TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was in the Tillamook Forest (Oregon) in a light rain with the TW on my second off-road outing. I knew at some point I’d crash (a.k.a. fall) but didn’t expect it so slow and so soon.

Well, I was trying to ride the shallow gully next to the trail to let a logging truck pass when the abscess significantly dropped off quickly. I tried to over-correct and get back on the trail, but the little guy went down at around 10 - 12 mph.

Bike is fine save for a few scratches. I’m fine except for a slightly bruised knee and road rash on my palm. My Pop’s Rolex (family heirloom) was torn off my wrist and I almost left in the mud puddle. Lost my glasses.
So what did I learn:
After a fall look around for anything that may have been dislodged, no matter how slow you were going.
Contact points on the TW in a low speed crash or fall are the turn signal (scratched but working fine) and hand guard (scratched but still firmly in place—it did its job well).
Contact points on ME in a slow crash are the knee and palm. I will now start wearing gloves! Any recommendations?

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Recomendations? Watch out for the watch next time:cool:...and wear gloves, anything from leather work gloves to appropriate off-road motorcycle gloves.
I've been suckered into almost identical ditch diving shunts chasing an ever narrowing line so no worries, you're in good company here.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Deep gravel and sand can make handling very unpredictable, and steering ineffective. When I get in to situations like that, I slow down and put a foot (or both) out. Though some crashes just can't be prevented, a lot of them can by supporting the bike and yourself with a foot plant.

I've ridden in the Tillamook forest a long time ago. I drive through there all the time on the pavement - probably should get offroad again one of these days.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
no worries... there are those that have fallen, and those that will fall again...

my stepdad lived in wheeler for years, i wandered the hills around there, not too far north of you. beautiful area.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Recomendations? Watch out for the watch next time:cool:...and wear gloves, anything from leather work gloves to appropriate off-road motorcycle gloves.
I've been suckered into almost identical ditch diving shunts chasing an ever narrowing line so no worries, you're in good company here.
Thanks Fred! The rear wheel just kicked itself out from under me. It happened so fast. Can’t blame the “death wing” as it was the rear. Maybe wrong gear? Maybe bc it has the same air and tire pressure from new last month and 400 miles ago? Maybe going too fast? Definitely need to wear gloves. Bare skin is no match for gravel unless you’re an Armadillo!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
.... not always

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Seeing the hands of the watch reminded me of one of those forensic TV shows: "From the wreckage we can tell that the aircraft deviated from controlled flight at approximately 2:55 before impacting into terrain at a shallow angle. Pilot did not declare an in flight emergency. FAA suspects marginal weather was a contributing factor. Fortunately all souls on board survived."

·
Super Moderator
14,343 Posts
It's kind of scary going through what you've gone through. Not a horrible ending but getting to the ending was a major pucker moment for sure. Since you are ok I do find some of the comments by others here kind of funny. Anyway, I'm happy the TW and you are ok.

Reactions: Westieterrier

·
Registered
765 Posts
Falling is a learned skill. When you know you can't save it, step off, let go, or hang on to something.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i had the exact thing happen a few nights ago on grass. hit a rut where someone spun a car tire .the rear came out from under me before i could think oh s..t. my crashing instincts came back to me . i have not fell on a bike in 30 years. i went back last night to see what happened i felt better when i saw what caused it or i probably wouldnt ride it anymore im 59 .

·
Registered
135 Posts
I always wear gloves, both when I pedal or motor.
They do not have to be fancy motorcycle/cycle gloves.
A $10 pair of material handling gloves from the hardware store work fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yesterday I was in the Tillamook Forest (Oregon) in a light rain with the TW on my second off-road outing. I knew at some point I’d crash (a.k.a. fall) but didn’t expect it so slow and so soon.

Well, I was trying to ride the shallow gully next to the trail to let a logging truck pass when the abscess significantly dropped off quickly. I tried to over-correct and get back on the trail, but the little guy went down at around 10 - 12 mph.

Bike is fine save for a few scratches. I’m fine except for a slightly bruised knee and road rash on my palm. My Pop’s Rolex (family heirloom) was torn off my wrist and I almost left in the mud puddle. Lost my glasses.
So what did I learn:
After a fall look around for anything that may have been dislodged, no matter how slow you were going.
Contact points on the TW in a low speed crash or fall are the turn signal (scratched but working fine) and hand guard (scratched but still firmly in place—it did its job well).
Contact points on ME in a slow crash are the knee and palm. I will now start wearing gloves! Any recommendations? View attachment 208888 View attachment 208889 View attachment 208890 View attachment 208891 View attachment 208892
NO NO NO !!!! You're riding a sorta dirt bike ! T I M E X N O T R O L E X !

·
Registered
5 Posts
i had the exact thing happen a few nights ago on grass. hit a rut where someone spun a car tire .the rear came out from under me before i could think oh s..t. my crashing instincts came back to me . i have not fell on a bike in 30 years. i went back last night to see what happened i felt better when i saw what caused it or i probably wouldnt ride it anymore im 59 .
I'm 86 and ride every day in the Dallas TX area 2008 TW200 and 06 KLR 650.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Deep gravel and sand can make handling very unpredictable, and steering ineffective. When I get in to situations like that, I slow down and put a foot (or both) out. Though some crashes just can't be prevented, a lot of them can by supporting the bike and yourself with a foot plant.

I've ridden in the Tillamook forest a long time ago. I drive through there all the time on the pavement - probably should get offroad again one of these days.
Thank Imlost. I'm in Portland, so hit me up if you wanna ride.
Glad your safe.
Thanks Mike!
Thanks for the tip
Great story Nitro. I guess some crashes are inevitable, which is why I'm riding slow!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts