TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been posting almost everyday now so i figured intro was necessary

i have a 2007 tw that I got for 2k with 4500 miles on it. it is my first road bike. I had a honda trail 110 in high school on the farm and later bought a cr125 for the track. I sold both bikes when I moved to college. newly married now after college. working in biomedical. I was driving a basketcase. I had a 1980 formula firebird that was giving me trouble every week almost. got her fixed up enough to sell and found my tw locally. I was orginally looking for a late model KLR. i sold the pontiac to a man from galveston for 2100.00 and went the same day and got my yamaha.

The poor guy who bought the firechicken didnt make it 100 miles back home before it blew the radiator and put him on the side of the road. for a while I felt bad about it, but I sold it as is. I never said it was a pearl. anyway, i've been on my little yamaha now everyday for almost 2 years, rain or shine. I smile just thinking about it. Thank you for this website. good group of guys and a great resource for a passion very few can understand. I get the "its only 200cc?" question alot but I don't care.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I get the why the heck are you riding that a lot to.I don't even try to explain...I just tell them she gets 70mpg and costs me $2.50 a day to run back and forth to work.....smile and walk away.

My other bike is a 650 V-Strom and a fellow said to me the other day "why don't you ride your "real"bike?"Of course he doesn't ride a Harley or he wouldn't have even asked.

Another guy said the TW looked like a Z-50 on steroids.Now that was funny.

She ain't no dream bike but it puts a smile on my face every-time I ride it and is just so effortless to ride compared to a bigger heavier machine....not to mention it will take you places no big heavy bike will.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I've had quite a few people ask what is that? Not a bike you see alot. I happened to stumble on one on Craigs list and knew right then that I had to ride a Tdub! very cool bikes that go almost anywhere.

·
Registered
73 Posts
TW it's not a bike it's a lifestyle. I've only had one for a month and I think it's great. My wife actually got on it with me and rode a couple miles to go out and eat. I was a bit shocked but when I bought it she said it was cool.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I've had quite a few people ask what is that? Not a bike you see alot. I happened to stumble on one on Craigs list and knew right then that I had to ride a Tdub! very cool bikes that go almost anywhere.

i agree...my tw gets a lot of attention...but then i have no stickers on it so it's a little hard to figure out

·
Registered
238 Posts
My affair with the TW started four summers ago when a couple of guys rode up and I said, "What's that." They let me check it out and gave me all the good info. That did it, the next summer there was one in my garage. Just dug it out of the Conex van yesterday and am now waiting for the ice to melt from our drive (400 ft)to start the fun.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I have owned bikes since 1973 and have had some great and memorable rides/times. Quite often a bike was my only transportation. I remember seeing the TW when it first came out and thinking how cool it looked, and I have lusted for one ever since. We finally bought our's last Jan and they have exceeded my years of speculation.

Great bikes!

Thanks for the thread YT.

Bag

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Picked up my 2009 leftover last June.....what a fun machine.....Honda missed the boat for not making their version!.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My 2009 leftover came my way in Jan. 2011. I have other bikes, but nothing like the T-Dub. Yesterday, I put 200 miles on that little rascal, and came home smiling. Some of the roads were U.S Routes and some were cow paths. I told my wife this morning, that yesterday ( all 13 hours of it ) might have been one of the best days I ever spent on a motorcycle. The T-Dub is the two-wheeled version of a zip-file. There is a lot more in there than you would ever expect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im new to this here forum and the world of motorcycles. All my friends have been scooting around on mopeds and I have been burning up dinosaur juice in an 87 Suburban that gets ~10mpg. Last year I spent about 2400 bucks on fuel and all my travel is only between school and home. So one saturday morning I checked craigslist for a moped so I could be part of the gang and save my wad. To my luck I couldnt find any mopeds but saw a listing for a TW that posted about 20 minutes before i checked. I had no idea what a TW200 was but loved the way it looked, so cool. I hoped in my gas hog to meet the poster. I handed the man with the TW 500 bucks and told him to take the posting down. The next week I paid him in full. Today I spent all afternoon banking turns through the most scenic route in Southern Arizona and I have never felt so much joy on the road. The TW came into my life spur of the moment and I am so glad it did. Screw mopeds and huge Chevy's, life after a TW will never be the same.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Since we're getting all sentimental and teary-eyed... I'm just over a year into a 2005 & 2010, with almost 5000 miles between them so far. I guess I was trying to replicate my 75' Honda 350 scrambler feeling when I ran across this forum. That led to the first one...

It took me a WHOLE month to go out and buy the second one.

Amazing how such a little thing can put a smile on my face day after day.

200cc's and we're gloating over the fun and mileage over "bigger, better, badder" bikes... We're an arrogant bunch, but we have fun doing it!

·
Registered
333 Posts
TW's replaced doctors for me, If I feel bad about something, go for a ride. If I feel sick (cold) ,go for a ride. If I feel achks and pains, go for a ride. I'm a month away from turning 60, the TW makes me feel like 17. Doctors can't do that, but a little motorbike like the TW can. People with the big bikes probably can't imangine why people come and look at our little, underpowered, funny looking motorbikes that go anywhere.

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
I'm a month away from turning 60, the TW makes me feel like 17. Doctors can't do that,

Well said.

Inspiring original story and good supplemental input by others. Makes me feel good. Thanks all!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well said.

Inspiring original story and good supplemental input by others. Makes me feel good. Thanks all!

my wife laughs at me b/c everytime I go out riding, i have a stupid big smile on my face when I get back

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had an 02 for a few years, that I made the mistake of selling - This February pay check bought me a never ridden or registered '10 that had been overlooked for a couple of years in a distribution warehouse before being taken by the Chehalis WA dealer. I missed my 02 so much I had a hole where it used to fit in my being.

I am rapidly gaining on 60yrs too, so to have the wonderful feeling of trundling around on such a functional though very small engined machine is great - I have five acres of field to play in, and plenty of quiet roads. Unfortunately, all the forest trails that used to be great to ride on, are now closed with new yellow gates blocking years old trails.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I first noticed a "TW" a few years at a neighbors place, out in the desert in the Big Bend area of Texas. With that fat tire on the back it just looked like it belonged out there. I had been thinking of taking a bike out there when I visited, so I started researching the bike, including this forum. I cooled off after awhile as I only visit the area once a year if I am lucky.

Then my wife, who had talked about learning to ride for awhile, seemed to get serious and actually took the MSC late last year.. At the end of the first day of the course, she must of inadvertently released the clutch while still in gear and the bike jumped which I am guessing led to her goosing the throttle. She fell. Although not hurt, the Honda rebel was pretty smashed. She returned the next day but was spooked and just couldnt get back on the bike. (give her a break she is 57yr)

She insisted that we should buy a Rebel and I should teach her. Thinking to myself that if she were to give up trying to ride, i didnt want to be stuck with a rebel that she may have dropped, I renewed my interest in the TW...I could always do something with it if she quit.

The rest is history. With a lot of help and guidance from the members of this forum,to lowering her bike and other issues I have had. We are now one big Happy ridding family with three TW's in the stable.

Just wish I had other areas to ride more often other than North Florida...Some of you guys have awesome places to ride.

·
Registered
94 Posts
About 20 years ago a buddy bought the big wheel version from a forest company survey dept and right away I wanted one. Money being tight a new one was out of reach ,my buddy got tired of the bike and sold it without telling me, some buddy. I didn"t realize there was a version you could take on the street too until last year when I was on a site where a fellow had a trailer built and went from wash state to the mid west and back and then another fellow went from Idaho to alaska and back on a tw. Now I definitely wanted one, then I found this forum and that sealed the deal. I too am in the 60 range and until I get my road cert for a longer trip in the future I will be pounding the logging roads and trails, its all fun.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts