TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally in production for around $50,000 here is the Sherp. I have followed this fellow's prototype designs for years and am glad to see he has secured venture capitol to begin production. Suppose I could sell my bikes, boats and 4x4s and join the world of skid steer adventure ATVs. Room to sleep in the back if stuck in the outback and a lot more fun than a Bobcat. Cheaper than a lot of rigs seen in Moab too.

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
43 kph top speed is a bit slow compared to Florida's air boats and swamp buggies but it will get you there and back. Better suited for taiga, tundra and musket of the far north. Awesome though. Would be as good for SAR ice rescues as some fire department's hovercraft here in the states. A little slow for whitewater and flood rescues but good for a avalanche rescue/recovery we had last weekend.
Here is an video of an earlier Garagashyan prototype. Production version is not too different. Used to be impressive videos of operation over rocky sub-arctic dry land that I can no longer find.:(

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another Russian prototype finally making it into production is the Taurus two wheel drive folding motorcycle. The replacement of the inner tube for tires with real tires as well as a Honda power plant have more than doubled the original weigh, yet is still less than half the weight of a TW and will fit in a sedan's trunk.

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Being American made I think I know of one of our members would opt for the Ripsaw.;)
Good old thundering American V-8 beats the Ruskie's 4-banger. The various Ripsaws have been under development by the Howe brothers for years with a little help of some DARPA and Army funding. So they were designed and originally built with more battlefield durability in mind than recreational applications. Well named, well designed machines with several proposed models for differing missions.
Maybe Trump will get the US Army to place orders, or sell some to Russian millionaires who want to kick butt on a simple SHERP.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
The Ripsaw is pretty cool but I don't think it would fair well in deep mud or water. The Sherp is just made for that sort of stuff and would do very well here in South Florida swamps. I just wonder how tough those tires are? A Cypress knot can have a wicked point!

·
Registered
20,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the high flow rate onboard air compressor should be able to replace any lost air from a puncture. Some of the videos seem to imply all four tires can be aired up in under 20 seconds.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Seen a video with one of those before, really awesome machines. would be cool to play in one. Although this is the first Ive seen of a Ripsaw

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Ripsaw has been around for a while. A lot of their stuff is on youtube including a ripsaw track chair for hunting. That 4wheeler is just a super sized skid steer. Seem one made that would fit on a car trailer would be the one to have. Of course they have had those out for some time, Argos, in 6x6 and 8x8 versions. They even put small outboards on them and put full length tracks over the tires. See quite a few in Alaska. Although smaller, they do get around.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts