TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...picking this bike up tomorrow. It's a 2008 with 4400 miles and sparkling clean. Appears it's never been off road!

Any way I have a couple questions:

Do these bikes usually take several minutes to warm up? I assume this one does because it hasn't been ridden much in a while. Was thinking a couple tanks of gas and Seafoam would be a good start.

Also, The high beam indicator on the instrument panel doesn't light up. The light itself does but not the one on the panel. Any quick fix for that?

Other than that the bike is spotless...getting it for $2000..

I appreciate all responses.....thanks

tw200.jpg

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Very nice! ...and a great deal.

If me, unless I knew it was fresh, I'd drain out any old gas and put that in my truck, get new fresh gas and add a half a can of Seafoam.

I'd also put in an inline fuel filter. These are available at rockymountainavtmc.com or procycle.us, or your local mower repair shop maybe.

They do usually take a bit to warm up because they are tuned super lean from the factory to satisfy EPA and boost and boast MPG. You can read up on jetting after you've grinned from ear to ear riding her for awhile.

Finally, the high beam indicator bulb is probably out. Do a search for this or pilot box for changing these to LEDs. I'm on my phone now, or I'd give you better links.

Welcome!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice! ...and a great deal.

If me, unless I knew it was fresh, I'd drain out any old gas and put that in my truck, get new fresh gas and add a half a can of Seafoam.

I'd also put in an inline fuel filter. These are available at rockymountainavtmc.com or procycle.us, or your local mower repair shop maybe.

They do usually take a bit to warm up because they are tuned super lean from the factory to satisfy EPA and boost and boast MPG. You can read up on jetting after you've grinned from ear to ear riding her for awhile.

Finally, the high beam indicator bulb is probably out. Do a search for this or pilot box for changing these to LEDs. I'm on my phone now, or I'd give you better links.

Welcome!
Thanks Larry

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had to replace the neutral light indicator and the high beam indicator bulb before and found it to be quite simple. Just remove the speedometer and replace the bulbs from the bottom.

·
Registered
69 Posts
These bikes are usually set lean from the factory. Locate the fuel/air screw under the carb. There may be a plug in place if the previous owner never fiddled with it. Turn in the screw until it seats lightly then turn out 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 turns. You'll need a short flathead; I use an attachment from a drillbit set with an added dab of paint to keep track of rotations. This will enrich the mixture, lower gas mileage, shorten warm-up time, and give a bit of general pep. Clean gas and Seafoam is an excellent idea in the meantime.
The indicator is likely a burned out bulb. If the PO ran his high-beam as a running light then that bulb got a lot more use than the others. Replace the dead one or all or them while you're there.

Hope this helps a bit...

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've found most people like to extend oil/oil filter changes. I'd go over fasteners and change the oil and filter also air filter. It's not high mileage but it only takes a quart or so, so it's not to costly to do and then you know it's good.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Install an O-ring chain on it now and you will save money in the future. . My sprockets were damaged at around 5500 miles from the stock chain.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Congrats on getting your new TW ..... you have come to the right place for help; forum members here have a passion for helping others with their TW's.

Remember, as you continue to mod it out, we like pictures..... we can read but we still like pictures of your mods as well as your adventures. :D

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I've found most people like to extend oil/oil filter changes. I'd go over fasteners and change the oil and filter also air filter. ...
No need to buy new oil filters, the OEM filter is designed to be cleaned almost indefinitely. If it isn't an OEM, change it back to one, and be damn sure it has four holes! Air filters can be cleaned and re-oiled until the foam wears out. I'm still on my original oil and air filter at 15,000 miles. :p I usually change oil twice a year or 2,000 miles, whichever is first.

·
Registered
545 Posts
And remember, Unless it got new tires, The original front with 4400 miles will be very noisy and you will most likely notice that the lugs front to back are different heights and no where new in depth,
I tossed the Shinko 241 on my tw and its nice,
You welcome to stop down and take mine for a spin,
Looks clean and very complete!
Be careful and enjoy the ride !

·
Registered
286 Posts
No need to buy new oil filters, the OEM filter is designed to be cleaned almost indefinitely. If it isn't an OEM, change it back to one, and be damn sure it has four holes! Air filters can be cleaned and re-oiled until the foam wears out. I'm still on my original oil and air filter at 15,000 miles. :p I usually change oil twice a year or 2,000 miles, whichever is first.
When I went to my Yamaha dealer and asked for a tw200 oil filter they gave me a paper or similar element. It came in a Yamaha box and I figured it was oem. Then when I changed the oil I was surprised to see a mesh filter. I took and cleaned it and put in my part cabinet. I figured it was a filter maybe intended for break-in. So you think it's actually better than the Yamaha paper filters? I can easily throw it back in next oil change.

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
Welcome!! :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe a dumb question but should I match the tread on the front and back tires on the bike or can they be different style/brand? Bear with me, I'm new to the trail bike scene, have only ridden street bikes. I plan on riding about 60/40 street to trail.

And, thanks to you all for chiming in, I appreciate all the comments.

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
Maybe a dumb question but should I match the tread on the front and back tires on the bike or can they be different style/brand? Bear with me, I'm new to the trail bike scene, have only ridden street bikes. I plan on riding about 60/40 street to trail.

And, thanks to you all for chiming in, I appreciate all the comments.
For a 60:40 ratio of riding you could use either off-road tires or street tires just don't mix them.

Reactions: Dryden-Tdub

·
Registered
587 Posts
Mixing brands or tire tread difference for offroad wont make much difference imo. I use the Shinko 244 front tire, cheap and works well. Good deal on bike :D

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
.... I figured it was a filter maybe intended for break-in. So you think it's actually better than the Yamaha paper filters? .....
It isn't that it is better or worse, it is that there is no need to spend money on new filters if you don't mind the few minutes it takes to clean the brash mesh with a toothbrush and some kerosene or gas. Also, if you keep the original filter there is ZERO chance that someday you will fall victim to the notorious wrong filter in right box syndrome and need a top end overhaul! :eek:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well I actually got the bike today and loving it big time. Drove up and down the street with that stupid grin I get.

Thanks again to all for suggestions and help.

I fixed the instrument indicator light and she shines pretty now.

I put a new spark plug in, the old one was pretty nasty with rust etc, I'm guessing it may have been the original (Denso).

I drained the little bit of old gas out and put some fresh in along with a couple ounces Sea Foam.

The battery tender lead had blown a fuse so I replaced it.

This is fun playing around with this machine, I'm already hooked.

Unfortunately I'm going out of town for work tomorrow and won't be able to play around with the bike for several days...bummer.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Welcome! I've got a '14 and my high beam indicator light is out too. I know it's not hard to replace but it doesnt' bother me much so I figured I'd wait for one more to go bad and then replace all with LED. I ride mostly street but do some off road as well. I run a TW203 front which is smooth riding and still decent for mild off roading but looking to go back to an off road front tire so I don't get in trouble. When my stock chain wore out I replaced it with an X-ring chain and new sprockets. I kept the 14T front but dropped from 50 to 47T rear which gives the bike better road manners and lower RPMs at higher speeds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts