TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proud to announce that I got my first TW last Friday 6-21-13! 2003 with ~1500 miles. Got the plate and ORV sticker this Monday. Rode it to work this morning with no rack so put laptop and full "spill proof" coffee cup in a back pack and away I went!

IMG_20130622_155211.JPG IMG_20130622_155250.JPG

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
sweet. you're in for a treat

·
Registered
315 Posts
very nice I have/had the same year! really love the 03's color scheme :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Awesome! just a heads up for your computers safety, its best to fully shut down your computer before you ride, this will lock the head of your hard drive, if you just put it to sleep or just shut the screen it will still allow the head to move and this will damage your disk. trust me its worth the extra second of shut down and start up.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all! It is actually my 2nd bike. Other bike is a 2012 Royal Enfield Classic Dessert Storm. I used a TW200 at my motorcycle safety class last year and knew then I had to own one some day :)

I ordered a bunch of goodies last Sunday and the first 3 showed up on my doorstep last night.
1) larger foot pegs
2) handle bar risers (in anticipation of the new tank that is on it's way)
3) CycleRack!

I'm hoping tonight brings even more goodies!!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
should be alittle something from me there soon. PICTURES, MAN, PICTURES! Tim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tim you are cracking me up! You seem more interested in pictures than you do payment :D

Side racks are good! got them last night... I'm realizing I should have asked if you had the ability to make one more thing... I'm struggling to make my own. If I'd just go out and get the right tools maybe...

Basically an L shaped metal shelf... short part of L would extend out 3.5 inches horizontal at the bottom of your side racks... long part would go vertical up to just about the top of the side rack. Bolts would go through it to your side racks. So basically a capital L. A fancy version would have an inward "curl" over your rack top bar for extra stability. I found a pair of IKEA laptop bags that have one of those slots for slipping over a suitcase handle and thought I'd mount them to your side racks.

Today so far battery tender cable and grunge brush... less fun... might be more coming later today... I hope...

It has been pouring down rain yesterday and today... tomorrow I'll roll her out in the sunshine and take some pics...

·
Registered
503 Posts
draw or mock it up out of cardboard and take some pictures. PM or e-mail it to me and we'll get it handled. I love the custom stuff! I was thinking .080" aluminum. TIM

·
Registered
503 Posts
oh yeah, pay me

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Crude Drawing.jpg

:D drawn and mocked up a dozen... not sure about any of them...
This is the crude drawing of what I was thinking... basically an "n" at the top and bottom to hook over your bars... a shelf extending out 4 inches past the outside of your bottom bar and then a "cross bar" connecting the n's. The cross bar wouldn't really be on such a steep slant like I drew it... just a really poor drawing. Right side is of picture is looking straight at the "cross bar" it needs a cut out so that the middle section can accept the bag just like it would slip over a luggage handle and basically rest on the shelf.

Now that you all have seen my amazing drawing and design talent... I'll offer my services to the highest bidder :D

·
Registered
503 Posts
Ok first off, i do hope your not employed with NASA. How bout this? A single piece of .080" aluminum that goes over the top crossbar as you have drawn. Once it gets to bottom bar, it continues past the bottom bar about a 1/4", then 90degees outward 4" paralell to the ground to make the shelf. Then i can put slots in the 'plate' where it meets the top amd bottom bars to allow for some velcro staps to keep it all secure? Single piece of metal. Lightwieght. No welding just bends. Only thing not in your diagram that i need to know is, how far from 'shelf' to top of 'tab' that the pocket of the bag will fit over? Also how wide a slot to create the tab? TIM

·
Registered
503 Posts
Oh, and wheres the pictures? And does tab need to go all the way to the shelf? If i stop short of th bend it will have far better strength. TIM

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What you are describing sounds perfect... I bent one up like that in cardboard and I started to bend one in steel but it was too thick for the tools I have on hand... oh and the cardboard one was too week to hold the bag :) A single sheet of bent aluminum would be good and great for weight savings.

Tab shouldn't have to go all the way down to the shelf... on level ground the pocket starts at 2.5" and goes all the way up to 9.75" inches. So the closer to 9.75" the better as it will give a larger holding surface for the pocket. The width of the pocket is 10.5" but the tab doesn't need to be that wide, 10" would be the best fit, but I understand that the width of the aluminum you are using will dictate the final tab size. I trust that you will have a better idea on size vs. strength as you proceed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Learned some important lessons on her maiden back country voyage today...
1) if speedo is in KM then trip meter is in KM as well... DUH
- makes estimating next fuel stop more accurate
- avoids surprise need to switch to reserve early
2) know your way to the trail site without GPS
- again helps to know you can make it on reserve, to next station to save 20 cents a gallon
- running your phone GPS off the battery tender kills batteries
3) test harbor freight solar charger before first trip
- perhaps that is what killed battery
4) buy a kick starter NOW!!!
- even light bikes are heavy when pushed Uphill... 3 times in the middle of nowhere
5) when planning to roll starting a bike... know how first
- letting clutch out while rolling down large hill (see #4) doesn't help if you are in neutral
- letting clutch out in 1st gear doesn't help much either
- letting clutch out in 2nd gear works great!
6) oh yeah... lastly... stall on the tops of hills... not at the bottom (again see #4)!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts