TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a rear Cyclerack and have thought of several ways to utilize it for gear storage and transport. Here is one design I completed yesterday to fulfill the needs of certain types of road trips. I saw these utility storage boxes at Academy in the marine section. ($14.99 each)They are light, but very sturdy and are lockable. Basically, they are large plastic ammo cans and even have rubber gaskets in the lids. They come in different sizes and colors and very reasonable in price.
I first made a plywood deck for the Cyclerack and coated it with a heavy coat of spray-on Plasti-dip. Another option would be truck bed liner. I mounted it onto the Cyclerack with metal electrical conduit clamps that I coated in black Plasti-dip to protect the finish of the Cyclerack. The plywood deck is removable and takes about ten minutes to do so. I then bolted the utility storage boxes to the deck from the inside of the boxes using appropriate hardware, including rubber washers to make them leak proof. The bottoms of the boxes are very sturdy in design and the deck is firmly attached to the Cyclerack. This makes for three separate storage compartments to segregate fuel, food, clothes, etc.
The whole rig is amazingly light but very sturdy in design. I made a test ride to 55 MPH and detected no buffeting. It felt like it wasn't even there. (see attached photos)
I'm now working to build another option for gear storage that involves a Plano gear box I also found at Academy.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,366 Posts
Very clever. Flat rear of your cyclerack seems so much superior to standard turned up rear. Very clean install, plastidip is nice touch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, everyone! I do like the flat Cyclerack as it lends to more versatility. The plywood decks are easy to build and change out quickly and can be designed to accommodate whatever cargo you need to carry.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I like the idea of the plastic dip. Whenever I get around to installing my storage box, I planned to use J hooks and some kind of plastic tubing on them. but the dip stuff sounds better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts