TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got it yesterday.

Seat Concepts said they wouldn't be making a high version for the TW200. I came across Fisher Upholstery who will customize your existing seat.
I sketched out what I wanted and sent them my seat. Took about 3 weeks...good thing I have 2 TW's!
Here it is on the bike:

I have not ridden it yet...its crappy out today here on New England's south coast. I am not sure how I like it. Real nice job...probably too good for me. It strikes me as kind of weird looking how it extends higher than the Cyclerack. My measurements...so that's my doing. The foam is firmer than what I had, so that is different and is contributing to its height. Feels good sitting on the bike in the garage...the test is going to be riding it. I wanted to duplicate what I had on my bike below, just better. It has turned out about an inch taller, so maybe 3" higher than stock?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Its pigskin with carbon fiber sides. I went all out. They will re-use your existing seat cover, but mine had blue trim. I'm turning into some kind of style-obsessed metrosexual and want an all black bike this time. So I paid for the custom cover, too.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Is this the guy in Eagle/Boise Idaho?
Yes. Seems like I buy a lot of stuff from Idaho. Takes FOREVER to get here. Do you guys have roads there, or do you have to pack the goods out on mules?:)

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
Yes. Seems like I buy a lot of stuff from Idaho. Takes FOREVER to get here. Do you guys have roads there, or do you have to pack the goods out on mules?:)
Admiral packs most of the stuff out of Idaho, both by TW and Mule. ;)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Admiral packs most of the stuff out of Idaho, both by TW and Mule. ;)
Ha,ha. That's what I figured. I get stuff from California by UPS ground in 5 days. Takes a full 7 days from Idaho.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
I think he only does deliveries for Idaho a couple times a week, rest of the time, he's out riding!

Short work week. Lucky guy.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi Rhodetrip;

I saw your post regarding the seat you had built. After thinking about it, I went out to Fisher Upholstery and spoke with Dave Fisher about his custom seat building.

Fisher Seats - Custom Aftermarket Motorcycle Seat Modification $249.99

The problem I had was that on the longer rides I ran out of ass before I wanted to be done. Dave explained that most bikes are set up with a narrow seat because a lot of riders do most of their riding on the pegs. I, on the other hand, tend to ride seated and only ride on the pegs thru technical areas or at hi speed over rough terrain. Dave showed me, on his bike, how the wider seat under a seated rider gave more support to the boney part of my butt. He than explained how I should measure my seating position on my bike before I brought my seat in. He actual has a form that he would like us to file out with our own ergonomic information.

As usual, I had to mull this information over and look at Rhodetrip's seat photos a number of time before I decided to take my seat out to
the Upholstery shop. Dave called yesterday afternoon and said my seat was done. I went out and got it. Put it on this morning and did the sit on it test. I am excited for the fog to lift today as I am going for a test ride.

Further evaluations coming after a test ride later today.

47 days or less until the Moose Hound and I head South to Moab.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Hi Rhodetrip;

I saw your post regarding the seat you had built. After thinking about it, I went out to Fisher Upholstery and spoke with Dave Fisher about his custom seat building.

Fisher Seats - Custom Aftermarket Motorcycle Seat Modification $249.99

The problem I had was that on the longer rides I ran out of ass before I wanted to be done. Dave explained that most bikes are set up with a narrow seat because a lot of riders do most of their riding on the pegs. I, on the other hand, tend to ride seated and only ride on the pegs thru technical areas or at hi speed over rough terrain. Dave showed me, on his bike, how the wider seat under a seated rider gave more support to the boney part of my butt. He than explained how I should measure my seating position on my bike before I brought my seat in. He actual has a form that he would like us to file out with our own ergonomic information.

As usual, I had to mull this information over and look at Rhodetrip's seat photos a number of time before I decided to take my seat out to
the Upholstery shop. Dave called yesterday afternoon and said my seat was done. I went out and got it. Put it on this morning and did the sit on it test. I am excited for the fog to lift today as I am going for a test ride.

Further evaluations coming after a test ride later today.

47 days or less until the Moose Hound and I head South to Moab.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise
I'm gonna have to stop by next week to look at your seat. I added a pad, similar to your black one prior to the new seat. I did it not so much for butt comfort, but so I could sit taller in the saddle when I needed to lift my legs to avoid hitting rocks and such. I suppose they can custom the seat for this desire as well.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi Ron and Admiral.
As you may know, I just did a 2,000 mile ride. That seat is GREAT! my ass did not bother me once on the whole trip. It used to get quite sore after a couple of hours. I normally ride standing up whenever I'm on a loose surface or anything rough to compensate for the TW suspension and because that's the technique I am used to. But I also end up doing a lot of paved riding too and that would be what gave me a pain in the butt.
When I first got this seat it was quite a bit different than the Coleman pad with 2 inches of foam under it that I had. But my only real complaint was when sitting on the bike with a foot down, ie:stopped, the edge of the seat would cut into my thigh. And now that I am used to it, that doesn't bother me at all...Otherwise you can definitely feel the better support from the wider seat and it is thinner and more comfortable when I stand on the pegs.
I tried JB882's Seat Concepts seat when we rode together in the Fall, and that was very good too. But I am 6'1" and wanted a higher seat, so I am glad I got this one. If I didn't need the extra height I would go with Seat Concepts and save some money. But you are getting a custom seat from Fisher Upholstery so it is well worth the money. I did like the gripper cover on JB882's seat too, whereas Fisher does not recommend that and I just have the pigskin with carbon fiber sides...its a little more slippery but again, now I have gotten used to it and I like it as is (supposed to stay cleaner, too).
My only complaint with Fisher is it takes a little while with the shipping both ways. You've reminded me I need to call them because they've had my other seat for a while. If you go there, tell them to get cracking on Rhodetrip's seat!!!

Update: just talked to them. They did my seat at the same time as Ron's...so its on the way!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just went out on a short ride down the canal bank to try my new rebuilt seat. It was still a little fresh out but the seat was everything Rhodetrip said it was. It was about like sitting in my leather lazy boy recliner but a little firmer. I know this was not a true test but it sure felt good. we are supposed to get some near 50 degree weather next week so I may go down to Wee's Bar and give it more of a work out. I need to get these winter legs back in riding condition.

Again, 47 days or less until the Moose Hound and I head South to Moab.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

·
Registered
86 Posts
Do those of you with the taller, Fisher seat have any photos of yourselves on the bike? I'm curious how much it changes the riding position.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I ordered some stuff from Happy Trails in Idaho almost a month ago. I think it's like Dairy Queen, they don't start making it until you order it.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Do those of you with the taller, Fisher seat have any photos of yourselves on the bike? I'm curious how much it changes the riding position.
I sat on Ron's Fisher seat the other day. I was very impressed. Now, I'm sure this wouldn't be for everyone, but what I liked about it was it did raise the body position up. This would be ideal for me as I find lifting my legs/feet to avoid a rock on the trail is getting difficult with the stock seat. Raised up it would be a little easier. Also Ron had his built up in the front and with this I wouldn't slide forward into my seats "valley" keeping me farther back in the seat. I have better leverage and control sitting back a bit. It is a custom seat, so one would have to explain their own wants and needs to make sure the seat is for you.

I'm sure Ron will be able for a full butt report after the Moab get together!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Fisher seat pics ?

How about a picture of your widened Fisher seats, gents! I am seriously considering this modification since my old ass got real sore riding my new stocker. I have a custom seat on my Beemer and its some of the best money spent on that bike. The Fisher seats look like they can add some width but I'm wondering if there are limits to width expansion. I think that is one of the things that makes for a more comfortable seat. Anyway, would love to see some photos of those Fishers. TIA. :D

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
How about a picture of your widened Fisher seats, gents! I am seriously considering this modification since my old ass got real sore riding my new stocker. I have a custom seat on my Beemer and its some of the best money spent on that bike. The Fisher seats look like they can add some width but I'm wondering if there are limits to width expansion. I think that is one of the things that makes for a more comfortable seat. Anyway, would love to see some photos of those Fishers. TIA. :D
go to page one of this thread......

·
Registered
79 Posts
id like to put the Clarke xt350 tank on my bike but I also want a better seat and figure I should just do both at the same time. Has anyone had seat concepts redo a seat that has been modified to fit the 350 tank? What's the best way to go about getting a comfortable seat that fits the larger tank?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts