TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked this up over the weekend and I am pumped to put her to the test.

It is a 1995 BMW R1100GS with ALL the extras / farkles. Excellent maintenance records, rebuilt trans, and Wilber's suspension upgrade front and rear.

Smooth - amazing ride on and off road.

Anyone else here have an older GS?

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Very Nice bike, but I still love the old airheads...

·
Registered
200 Posts
You can contact a BMW dealer and ask them to run the vin# and they can tell you whatever has and has not been done by any BMW service anywhere on the bike. Sounds like the seller has things documented already though. If you plan on long multi state trips join the club because it has many great perks. BMWMOA

I have always had K bikes and have one now but have friends that ride the R bikes. I have a good friend that had that same year GS. He loved it and had great luck with it. Many miles. He sold it awhile ago. The GS's and old R bikes defined BMW. Some of the newer stuff is overly complex and expensive and not as bullet proof although still good stuff with some quirks and problems IMHO. BMW = Bring More Wallet or Break My Wallet. LOL! I would not hesitate owning an older GS. Good bullet proof bikes. I am actually thinking about selling my K1200S. That thing is an animal and scary really. I have entertained looking for a good older GS but they are usually not parted with or not for cheap anyway. Every great once in awhile a deal comes around but gets snatched up quickly.

This K bike will likely be the last K I'll own. My older K100 was awesome and just bullet proof and beyond highly dependable. This K bike now is good but has its quirks for sure. Still dependable but came with flaws from the factory. In fact I have a recall on it now that I need to run it into the dealer for free of charge but still a PITA. Another issue that BMW dropped the ball on. After I sell or trade it if I get another BMW bike it will definitely be a jug head R Bike. Many newer BMWs across the board have had a rash of issues. Something you don't expect for the premium the cost. Overall still great bikes all said and done. You picked a good one so enjoy it.

Learn how to or do the work yourself if you can. Although some dealers are pretty fair but as I said and the key word is some. The GS has a huge following and many aftermarket offerings etc; IIRC Rocky here has one or at least used to. I have seen others here that had them also but can't remember.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yep it is an OIL head. For a brief time in 1995 you could buy air or oilheads off the dealer floor.
I have had my 1992 R100GS since 1997. Great old bike but it still has a few issues.
I haven't done the circlip in the trans needed mod.
Paralever driveshafts on GS's are only good for 50,000 ish miles. I have 80,000 on my current one.
They eat rear tires like open tubes of pringles.
And I have the crappy french Valeo starter they used instead of the reliable Bosch unit. (Squeals like a stuck pig when starting cold.)

Those first model Oilhead engines actually have fewer parts than the older airheads. Taken care of and they will last several lifetimes.
Have fun

·
Registered
115 Posts
And I have the crappy french Valeo starter they used instead of the reliable Bosch unit. (Squeals like a stuck pig when starting cold.)
1911, nice bike that you can enjoy for years. Sponge my 2001 R1100RL also squealed. It's an issue of dry grease on the startershaft where drive gear slides via the bendix. I cleaned and regreased mine and it's good as new in 15 minutes and about a nickels worth of grease.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Very nice GS!

I have the idea in my head that it would be a lot of fun to pick up an older GS, keep it stripped down and light, slap some knobbies on it, and see just how well I can learn to handle it in the rough stuff. Maybe someday, when I have a little more storage space...

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks! Yes, all of the bugs have been worked out of it. I've heard a used GS with over 80k is more reliable than a brand new one :D

Here is another great used 1995 R1100GS in MN. I test drove this one too. It is as close to new as you can get for a 1995. ANAL service and repair records. It was hard to pass this one up:

1995 R1100GS BMW

·
Registered
200 Posts
You got a good deal and the other one is fairly priced also. Same bike around here fetches another grand at least. I have no idea why but they seem to be higher priced. I keep an eye on CL and cycle trader regularly.

Google BMW rose dulac dakar bike. BMW is supposed to possibly come out with a new retro GS bike like the ones in the 80's winning the Dakar numerous years. It is cool as hell. I like it anyway. Wonder what they'll cost and if they will actually follow thru?

Thanks for clarifying the air / oil head and the year. I just remembered 1995 was a last year or the change.

I live in an area on a KY Scenic Byway and riders come from everywhere to stop by the local town. Earlier this summer or late spring there was a GS rider from Michigan that had one with almost 300,000 on the ODO and he was off on another long ride. His bike had been ridden rough too and semi beat up to how most BMW riders keep their rides. It was still rolling along and he said he had just done typical fixes and maintenance since day one. He had replaced some parts and his shaft IIRC but for that many hard ass miles one can not complain at all. Hind sight is 20/20 and honestly I wish I would have just bought a GS instead of this K bike. Or even had my old K100 but it was totaled.

I bought it back from my insurance company knowing it was worth way more than the $500 by back. I sold it to Galen Perry who had Perry Beemer and he was a BMW salvage parts guy. When I bought that bike it didn't have the side case luggage with it and I bought them from him. He gott'em back too. Not sure if he is still around or in business but he was a good source and last I dealt with him was August 1999. IIRC he was located in IN or IL.

You will enjoy that bike but don't forget about the TW.... LOL!

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Congratulations! More pics!

I just picked this up over the weekend and I am pumped to put her to the test.

It is a 1995 BMW R1100GS with ALL the extras / farkles. Excellent maintenance records, rebuilt trans, and Wilber's suspension upgrade front and rear.

Smooth - amazing ride on and off road.

Anyone else here have an older GS?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hard to forget about the TW, but she hasn't moved since I got the BMW. These BMW engines are kinda loud arn't they? It makes the TW engine sound like a smooth operator!
Shouldn't be too loud, just sort of like a big air compressor. You should hear a certain amount of valve noise. This is still a pushrod and rocker head, hanging out the side so there is nothing to block that noise. BMW does like to quiet the exhaust as much as possible. With the cylinders firing at an even 360` it is a unique sound.
Skip to about 2:00 in this clip to here an unmuffled boxer.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Congrats on an excellant unit. One of the nice parts of BMW is that there is quite the bit of knowhow out there. And with being used, you'll be exempted
from some of the hassles of owning "new" technology. Buck up now though. the reality is that BMW does stand for "bring money with". The only thing cheap about
a BMW is the knucklehead attached to the handlebars. They are easy to work on but require special tools and know how. Worth every cent in many folks minds.
I suspect we'll be seeing lots of used GS's coming out in the next few as they get worn and rich folks want "the latest". The JVB DVD series is great for those.
Enjoy that thing. It will make you appreciate your TW even more when off road.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I couldn't take the engine noise anymore!

The RH side valve train is diesel loud when the engine is hot. Quiet as a mouse when engine cold. I replaced the RH cam tensioner, set valves lash, and set rocker shafts tight - valve noise did not go away with hot engine.

The tap is very loud and could be heard at all RPMs through the helmet. The LH side is quite all the time.

So, I did a little googling and found lots of info on engine noises and eliminated them. The internets also says that on these engines the pushrod ends come loose when the engine gets hot.

I took the pushrods out and I could easily rotate one of the push rod ends. I bet it gets loose when the engine warms up.

Parts on order. Hope this fixes the noise.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Alright, engine noises GONE!

I replaced the RH side push rods and set the valves and rocker shafts good and tight = noises gone. One of my push rod ball ends was loose, more than likely the cause of the engine noise.

Such a good feeling to have a nice, "quiet" oilhead.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
k tmp_12097-20160514_1533431053336725.jpg Did some trading for a '07 F650GS Dakar earlier this year. After rebuilding the susension the thing rides like a dream.
If it just had a 6th gear it would be perfect, but I can live with it. Top shelf scoot overall and like the big dirty bike it
was made to be when off road. Will be keeping this one a while.

...and a updated pic for good measure. Finally got the Nelson-Riggs on

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts