TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I Placed my S&W .357 revolver on the table right next to my front door. I left 6 cartridges beside it, then left it alone and went about my business.

While I was gone, the mailman delivered my mail, the neighbor's son across the street mowed the yard, a girl walked her dog down the street, and quite a few cars stopped at the "stop" sign near the front of my house.

After about an hour, I checked on the gun. It was quietly sitting there, right where I had left it. It had not moved itself outside. It had not killed anyone. Certainly, even with the Numerous opportunities it had presented to do that. In fact, it had not even loaded itself.

Well you can imagine my surprise, with all the hype by the Left and the media about how dangerous guns are and how they kill people. Either the media is wrong or I'm in possession of the laziest gun in the world.

The United States is 3rd in Murders Throughout The World. But if you take away just 5 cities: Chicago, Detroit, Washington DC, St Louis and New Orleans -- the United States is 4th from the bottom, in the ENTIRE World, for Murders.

These 5 Cities are controlled by Democrats. They also have the toughest gun control laws in the USA. However, it would be absurd to draw any conclusions from this data ... right?

Well, I'm off to check on my spoons; I hear they're making people fat.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Actually Detroit has to follow the laws of the State of Michigan which is a shall issue state. Open carry is also legal in Michigan, hence Detroit. Open carry is not legal in Texas which is considered to have some of the most lax gun laws. Recently the Chief Law Enforcement Officer for the City of Detroit has encouraged law abiding citizens to get their concealed carry permits and to carry.

Detroit is still a liberal crap hole but crime, especially violent crime is dropping. That may be due in large part to the mass exodus of the working class out of Detroit due to loss of jobs and now there is no longer anyone to hold up.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually Detroit has to follow the laws of the State of Michigan which is a shall issue state. Open carry is also legal in Michigan, hence Detroit. Open carry is not legal in Texas which is considered to have some of the most lax gun laws. Recently the Chief Law Enforcement Office for the City of Detroit has encouraged law abiding citizens to get their concealed carry permits and to carry.

Detroit is still a liberal crap hole but crime, especially violent crime is dropping. That may be due n large part to the mass exodus of the working class out of Detroit due to loos of jobs and now there is no longer anyone to hold up.
Yes and NO! Thugs tend to stay where they can make a decent living but places like Detroit, Chicago and many others still have plenty of criminal activity going on in the inner cities and mostly centered around drugs. Most of the working class middle income folks have bailed or got down sized and left for better work. What is left are what we see protesting and looting. Most crime is centered around black on black or other minorities against each other and many are never reported until someone gets dead or seriously injured. Michigan is far from alone in this respect and here in NY the last places you want to go are Newburgh and Poughkeepsie.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,496 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,991 Posts
I'm on one right now, which makes me say grumpy things like post #2. :D
Its impossible for me to even try dieting between Halloween and new years...

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Its impossible for me to even try dieting between Halloween and new years...
Come on LT......I haven't forgotten.........-25# gets you a new rain suit. ;)

jb

·
Super Moderator
17,991 Posts

·
Banned
18 Posts
The United States is 3rd in Murders Throughout The World. But if you take away just 5 cities: Chicago, Detroit, Washington DC, St Louis and New Orleans -- the United States is 4th from the bottom, in the ENTIRE World, for Murders.
These 5 Cities are controlled by Democrats. They also have the toughest gun control laws in the USA.

Both of you guys are perpetuating an urban myth that's often posted on Facebook and other web sites.

See this page which debunks your mythical 'infographic'.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Open carry is not legal in Texas which is considered to have some of the most lax gun laws.
Open Carry and Concealed Campus Carry (with some restrictions) were approved in the last Texas Legislature session and go into effect on January 1, 2016. Concealed Carry License holders can open carry with no further application or permit. Just today a local school district announced that teachers will be allowed to carry during classes and on campus after a physical and physiological review and final approval by their school board and I suspect many other districts will follow suit.

I would not consider Texas gun laws to be lax and we were surprisingly late in approving Open Carry. We have the standard 30.06 and 30.07 restrictions on bars, polling places, hospitals, and public meetings. Individual businesses have the right to deny firearms on their premises but those are relatively few. We don't have the moronic "assault weapon" restrictions like California so all of my several semi-automatic military rifles and carbines with large capacity mags and bayonets are still legal to own and long guns and black powder handguns have always been legal to carry openly. Local jurisdictions, i.e., counties and cities, cannot impose any restrictions on what the state laws allow.

Before concealed carry was approved several years ago it was legal to carry a handgun in your automobile when traveling outside your home county but to eliminate confusion the law was changed to consider autos, motorcycles, RVs, boats, etc. an extension of your home where handguns could be carried openly or concealed without any permit and directly from or to your home and vehicle. You were also allowed to carry a handgun without a CCL while hunting.

Private sales of firearms are permitted without a FFL or background check but I now use my local gun dealer for that purpose on all the weapons I sell.

A number of county sheriffs and city police chiefs have gone on record encouraging all citizens to be armed. It is just common sense and makes it safer for everyone, except the criminals and thugs.

It does not usually make the national news but there are numerous instances where robberies, assaults and home invasions have been prevented or thwarted, often with deadly consequences for the perpetrators.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I live outside Detroit and the tide is changing. The police and police chief publicly support gun ownership(legal) and the publics right to defend themselves. It is not the most restrictive city by any means on gun ownership.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[/CENTER]

Both of you guys are perpetuating an urban myth that's often posted on Facebook and other web sites.

Once again Splat you have missed the entire point of my post and prefer to knit pick on stupid stuff. You seem to have an incessant desire to over blow anything that does not fit into your particular agenda and hatred of our second amendment. Allow me to help you out here. The basic point is that my gun did not, does not and cannot kill anyone without some jackwagon pulling the trigger.

Even the study you link is pretty useless because all of these statistics can be skewed in any way the author sees fit. A more realistic statistic for the purpose of this discussion would be to find the stats on "Criminal Murder by Guns" and I challenge you to go find that and post it here. Don't include deaths by suicide, knives, hammers, bats or any other blunt or pointed objects. I will make an uneducated guess that more people in the US die each year from drunk/drugged driving than by criminal gun murder. Also bet that more people in the US die each year from homicides committed without the use of guns. I will even go so far as betting more people in the US die each year from drug overdoses both legal and illegal drugs.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Once again Splat you have missed the entire point of my post and prefer to knit pick on stupid stuff. You seem to have an incessant desire to over blow anything that does not fit into your particular agenda and hatred of our second amendment. Allow me to help you out here. The basic point is that my gun did not, does not and cannot kill anyone without some jackwagon pulling the trigger.

Even the study you link is pretty useless because all of these statistics can be skewed in any way the author sees fit. A more realistic statistic for the purpose of this discussion would be to find the stats on "Criminal Murder by Guns" and I challenge you to go find that and post it here. Don't include deaths by suicide, knives, hammers, bats or any other blunt or pointed objects. I will make an uneducated guess that more people in the US die each year from drunk/drugged driving than by criminal gun murder. Also bet that more people in the US die each year from homicides committed without the use of guns. I will even go so far as betting more people in the US die each year from drug overdoses both legal and illegal drugs.

GaryL
Well said Gary.

Reminds of a bumper sticker i saw once that i quote quite often when talking to liberals. "Ted Kennedy's car killed more people than my gun has"

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
[/CENTER]

Hey Splat...why don't you kiss my mythical Ass? Your "Fact" page, like your manhood, is a myth, run by left wing ass clowns...and it's stats have NOTHING to do with Gun Murders...but keep trying little man, but mom is probably calling you to come up from the basement for snack time.:p

Let's See, Little Man Splat{no doubt a trolling fool from the ADV Rider Basement} now has 12 posts and ZERO are about TW or Motorcycle Riding, and nary a hometown or region to claim as his own...keep hiding son, or better yet, just get the Hell out of here or go back to the other vermin in the ADV Basement

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Hey Splat...why don't you kiss my mythical Ass? Your "Fact" page, like your manhood, is a myth, run by left wing ass clowns...and it's stats have NOTHING to do with Gun Murders...but keep trying little man, but mom is probably calling you to come up from the basement for snack time.:p

Let's See, Little Man Splat{no doubt a trolling fool from the ADV Rider Basement} now has 12 posts and ZERO are about TW or Motorcycle Riding, and nary a hometown or region to claim as his own...keep hiding son, or better yet, just get the Hell out of here or go back to the other vermin in the ADV Basement

Well said Hoot!! you get an ATTA BOY for that one!

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
^^^That would get me banned in some places...but I them call when I smell them...and Splat smells like a Troll {Not to be mistaken for our Troll from North of the Frozen Tundra}:victorious:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts