1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Lol I can see why.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Ohhh, that can be a miserable experience. When I was finishing up my training at Treasure Island, San Fran, my orders got lost and I had to wait 2 months until I got assigned to my ship. Meanwhile they had to give me a job somewhere, so they just happened to put me in charge of CS training for Officers. As a fresh young E2 sailor, I thoroughly enjoyed running them threw that... :evil6:

·
Registered
442 Posts
I remember doing that.

I had a cold when we went to the "gas chamber," and I started coughing when we were in there (I'd been coughing all week).

Suddenly, I had a Captain, a First Lieutenant, and a Corpsman all in my face, screaming at me (through their gas masks) to calm down, and that everything was going to be fine!

Of course, everything was fine with me... I just had a cold! :dontknow:

I'm not sure they totally believed me, but eventually they backed off, and I stuck it out with everyone else.

All in all, CS gas didn't affect me as much as it did some of the other recruits... but it was still the sh*ts!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
In 1961, Fort Ord, CA, they dosed us the with tear gas & weak chlorine.
Don't remember which was worse...I suspect the chlorine!

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
I was the Advanced Weapons and Chemical Agents Instructor for my department. CS (Tear Gas) sucks but you get over it pretty easy. Snotty nose, burning eyes and lips and a lot of coughing. CN gas is the nasty stuff you want no part of and we never exposed recruits to it. I don't think they even use the stuff any more because the clean up and decontamination process is just too severe. To give you an idea of how bad that stuff is. I am retired now for over 18 years and all of my work related stuff has been stored in a plastic action packer on a shelf down stairs and it included my gloves from gas training on the range. I went looking for something just last week and opened that box after 18 years and gassed myself all over again. I had to toss the gloves out and all the other cloth materials in my box.

Tell your son I thank him for serving and the next time he might get gassed is when some dummy deploys the stuff without taking into consideration the way the winds are blowing. Happens all the time when they shoot off a few grenade canisters into a crowd and the wind blows it right back in your face. If you happen to have a beard then the gas mask is about as effective as a screen door in a submarine.

GaryL

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Third week of Basic...Leaving the CS gas training....Red faced one in the middle...

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
As you can see from all the other replies, one does not forget the "gas chamber experience". You son has joined that group.

Only in these last few years have I forgot every word which I was to recite when I was asked to remove my gas mask. Basically, I just forgot the order in which I was to recite them as I can remember everything I was asked to say. I didn't make it before I started choking.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Interesting but I get sad wondering how many of those fine Americans will be sacrificed. I thank them
all for their volunteering to be sacrificed. But sure wish nobody had to die needlessly. And to what purpose.
One friend losing his Son was just too many for yours truly. All the Glory and Honor seem to fade with loss of a person.
Sorry to be damper but celebrating going to war should be tempered with the gravity of situation.
We should all pray for the safe return of all.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Interesting but I get sad wondering how many of those fine Americans will be sacrificed. I thank them
all for their volunteering to be sacrificed. But sure wish nobody had to die needlessly. And to what purpose.
One friend losing his Son was just too many for yours truly. All the Glory and Honor seem to fade with loss of a person.
Sorry to be damper but celebrating going to war should be tempered with the gravity of situation.
We should all pray for the safe return of all.
I did ad a Like to what you said but need to ad a bit more. No human should ever die in war or conflict but we must always remember that "Freedom is not Free". Man has been at war with each other since the beginning of man and as hard as this is to say I think it is the natural progression of life here on earth.
I have never killed up close and personal but I know for sure many of my actions both in the service and in my LEO career caused the deaths of many. Killing is one of the evils of living and it comes in many forms and will never stop. Honor those who gave their lives for what they believed was the "Greater Good" and cherish the life you have and lead with all the goodness you can muster.

GaryL

·
Registered
604 Posts
Whoa man. Do I ever remember that day. Everyone choking and puking all around. It didn't seem to affect me nearly as bad as others but it still stung like hell and sucked total ass. Worst thing was I had left my poncho liner in my cargo pocket and we had to bivouac that night using ponchos and liners as a taco shell sleeping bag. Dumbass! Itchiest night EVERRR! I would still rather do CS again than pepper spray in the face again. Now the most dangerous thing is the occasional attack of the grapefruit squirt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts