TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is my Birthday. Last night, my husband and I arrived home at 11pm with my "new" TW200. It's a 1987 Trailway. It's in very nice condition. The only things "wrong" with it are the neutral light doesn't illuminate, and the left foot peg is slightly bent. Otherwise, she's quite original. I grew up racing motocross every weekend with my family. I had a Yamaha 80. When I was 11, I got a brand new Yamaha MX125 in 1974. That was the last year before the YZ arrived. I was a tall, skinny kid, but I couldn't reach both feet flat on the ground, so had to teeter totter until I got going. Hand on helmet starts were a trick with that bike. It was the old school 60th anniversary colors. So today, a lot of years later, I have another Yamaha. She isn't brandy new like the one my husband Cattech has, she's more vintage, classic, old school like me. I got a good deal, she's paid for, and I'm pretty happy. I look forward to trail riding with my husband, and getting some accessories for the bike. It came factory with the kick start, but the first thing I notice, no rubber on the lever. That's going to be handy in the mud. Thanks for letting me join the TW Forum. Does anyone know where the trails are in the Binghamton/Norwich/Harpursville area?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Today is my Birthday. Last night, my husband and I arrived home at 11pm with my "new" TW200. It's a 1987 Trailway. It's in very nice condition. The only things "wrong" with it are the neutral light doesn't illuminate, and the left foot peg is slightly bent. Otherwise, she's quite original. I grew up racing motocross every weekend with my family. I had a Yamaha 80. When I was 11, I got a brand new Yamaha MX125 in 1974. That was the last year before the YZ arrived. I was a tall, skinny kid, but I couldn't reach both feet flat on the ground, so had to teeter totter until I got going. Hand on helmet starts were a trick with that bike. It was the old school 60th anniversary colors. So today, a lot of years later, I have another Yamaha. She isn't brandy new like the one my husband Cattech has, she's more vintage, classic, old school like me. I got a good deal, she's paid for, and I'm pretty happy. I look forward to trail riding with my husband, and getting some accessories for the bike. It came factory with the kick start, but the first thing I notice, no rubber on the lever. That's going to be handy in the mud. Thanks for letting me join the TW Forum. Does anyone know where the trails are in the Binghamton/Norwich/Harpursville area?

You our being an old dirt racer have my sincere respect. I'm a street guy, but love dual sort bikes.

Happy Birthday and congrats.

reply with a photo of your new scoot please.

·
Super Moderator
18,061 Posts
Well...Happy Birthday!! And Welcome to the forum!!

:eek:ccasion18: :eek:ccasion16: :eek:ccasion13: :applouse:

Reactions: TWilight

·
Super Moderator
5,259 Posts
The TW doesn’t come with a rubber on the kick-start — although you could probably find one or two that would fit.

Doesn’t come with rubber on the foot pegs either — unlike its little cousin, the TW125.

In fact — the TW200 doesn’t come with anything it doesn’t need — and a few things you’d miss if they weren’t there - (you’ll find them as you go along).

But the TW200 does come with a big heart — and you’ll find that too ……

Meanwhile — try not to show your husbands bike up by doing things on yours that he can’t match on his — you know what male egos are like ……..

Welcome to the cruise (and happy birthday) ……

·
Registered
638 Posts
Welcome and congrats, I'm beginning to think all old TW's have some sort of migratory instinct toward NY.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Welcome to our second most fun past time bested only by riding our TWs. YEAH! Another woman on the forum and there is something very sexy about a woman on a TW as long as she is not using you for traction as she blows your doors off on a narly trail. So, at age 11 you got a new 1974 and I am not a math wizard but that makes you born in 1962 or 3 and you also get the honor of being in the over the hill gang here! If I am not mistaking we old farts make up the majority here!

Now, get your purse out or better yet get into cattech's wallet and the real fun begins. The left foot peg should be easy to bend back to the right position. Neutral is likely just a bulb. We now need a nice Cycle rack, bark busters and some nice girly grips. Depending on your bottom end a nice Seat Concept cushioned seat might soften the plank seat these bikes come with. Member PlacerLode can help you on that. If it still has the original tires then new ones are in order as the old are hard and dangerous. You would probably love the Shinko Golden Boy in 5.10 size up front to replace the stock Trail Wing we call a Death Wing. Many of us love the Pro Taper ATV High handle bars and they make it more comfy to stand on the pegs when adjusted right. Shin guards or good riding boots are also a good idea because sticks and stones do like to jump up and smack us all the time. Fun is the object and not getting hurt is the ultimate goal.

Welcome to the forum and we do have quite a few ladies among us on TWs.

GaryL

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
20,387 Posts
I can only repeat the kind words offered above: "Welcome and Happy Birthday". Since you are a tall drink of water either the ProTaper ATV High bars, or some form of bar risers might really benefit you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My New Birthday TW Pics

IMG_1033.JPG IMG_1032.JPG
We went riding today for three hours. What a great time. I l-o-v-e this bike! I had so much fun. Found a few more minor issues, but nothing to cry about. Thank you for all the advise. I will look up those upgrades. To set the record straight, I am tall, but no longer the drink of water....I gained a few pounds. :rolleyes: Yes, 1962, I turned 12 later at the end of that summer. The dirt bike racing isn't exactly in an oval though, it's up and down hills, through mud, over whoops, jumps, banked turns, lots of stuff that pounds your body. I doubt I would survive that today. The last pair of motorcycle boots I had were FULL BORE. They were all leather, black with red/white/blue pinstripe, and had a million buckles it seemed. I'll get a new pair, and a better pair of gloves than my mechanics gloves. When we stopped, and I was looking the bike over, I remembered things like my Dad making me a number plate out of a paper plate, and duct taping it on the bike front and sides. When you raced outside your district, you sometimes had to get a new number. I thought about how we spent time as a family doing bike stuff, and all the memories I have are good ones, including today. I remember spending weekends at Unadilla Valley Sports Center (met Hurricane Bob Hannah walking the track one year), Enfield Dirt Diggers, Morley's Motocross Park in Otego, NY, Mexico NY, Springville PA at the Non-AMA sanctioned track, all over the place every weekend. I am so glad my husband wanted a TW. I can't say one bad thing about this bike. I have never had a 4 stroke, or an enduro. I'm hooked. I can't wait to go again! Thanks for all the nice words.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Wow! Looks like you found a real well preserved 1987 there and it sure is pretty. Already has nice bark busters and maybe even different bars.

Good luck with it and hope the bikes bring you and hubby together a lot when the weather is right for riding here in NY. We have another good month or so and this is one of our nicest times of the year.

There is a true testament! 26 years of the same model bike and many of the parts off the 1987 still fit the 2013.

GaryL

·
Registered
667 Posts
Welcome, fellow New Yorker! Happy birthday! And nice bike!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts