil) new sump O ring and sump plug (i broke the old one sorry haha, if it broke it needed replacing anyway!!)

Spark plug was a bit manky but otherwise not too bad.

New and old filters

Old oil was a bit black and crappy so was a good job i decided to do a service! Replaced with Silkoline oil

Was a little disheartening seeing a few metal bits in the engine oil filter but at least the old filter caught them.

Took all the plastic off so I could have a look closer at the frame. Just mostly muddy and dirty. Few rust patches so sanded those down, treated them and them painted over with hammerite gloss black. I thought as it was a high impact area the hammerite would be good just to keep it protected in the long run.

Looks good all painted up compared to before! Bare in mind this is DRY and not WET so it really is glossy and not faked by taking a photo when it's wet.

Can just about see I painted the rear swing arm in this picture, you can probably remember it being quite rusty there too. Again, sanded it down as best as I could, treated it and them painted over with hammerite smooth silver.

All back together to finish off the weekend. Already looking much better than when I got it!

Then all back apart again as I bought some VHT satin black paint to paint over the engine and exhaust to tidy that up also! Finally got rid of that horrible silver bit on the side of the clutch cover, used a roller for that to get a better finish. Same story with the head fins, they were patchy and flaking off. I got rid of all the flakey bits, sanded as much as I could in the limited space and then painted over with a soft brush. Quite happy and surprised with the finish!

Also took off the smash plate and cleaned it, the underside was completely caked with mud mixed with oil etc! Cleaned it off both sides and then painted on fairly thick with hammerite smooth silver (not bothered about this bit looking good just wanted the protection to last as it's a very high impact zone.)

Both sides are painted I only got a picture of this side. Will wait for it to dry, do a more even coat with a roller rather than a brush and then fit the bike back together and it's pretty much ready to go!

Have my CBT on Saturday (in the UK we have to do this basic training before being allowed out as a learner) and then all I've got to do is tax it and insure! Will hopefully have that done over the weekend if not in the next week or so. Planning to do my actual bike test next year when I am 24 (November) which means I will be able to do the direct access course and be able to ride any engine sized bike. Even though the TW200 isn't that big of an engine, I want to ride some of my Dad's bikes which are up to around 750cc so I'll need the full ability!

Thanks for reading! Hope you like my bike and I hope what I've done so far to it is satisfactory :)

Registered
Looking good. That is a surprising amount of metal trapped by the filter but who knows if the filter was ever cleaned when the oil was changed? Keep up the good work and keep us posted on any further progress. Take care.

Tom

Registered
Looks like you did a good job. Love the Orange fuel tank.
You can clean that oil filter and use it again-and-again. Looks like it was doing the job it was supposed to do.
Congrats, have fun and ride safe.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone much appreciated!

Got it all back together today with the smash/sump guard in place and the plastic all together

Next thing I'd like to do is replace the old worn seat to tidy it up further. It's not too bad but could do with a new one so if anyone has one for sale, let me know!

Also slight issue only noticed it today, bike starts and runs fine but sometimes cuts out / revs decrease under hard throttle and sometimes when engaging the choke. Also, ODDLY when engaging it in gear but not releasing the clutch at all it cuts out. Very confused. (I understand how engines work but can never figure a problem out haha) help please!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
May be worth checking the sidestand cutout switch, it could be sticking.
Yeah my Dad said it could be something to do with that also, will check it when i get the time!

Probably going to take the carb off for the running issue and clean it all up as looking at previous MOT's it's barely done any miles, less than 1,000 since 2012! So probably been sitting around a lot resulting in the carb getting clogged up. I'm sure some fresh fuel in it will help also.

Love that tan decal "Adventure Traiway" is the the original Yamaha graphics for the TW125 ?
Yup as far as I am aware! If you Google 'TW125 orange' most of the tanks have the same decal on them so I assume so! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
So we took off the sidestand cutoff switch and bypassed it which now allows it to go into gear without stalling so good shout on that one!

However, after about a minute of riding it cuts out again and then the issue persists. The bike seems to run better after bypassing the switch also... So I've also got another electrical issue somewhere else preventing it from running properly. Anyone know what else going be preventing it?

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Not to worry, the issue was the connector for the side stand switch that sits around the battery area. The plastic clip has broken so under vibrations it slowly works the connector out of place. Have secured it with some electrical tape for now but got a new switch on order and also a clutch cable as found mine to be a little worn for my liking.

Spent a good few hours riding it around today once I got it going! Absolutely love it

Registered
I like the Orange too, I think you need to take the Carb off like you mentioned and clean it really good. Clean the Pilot Jet really good and make sure you can spray Carb cleaner thru the hole where you took the Pilot Jet out and see that it comes out the other end really nice. Same with Main Jet, Check Float Adjustment well you have it off and opened up Too. Make sure you don't start it up before you put a inline Fuel Filter on it, or you just might plug it up again. My tanks were full of rust flakes and the pet cocks were really nasty and the greens were gone and probably trying the make thru the Carb's.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Pictures for the sake of pictures

Parked up next to my Dad's Norton F1 JPS prototype, notice how they share the exact same headlight!

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Little update

Wired in some DRL's into the sidelight wiring so they come on with the sidelights and are not always on draining the battery. Mainly added them for safety so can be seen better but I also think it looks good too!

They are only lightly glue gun'd in place for now so it doesn't look too nasty. I want to at some point cut a hole for them in the headlight surround.

They are pretty bright! Just need to upgrade the headlight bulb, won't do that until Autumn time as I won't be riding late enough to need a super bright headlight.

Hopefully getting it insured in the next 2 weeks or so.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Got it insured and spent a few hours riding around last night and to work this morning. All good! Think I might spend a few extra hours riding it around tonight too!

Registered
That orange is a great color. You've already improved it a lot. The pictures are great. You'll be glad you have them. I forgot to take a lot of pics before I cleaned mine and made other improvements.

Many of the experienced TDub forum members have been very helpful to me because I know very little about mechanics. They have helped me prioritize the things I should improve and get the most improvement at the lowest cost.

They have pointed out that most carb work should start with proper adjustment of the AIR-FUEL MIXTURE SCREW. When I got mine set properly, it made my bike run WAY BETTER. And it cost nothing. And I didn't even need to remove the carb from the bike. I was planning to remove and clean and rebuild and possibly even replace my carb. But it already runs so much better, I'll save that for a winter project, if at all.

Welcome, cheers, and enjoy. That old Norton looks pretty nice too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
That orange is a great color. You've already improved it a lot. The pictures are great. You'll be glad you have them. I forgot to take a lot of pics before I cleaned mine and made other improvements.

Many of the experienced TDub forum members have been very helpful to me because I know very little about mechanics. They have helped me prioritize the things I should improve and get the most improvement at the lowest cost.

They have pointed out that most carb work should start with proper adjustment of the AIR-FUEL MIXTURE SCREW. When I got mine set properly, it made my bike run WAY BETTER. And it cost nothing. And I didn't even need to remove the carb from the bike. I was planning to remove and clean and rebuild and possibly even replace my carb. But it already runs so much better, I'll save that for a winter project, if at all.

Welcome, cheers, and enjoy. That old Norton looks pretty nice too.
Thanks! I love doing project threads, it's great to look back and see how far you have come.

Played about with the carb and the bike performs much better now too.

Also have a brand new clutch cable fitted which has helped the ride ability lots!

Love riding it about, even done a small spot of off roading and trail finding on it with my mate who has a Chinese scrambler style bike. His is faster, but is no match for my rear wheel/tyre combo! Will post photos of the adventures.

Am looking to get some LED spotlights to mount on the forks for when we do some night riding round the lanes, hopefully brighten up the tracks a lot! Any one done anything similar?

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Unfortunately I'm in the UK otherwise I'd have snapped that up!

Next time one is available in the UK I'll buy it. Have it in my alerts on eBay :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts