TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I cut to the front at a red light, in the left only lane. then lady-morally-perturbed-by-my-lane-splitting (LMP) pulls up to the front of the straight ahead lane next to me. LMP rolls down her window and says "trying to get yourself killed?!" I say, "no. how?" LMP says "pulling to the front like that" (I went in front of two stopped cars, I was going like 3 mph) I said "in some states that's legal, was it really that dangerous?" and LMP got even angrier and said she hopes I "get pulled over for being an idiot" (which i guess really should be a crime now that I think about it). I pointed to my licence plate, told her to call the cops & flipped my visor back down. all in a days work

·
Registered
976 Posts
I used to lane split all the time because I saw other bikes doing it and assumed that like most other things I want to do, it would be legal here in AZ. Of course I found out that California is the only state that allows MC lane splitting. We almost got lane splitting legalized here last year, but the Governor wouldn't sign the bill.

As you said jckosnow, it seems the biggest opponents of lane splitting are a tiny minority of non-riding finger-waggers. Funny how small groups of loud opinionated people consistently get their way and ruin things for everyone.

I enjoyed this video, for those who haven't seen it: How and Why Motorcycle Lane Splitting is Safe and Good

·
Registered
736 Posts
when I'm riding in Asia its common practice...really there are few traffic laws enforced...passing in same lane, passing in curves into traffic,etc. traveling at around 35mph its not quite as dangerous..lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you want people to treat you with the same respect as any other vehicle on the road you should abide by the same rules as every other vehicle. Lane splitting is only going to piss people off, its not worth it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Even though it fully legal here in California, they warn you to watch for ignorant drivers. Actually, it's illegal for them

to impede you but that doesn't stop 'em. I've had bozos edge over to block me on purpose many times. And I

observed once where the loud pipe equipped unit startled the car driver so much she lurched right into him!

BE ALERT!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Sooo... Let me get this straight! If indeed Calfornya IS the only state that allows lane splitting, I, I, don't know what to think, after all, everything else in this state is illegal, and anything that is legal is still a gray area, or is quickly on it's way to being banned. I feel strange, no, wait, normal, no, wait...
m.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I've lived here in CA most of my life and of course see it all the time. I've never thought it looked very safe. I have never done it but really don't ride on the freeway or in big cities. I would do it if stuck in a traffic jam but have never gone to front of of the line at a traffic light. Guess I'm just not in that much in a hurry (which is why I ride the Tdub). I live in Woodland (50,000 population) so traffic jams are not very common...

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
I do it quite often at red lights and 99% of the time no problem. I do feel if you cut to the head of the line that once the light turns green one is morally obligated to get the heck out of the way and not hold up everybody else, otherwise stay in line and take your turn.

As for the other 1%, my worst experience was a young teenage driver that took my lane splitting as a personal insult to his manhood. He passed me on the right by driving on the shoulder and then edged to his left forcing me either into oncoming traffic or slowing down and letting him pass -- which I did. As fate would have it the next time traffic stopped for whatever reason I passed him and about 7 or 8 other cars and was on my way.

As for being legal in this state I have often wondered for how much longer? It seems the jerks in Sacramento think there job is to pass laws forbidding everything. Anyone notice all the new gun laws being purposed?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Lane splitting was recently successfully defended using the "green" angle. It will probably not be challenged again.

Logic being that it relieves congestion and saves penguins and stuff.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Lane splitting, as most of you know, is legal in CA. The law was changed for 2013 to make it a safer practice. Anybody who thinks it's not dangerous though is kidding themselves. I for one no longer do it and haven't for many, many years. I ride respectfully, or at least that's what I call it, not that you guys don't. I don't weave thru traffic, cut to the front at a light or LS. I believe in karma and karma can be a bitch and I don't want to be handed a plate full of it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Every time I go to Cali I really do have to get used to the bikes squeezing by me. I often drive big one ton dually's with trailers and I don't have much lane left over but when a bike squeezes up beside me at lights I basically have to wait for them to get ahead of me before I can start out (they usually boogie right out)

I buy most of my wrecked bikes in Cali so lane splitting is great for my business (the salvage pools in the Bay area are a literal sea of wrecked bikes!)

I would never do it myself I just don't trust other drivers that well

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Do what feels comfortable for you. I've been splitting lanes quite safely and confidently for over 40 years now. But I bring my brain when I ride.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
I buy most of my wrecked bikes in Cali so lane splitting is great for my business (the salvage pools in the Bay area are a literal sea of wrecked bikes!)

Bigger state, larger population, longer riding season all add up to more wrecks.

The real nuts are the guys splitting lanes while going down the freeway at 70 mph. Now that is crazy!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Bigger state, larger population, longer riding season all add up to more wrecks.

The real nuts are the guys splitting lanes while going down the freeway at 70 mph. Now that is crazy!

I agree 100% and I love California, I love motorcycles and always have!

I should make it clear that I don't blame the riders for all the wrecked bikes in fact I think 99% of those wrecked bikes in the salvage pools are there because of hapless 4 wheelers

·
Registered
69 Posts
Lane splitting is not safe for the rider or the driver and if you think otherwise you are just kidding yourself. When you lane split you are in someone else's lane and they might not know it. When I took the rider test the handbook talks about using different parts of the lane to protect your lane from another car trying to enter it while your there. When you lane split you are doing just the opposite. Why would it be wrong for the car to use different parts of their lane to protect it from being entered. Its the same argument that road bicyclist use that they have the same right away as a car(which they do)to ride on busy two lane highways out in the road and hold up 10 cars behind them. So yes what they are doing is legal but it doesn't make it safe. It would be a good epitaph though "what I was doing was legal I was in the right". Just my opinion though so its worth what you paid for it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
At lights I get it, its totally reasonable. Slow moving objects = low risk. But I remember being stuck on the 405 in gridlock once and seeing sportbikes white-lining between the cars at 25 plus mph with only inches to spare on those bulky bikes. Ever since then It gives me the willies to even think about lane splitting. It wouldnt take much, maybe even just a stray cigarette butt or some litter, and with no room on either side your gonna go for a hell of a rough ride for sure. See Video for further clarification.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDfQo1ANeLM

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Lane splitting is not safe for the rider or the driver and if you think otherwise you are just kidding yourself.

When traffic is stopped I don't think it is any more dangerous than weaving through a bunch of trees -- just more expensive if you scratch a car than a tree. When traffic is moving I get in line -- I agree a sudden unexpected move by a car can be disastrous.

I have watched riders during rush hours, when car are moving about 45 or 50, zoom up the white dotted line at about 75. The only answer is those guys are suicidal and want to die.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts