TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, So, this morning I was going over it and prepping for a ride with member Prime in the Pine Barrens tomorrow. Hosed off bike yesterday, and was lubing my chain, and noticed that the lower shock mount hole on the swingarm where the pin is, is wearing out. That explains the clunking noise when going through long Whoop sections. Now what? WTF? So maybe this bike isn't holding up to my riding? Shit, hardly any miles on this freakin thing. Yeah, I'm a little pissed off. I have yet to really ride the way I do yet, and already seeing signs of stress. Maybe I really should be on a WR, or DRZ the way I ride. I didn't take it apart yet, because I'm riding tomorrow. So, looks like Friday, I have some wrenchin to do. It is clearly the hole worn in the swingarm, not the pin. You can see this in the video.

·
Super Moderator
5,139 Posts
I was ticked off to discover my steering head bearing were suffering from “severely reduced flight potential” after just 5k – guess thats the price we pay for a bike with such limited travel on the suspension

I know you know how to fix it – maybe time to work an “improvement” in there …………

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YeaH, I'm already thinking of how I can get bearings mounted in there, and a totally sealed system. Guess I'm not sleeping the next few nights. But, I'm also thinking about a WR250 already.....;)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Both my TWs have slop there. First noticed it on the 06. Checked the 09 and its the same
Figured it was typical jap bike fit and finish :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This had no slop in it. I had the shock out, and wanted to replace the pin with a hardend bolt, but couldn't find one with the right length coller. Plus, I lift the back up to shift it around in the shed, never had slop until after my last ride.

BTW, lost 56lbs and down 4 pant sizes since I bought the bike last Aug. Really could do without the fat jokes when I'm already pissed off.

·
Super Moderator
17,953 Posts
Congrats on the weight loss Bob, wish I could get with the program...did you quit smoking too?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I guess you can forget the hardened bolt for now, would only make matters worse. I would weld up some washers or plates to the outsides, then install a grade 8.8 (sae grade 5 or so) metric with a long shoulder. Let the the bolt wear out, not your repair. You would end up with more bearing surface than stock, should be a permanent repair.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, the best way would be to weld like a few said. Great, now I gotta remove swingarm, find someone, and pay them to weld it. Now, what about resale value? I know I'd stay away from a bike that had welded anything on the swingarm. Lovely.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Yeah, the best way would be to weld like a few said. Great, now I gotta remove swingarm, find someone, and pay them to weld it. Now, what about resale value? I know I'd stay away from a bike that had welded anything on the swingarm. Lovely.
It's a digital world. Just take a few before and after pictures and save them with that video. New owner should take solace in knowing that you were aware and conscientious enough to take precautions, PRIOR to a component failure. Just my thoughts at least.

Tom

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
You got the bike from GaryL he should do the honorable thing and trade it out with that low mile TW he has for sale and give you $500. off on the XT225.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Z, na, no way is this Gary's fault... I know your just bustin. Yeah, the more I think about it, this is most likely normal for the way it's built. But being the way I am, it just doesn't sit right with me. I'll keep a good eye on it, start looking for someone to weld this for me, then get it done then. I'll just ride mellow until then. I'll be damned if I have any down time due to this. Yeah, great idea on the pics. I wouldn't have thought about it. That would work. Thanks Tom...:)

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Z, na, no way is this Gary's fault... I know your just bustin. Yeah, the more I think about it, this is most likely normal for the way it's built. But being the way I am, it just doesn't sit right with me. I'll keep a good eye on it, start looking for someone to weld this for me, then get it done then. I'll just ride mellow until then. I'll be damned if I have any down time due to this. Yeah, great idea on the pics. I wouldn't have thought about it. That would work. Thanks....:)
No problem. I purchased a used Polaris 4 wheeler a few years back that kept breaking the frame at the top motor mount. Guy took before and after pictures that had the date and time stamp on them. I did a little research and found this was a common problem and his excellent repair job had been trouble free for 6 years. Bought it the very next morning. No regrets.

Tom

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
You don't think your shock spacer might of caused this?

·
Registered
79 Posts
It wouldn't take much weld to tighten that hole up, done right most ppl wouldn't be able to tell it had been welded. Just leave it a bit muddy before you sell it.. Most pin holes get beat out by the pin rotating. If you can keep the pin stationary they last a lot longer. A lot of farm equipment I've used has a tab welded on the end of the pin that is then bolted to the machine to keep the pin from moving. If your tab is worn oblong, you can weld one side back to normal, and the other side weld a bump on your pin that fills the oblong hole and also keeps it from spinning.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts