TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
I'm impressed Nick. That you were successful with stock tires and gearing is a real testament to not only your rapidly developing skills but also to the basic qualities of these little TW mules.
If you wish to make a habit out of these challenging trails then some mods like sprocket changes could make things much easier. Something like13/55 sprockets and an ATV tire would really make you look heroic in that it could permit a slower consistent speed without stoping, or much spinning going up as well as allow descent without using much, if any, brakes.
Well done!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I really enjoyed your ride. Thanks for sharing. That was steeper and rockier than it looked on camera. Fred’s right even just a 55 rear sprocket would have helped. I can’t ride anymore so thanks for taking me along. If you do go to lower gearing you will be looking fof 6th gear sooner Lol. The lower gearing is worth it for that kinda riding.

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Great video Till Death Dual Do Us Sport. After seeing you ace that maybe we should just call you Death Sport instead.:D
Many don't realize that these videos don't really convey just how steep a trail like Nick's was.
Maybe a dual rear sprocket set up could allow you to keep your day to day versatility but still have an ace in the hole for those more technical trails. Move chain from an outer 50 sprocket to an inner 55 tooth. A few threads on this address most issues if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
311 Posts
We have a very similar trail, about a mile long, about 10-15 minute ride from our place. The quad handles it pretty well, but after three tries I haven't managed more than half way up with my TW yet. Exhausting every time! My son conquered it last year so I know the TW can manage it, but it confirmed that rider skill matters. I'm just not that rider yet, darn it!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Good ride & vid, Nick!
Which was harder...up or down?
Thanks for posting your vids.

270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm impressed Nick. That you were successful with stock tires and gearing is a real testament to not only your rapidly developing skills but also to the basic qualities of these little TW mules.
If you wish to make a habit out of these challenging trails then some mods like sprocket changes could make things much easier. Something like13/55 sprockets and an ATV tire would really make you look heroic in that it could permit a slower consistent speed without stoping, or much spinning going up as well as allow descent without using much, if any, brakes.
Well done!
Much appreciated, Fred! I have thought about changing the gearing but I’m not sure if I’m willing to sacrifice the dash of top-end that’s already there :grin: I really need to upgrade my suspension so I will probable tackle that first and see what kind of improvements that brings to the table…very curious to see what stiffer springs and emulators do.

270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really enjoyed your ride. Thanks for sharing. That was steeper and rockier than it looked on camera. Fred’s right even just a 55 rear sprocket would have helped. I can’t ride anymore so thanks for taking me along. If you do go to lower gearing you will be looking fof 6th gear sooner Lol. The lower gearing is worth it for that kinda riding.
Thanks, Tweaker!

It’s always much steeper in person! Maybe I should carry a level with me to convey just how steep some of these hills really are, haha.

Sorry to hear you can’t ride anymore. Hopefully you have many years of adventure under your belt!

Thanks again!

270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We have a very similar trail, about a mile long, about 10-15 minute ride from our place. The quad handles it pretty well, but after three tries I haven't managed more than half way up with my TW yet. Exhausting every time! My son conquered it last year so I know the TW can manage it, but it confirmed that rider skill matters. I'm just not that rider yet, darn it!
That sounds like a doozy! So much for “third times a charm” right?:p Keep at it!

270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good ride & vid, Nick!
Which was harder...up or down?
Thanks for posting your vids.
Thank you, Darth!

Up takes the take on this one.

270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 21 Posts