TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
twhg3.jpg tw.jpg twhg.jpg twhg1.jpg

I searched for good used, decided on new. Rock River Powersports in Johnson Creek for 3900.00 I chose a TW because it will function as a good town scooter and a really fun bike up at the cabin in Clark county. Because it is street legal you can use all atv trails and of course all the gravel roads.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I like the colors! Go ahead and put an o-ring chain on it and spare yourself the maintenance and expense of the stock piece of crap chain. Change the oil often. Use real gas. You and your machine will develop a surprisingly intimate relationship.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Bro, never apologize for a new machine. Its awesome. There is no substitute for first man at the helm. I'm happy for you. Love it and enjoy it. Personalize it as you see fit. All the great people here will help you keep it running for decades.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Jimied, I came to a clearance-priced new TW for much the same reasons about two years ago, and I've never looked back!

I was happy to spend a few extra C-notes for a brand new machine that I could ruin myself. :)

You're gonna love this bike.

·
Registered
592 Posts
How does the wind screen mount?
Could you please post a photo of the back side of it...Thanks

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
How does the wind screen mount?
Could you please post a photo of the back side of it...Thanks
The Jimbo screen simply mounts behind the stock cowl, using the same attachments. Do a search, there is like a gazillion pics & mentions of it as it is so awesome. Most tw's wear one, and most owners believe it should be OEM.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I got the 2014 coming too. Wish the front headlight Cowell was black, I probably will order the part from partzilla. . Congrats on a sweet machine. :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Congratulations Jimied! These are fun little bikes. It makes an AWESOME around town scoot (mine is used 90% of the time for that). The stock front tire if you decide to wear it out before ordering a better type/tread pattern should last you at least 6,000miles. I've got just shy of 6500mi on my stocker and it along with the rear are being replaced as soon as UPS delivers them. The rear should last you much, much longer but since mine is original from 2003; it's time to be replaced due to the rubber hardening. IF you hadn't already done so, learn from others regarding stuff to fix that wasn't set up right from the factory:

1. Pull the air/fuel mix plug on the bottom of the carb to turn the fuel screw somewhere between 2-3 turns out. Alot of people have done this by drilling a really small, shallow hole in the plug, screwing in a metal screw and pulling it out to get at it. THIS WILL VOID THE FACTORY WARRANTY ON THE CARB(if the dealer is a stickler when doing any warranty work)! I would replace it with a new plug for sake of maintaining the warranty. Get an inline filter to save yourself headaches from the carb clogging due to junk in the gas. I ALWAYS turn my fuel petcock off and run it out of gas (when I stop riding for more than a few hours) to help with keeping the carb clean.
2. The stock chain is "junky" but will last you at least 5,000mi if properly maintained. Mine has 6,500 with and appears to be 3/4 done. I recently ordered replacement chain/sprockets since the rear tire will be off anyway.
3. The clutch return spring on top of the engine case is probably installed wrong, look at it and the service manual to see if yours is like most others (installed wrong from the get-go) and put it in its proper place.
4. I can't preach this enough, the stock skidplate is total CRAPOLA. Even with minor offroading where you're crossing uneven ground or small obstacles, it WILL hit and it WILL bend. I don't do anything I'd consider remotely extreme with my TW and it has been mangled (only once) and it's enough to make me realize an engine is alot more expensive than a cheap but effective REAL skidplate.
5. Check to see if your "tool compartment" has to tools you were supposed to get with your new TW. Alot of new bikes did not get them from the dealer.

I wish you many years of bugs in your teeth with the TW!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jimied, I came to a clearance-priced new TW for much the same reasons about two years ago, and I've never looked back!

I was happy to spend a few extra C-notes for a brand new machine that I could ruin myself. :)

You're gonna love this bike.
I do much prefer to do the ruining myself as well.:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't know why anyone would recommend the expense/hassle of replacing a brand new chain. It'll do 5,000 miles.

By the time it's used up you'll know if you like stock gearing and if not you'll know what you want so you can replace chain then with a new/better sprocket.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Results will vary. Whats the ambient temp? Humid climate? What elevation? What type of fuel? Cam chain tight? Spark plug fresh? Valves adjusted?

I'm not a proponent of changing idle mixture right away when the bike is brand new. Ride it for a bit and see for yourself. Yes, they are usually too lean...but there are variables as described earlier.

To answer your question...
A richer mixture at idle, easier cold starts, an engine that runs slightly cooler, reduced fuel economy, less pop on decel.

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
I don't know why anyone would recommend the expense/hassle of replacing a brand new chain. It'll do 5,000 miles.

By the time it's used up you'll know if you like stock gearing and if not you'll know what you want so you can replace chain then with a new/better sprocket.
There is a very simple answer to this and it is why qwerty mentioned it. True, the stock chain could go for 5,000 miles but you will be adjusting it every time you turn around. As it stretches it will be wearing out your sprockets and will also require constant lubrication that flies all over everything.

A new O or X ring chain is lubricated from the inside and requires only a cleaning and light oil wipe down every so often to discourage rust. Spraying it with chain lube does nothing because it can't get past the O rings. The better chains are much stronger and less likely to stretch so your sprockets will last twice as long and you can spend your time cleaning and polishing your nice bike rather than adjusting the chain for every ride and wiping off the chain lube on your wheels, spokes and everywhere else.

This is great advice weather you agree or not!

GaryL

1 - 20 of 49 Posts