TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Down last night. Lost all his equipment and hay for animals- but animals all survived. A few are a little less hairy. With the cold and wind the cows need shelter he is hoping to get a mobile shed/lean to tomorrow. No water yet for animals either. Neighbor brought him a round bale of hay so they are fed. He'll haul buckets of water but it will freeze fast. Rich from Ina store came to give value of tractors and equipment lost. He pulled in as I was leaving- I said I didn't have anything to do with the loss of tractor this time. Yep one was the replacement for the tractor I was hit on. Now it's going to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike thank-you
He has insurance adjuster will be out Friday weather permitting. He is mostly worried that with forecasted weather he won't be able to get cows shelter and keep water as a liquid. Neighbors are giving him hay. But he lost both his tractors and backhoe.
RBM
Than-you
It was an old barn but mostly been re done. 2 year old metal roof. Wiring is suspect but that's an always.
Barn was gone when alerted to fire. But fire department must be called and do a"minimum" for insurance to be happy. I didn't know this.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Unfortunate. I wonder why? Wolfy will bear me out on this (I think) in the old days, barns burned for limited reasons, lightening if they didn't have grounded rods, mis-use of lanterns, and mostly because of green hay. If you don't salt hay well and you put it away green and wet it generates heat like you could never imagine. Seems too late in season for that. Anyway, glad he is taking care of the animals, it's cold in these parts right now. Call the Amish, they can do a barn in a day.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yup, a neighbor rolled some hay up that was a little to wet & it burned two of those big open-sided hay sheds with the I-beam girders into a shapeless pretzel of twisted iron. It had been stored for over a month before spontaneous combustion heated it enough for it to actually burst into flames.

·
Registered
198 Posts
That sounds like a lot of fun......I've been looking at a few of the videos of the rides through that area, but it looks like I have another 'bump in the road' to take care of first. I had a total replacement of my right hip about 5 years ago and now I think the other one is following suit.......doctor's appointment with my old silhouette shooting buddy/surgeon on the 14th for X-rays to make sure. It will mean more physical therapy before I can even swing a leg over the seat of the newly acquired TW, but I will attack the therapy sessions with a vengeance before riding weather gets here. One thing right after another, it seems!:(

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
You are very right Rocky. I live in the heart of Amish Country. They worked for us on the farms. Amazing folks. I've hammered on barn buildings. Amish parties are something else, and their weddings take two days. Not the people you would really think from the outside. They can be incredibly fun and charitable.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Padilen, that imparts an evil animus. Much better to accept that bad stuff happens. Just because it does, and sometimes good people get caught in the middle of it. But bad things never happen to good people because they are good. Trust me on this one.

·
Registered
19,210 Posts
Cherie, so sorry to hear of neighbor's misfortune.

Sidenote: Wolfy, getting the anterior approach as opposed to the traditional posterior surgical incision for a total hip replacement? Associated trauma and recovery time is so much less with anterior approach. Today Doc removed surgical staples from wife's hip following surgery one week ago. We were walking together today along Donnor Lake afterwards and later out to lunch . Amazing recovery time. Don't know about swinging a leg over a cycle and riding though. Forget Moab until you are 100% but consider a qualified surgeon in most modern procedure if you are a viable candidate.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Fred, thank you for the comments! I should have elaborated a bit more on Doctor Nelson. Those are exactly the procedures he used on me last time and I was up and walking, shuffling actually, the very next day. I'm just impatient and it does seem like a long road back to "normal." The secret is to just keep moving, I think.......I really want to be able to ride the TW this Spring!!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's amazing Fred. I must be a big baby my ankle takes a lot longer to heal. With ankles blood clots are a big worry are hips the same? I hope she continues to heal well.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Around here the Amish use non-pneumatic bicycle tires. Solid rubber. Because they believe the devil rides on air.
The devil rides on Air.................................Force One.

Tom

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
.............. Lost all his equipment and hay for animals- but animals all survived........................
That is just horrible about your friend's loss. I hope the insurance company comes through for him.

Here is a picture of a what I am pretty sure was a motorcycle. This is a small example of what was "The San Bruno Fire".

Look close.............there might be two bikes in this picture.

P9240516a.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts