·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, it is yoo-glie!:D As are most of my bikes.:cool:
87tw1.jpg 87tw.jpg

Here's some proof of that "other bikes" comment:
xl70_125.jpg

Anyway, I gave $450 for this gem. Too much, and I really think it's only worth $300, but the seller wouldn't go any lower (originally asking $600) and the only other one in my area that I could afford had been sold. That one was a nice condition, fully rideable '89 for $1300 obo.

So anyway, this is an '87 with 6K+ miles, clogged carb, PO had been starting it on ether for everyone who looked at it. I hope he didn't break a ring or worse.
I've ordered a Chinese VM26 clone carb, and plan to flush the varnish out of the tank and lines, add a fuel filter, and see how it runs. Hope it doesn't cost more than I could have bought a decent one for, just to make it rideable.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Yes, it is yoo-glie!:D As are most of my bikes.:cool:
View attachment 18933 View attachment 18934

Here's some proof of that "other bikes" comment:
View attachment 18935

Anyway, I gave $450 for this gem. Too much, and I really think it's only worth $300, but the seller wouldn't go any lower (originally asking $600) and the only other one in my area that I could afford had been sold. That one was a nice condition, fully rideable '89 for $1300 obo.

So anyway, this is an '87 with 6K+ miles, clogged carb, PO had been starting it on ether for everyone who looked at it. I hope he didn't break a ring or worse.
I've ordered a Chinese VM26 clone carb, and plan to flush the varnish out of the tank and lines, add a fuel filter, and see how it runs. Hope it doesn't cost more than I could have bought a decent one for, just to make it rideable.
I will have to respectfully disagree with your valuation of the TW. Looking strictly from a Parts Bike perspective, there is at least as much value there as you paid. You could easily sell the Kick Starter, Carb Body, Wheels and if the frame has a clean title it too has some good value. On the other hand, bringing that TW back to good solid road worthiness will be an expensive project. Many here try hard to think outside of the box but I think inside the box and those parts in boxes for shipping equal money.

GaryL

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay....YOU win....those are the UGLIEST bikes I have ever seen...and I have seen some ugly bikes in my days.

No contest....you da winner ! :D

Oh, and in case you didn't notice, your front tire is flat :eek:
Yep, and that was the CL ad!:D
I pumped that tire up once I got it home, though.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have to respectfully disagree with your valuation of the TW. Looking strictly from a Parts Bike perspective, there is at least as much value there as you paid. You could easily sell the Kick Starter, Carb Body, Wheels and if the frame has a clean title it too has some good value. On the other hand, bringing that TW back to good solid road worthiness will be an expensive project. Many here try hard to think outside of the box but I think inside the box and those parts in boxes for shipping equal money.

GaryL
Yeah, I've considered that possibility, and I might have to do it. All depends on the running condition of the engine once I have the fuel system cleaned. If it runs without issue, it will be a rider.

I built the little Honda from a bare frame, a free parts bike (different model and year), another $75 parts bike (yet another year and model) and some parts from ebay. It's a great little rider that gets 80+ mpg in combined on- and off-road riding.

·
Registered
20,189 Posts
Hey, don't make fun of that 'lil Honda! Looks rather functional with two rear sprockets, vise grips on frame and a custom seat cover you don't see everyday. I'ld certainly ride it, maybe not in public though:rolleyes:.
The TW can come back to life, all the pieces are there and the Honda proves Wecsoc has the ingenuity to make it happen. I'm optimistic even if it needs a bucket of TLC.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Fred!
Actually the TW lives now, sorta. I pulled the tank and carb. Tank is not too rusty but has sludge in the bottom. I bought two oem petcock assemblies on ebay for $13 shipped from New York, and I plan to flush the tank with Coca-Cola (I've heard that works well).
Pulled the bowl, main jet, pilot jet off the carb, sprayed with B12 cleaner, poked a bread twistie wire through the jets. Put it back together and reinstalled. Hooked up a weedeater tank to test it. Started on the first kick, and seems to run fine.

·
Super Moderator
17,964 Posts
So far, so good....:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
That TW is a steal at $450. At least in the northeast. Sand and paint the plastics and tank, clean up the carb good, eBay $30 seat cover and you'll have a great looking bike

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
that lil tdub is a real hodge podge of parts isn't it? seat from an '06, black plastics from ? the motor doesn't look like it's from an '87... they were painted all black. the swing arm was silver for an '87....
???

hope it cleans up nicely for you.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
that lil tdub is a real hodge podge of parts isn't it? seat from an '06, black plastics from ? the motor doesn't look like it's from an '87... they were painted all black. the swing arm was silver for an '87....
???

hope it cleans up nicely for you.
I guess I need to check the sn of the engine to see if it matches. Given that it has lived its life as an Appalachian mountain bike, who knows?
The bike was originally blue and white, but it was stolen from the PO and then recovered after a few months with this black and silver paint on it. Looks like it was painted with a brush.

BTW, I rode it today! Front tire was going flat within 5 minutes and I had the weedeater tank tied to the top clamp, but I rode it a quarter mile down the dirt road I live on. Coming back the tire was flat, so I just stayed on the throttle and kept my weight back. Lots easier to do that on this bike than on my Sportster!:laughing6:

Also, my $25 VM26 clone arrived today. For now I'm still running the stock carb, but once I get the tank sorted out I plan to swap in the new one.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Forgot to mention: the clutch cable barely moved. PO included a "new" (sez he) cable that turned out to be just as bad and not even the correct cable. So I grabbed my new spare cable for the little Honda and found that it worked reasonably well, so that is how I rode it.

I ordered a new oem cable this evening, as well as a Kenda K270 5.10 and new tube to match.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Checked engine s/n, and it matches. Might be a different jug though, which would point to at least a top end rebuild at some time in the past.

Used spray-on paint stripper to remove the silver roof coating that had been brushed on the tank. Took tank (sans petcock assy and cap) to a car wash and pressure washed it inside and out. Sprayed the outside of the tank with Rustoleum primer.

Registered and insured the bike today. Insurance on this thing about broke me: fifty-three cents per month!:laughing7::icon_thumleft:

·
Super Moderator
17,964 Posts
Are you kidding me bro!!! 53 cents!!! Amazing. +1 for sure!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts