TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Next week I'll be picking up two TW200s. I'm trying to decide about trailer options. I have a trailer that I made from a Jeep Comanche short bed, see photos below. I don't have any reservation about the welding job, or the quality of the trailer. My concern is more about loading, the height of the weight above the axle, and other logistics I may not be thinking about.

Inside dimensions = 73.7"(+ tailgate) length x 55" wide x 40" tall. The tall restriction is due to the kayak rack I made out of a truck bed ladder rack from Home Depot. I can remove that, or extend the height of it if need be.

a) Yamaha's site lists the TW200 height at 44.1", but I assume that is with mirrors. Can anyone confirm that the height without mirrors?

b) Will two bikes fit in this width? I've never own a motorcycle before and am unsure how the double bike tie down process works.

c) by my calculations the back tire should sit on the truck bed, inside the tailgate. However 9" of the bike, according to Yamaha's 82.3" length measurement, will require the tailgate to be down. Probably mostly the edge of the rear tie and the license plate area.

d) I want to be able to carry the kayaks and the bikes. Am I crazy for wanting to carry my bikes in this? Should I sell this and buy a real trailer?

Thanks

IMG_5514.jpg IMG_5516.jpg

Registered
a) Yamaha's site lists the TW200 height at 44.1", but I assume that is with mirrors. Can anyone confirm that the height without mirrors?

b) Will two bikes fit in this width? I've never own a motorcycle before and am unsure how the double bike tie down process works.

c) by my calculations the back tire should sit on the truck bed, inside the tailgate. However 9" of the bike, according to Yamaha's 82.3" length measurement, will require the tailgate to be down. Probably mostly the edge of the rear tie and the license plate area.

d) I want to be able to carry the kayaks and the bikes. Am I crazy for wanting to carry my bikes in this? Should I sell this and buy a real trailer?

Thanks
a: That is height without mirrors.
b:Only if you put them back to front.
c: Get a bed extender....it's a barrier that goes around the outside of the lowered tailgate.
d: I don't see how you could do this with two bikes in there, unless those racks are taller than they look in the pics. Easy to figure that one out. High CG probably isn't an issue unless you get blindsided by a sharp corner. :eek:

My guess is that after you struggle with trying to load and tie down the bikes back to front a few times you will want a nice covered 6X8 Utility trailer! I have a 5x8 covered trailer purchased specifically for the bikes but I have to put the TW in backwards when the BMW is in there. It's really difficult when I'm alone and real awkward to tie down backwards. My floor is only 16" off the ground and it has a back door ramp. It serves a a garage and security parking whenever I'm on a trip.

As far as tiedowns, get some good quality ratcheting ones and some nylon webbing loops so as not to scar the attach points, and some folding heavy duty rings for the floor. You want to be able to go over a whoop-de-do at 65 mph with the trailer airborne....I guarantee it will happen to you someday! :p

Registered

Thanks

View attachment 28293 View attachment 28294
I believe that you can fit two TW's into this trailer, but it will be bit tricky getting them in and out. Here are my suggestions:

-Get a long ramp or have some strong helpers. The tailgate looks pretty high for rolling or hoisting TW's into the bed.

-You may want to consider removing the rear ladder rack for your initial trip. This will only serve to complicate getting the bikes into and out of the trailer.

-Your bed in pretty narrow, similar to my Ranger, so you will probably have to load the first bike in head first, and the second one tail first. Otherwise, the handlebars will interfere with each other.

-There's nothing super scientific about how to tiedown two bikes, but without a center tiedown point it is often difficult to get straight shots to the tiedown points on the sides of the bed, resulting in straps that have to contact the bikes and potentially causing damage to the bikes and or the straps.

-Since you will not be able to close the tailgate, plan on going overboard with redundant tiedowns to ensure you don't look in your mirror and see one of your new TW's bouncing down the road behind you.

Like I said, I think it can be done but this little trailer is less than ideal.

I hope this helps,

Brian

Registered
6 x 10 trailer. I got it used for just about $1500.

Registered
I bought a TW in AZ. Hauled it home in a Dodge Caravan. Didn't have to do anything but remove mirrors. Used an automotive ramp (like to change oil) to load it. You could lower front by slipping forks up in triple clamps, deflate tires, whatever it takes. Four inches isn't much.

Registered
John, you have a very nice trailer but it seems less than optimal for the stated purpose. Either sell it and get a lower, larger, lighter trailer with a custom add-on kayak rack, or be prepared to deal with removing kayaks and rack when you wish to load/unload TWs. Certainly if you remove rear rack you should be able to load and transport the bikes when you pick them up next week if you have ramps and tie down locations and rope,cam lock or ratchet tie-down. With your trailer's height I tend to recommend two ramps, one for the bike and one for you to walk on while you guide each bike up ramp.
I use a pair of these $20 brackets and some bed-length 2x8s for my truck. Brackets available from Walmart, Home Depot and many other vendors. I can get two bikes in an older Toyota Hi-lux both facing forward even through truck bed has a somewhat constrictive Rack-It lumber rack and both TWs have wide-hips with Cycleracks. So you may get away with loading both bikes conveniently forward facing.
Good Luck! lund_ramp_kit_attached.jpg
P.S. If in doubt rent or borrow a different trailer for the initial retrieval of new bikes. Once home you can optimize what you have or decide on a better long term solution.

Registered
Welcome to the site. You will come to find that coming to me for advice is like going to Ted Kennedy for a driving lesson. This is what I would do. Start from here- You have the wrong trailer for the job, but it is the best trailer for you because it is your only trailer. Get rid of the rack. Put one TW in the trailer with at least two ratchet straps. Cock the rear end over about 30 degrees, pinch it in with the tailgate, and call it good. Then put a hitch on the back of the trailer and put a hitch mounted carrier on the back. Dismiss the idea of two bikes in that trailer.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have figured out that my trailer is not my long term solution; just my get them home solution. I really have no place to store two trailers. Which means the little Jeep project trailer has to go. :(

Seeing this on CL. A set of "J" hooks mounted outside on each side, with a good set up bungees, gives me kayak mounts. 5x9 gives me enough room for both bikes. I would go enclosed, but they are $2000+ here in Colorado.

00505_9ccqbPzDl6V_600x450.jpg

Registered
Northern Tool has a 5 x 8 kit trailer for a little over $500. For an additional $100 you can add a floor and tie down points for the bikes, and a specialty rack for your kayaks. :D
Ironton Heavy-Duty Trailer Kit 鈥 5ft. x 8ft., 5.30-12in. Tires | Trailers| Northern Tool + Equipment

OR, search Craigslist in your area for a nice cargo trailer. <-- sorry, you posted while I was typing, didn't see the prices in your area.

Personally, I love to build stuff, so would go for the Northern Tool trailer kit. But I'm crazy like that. For security, the reasonable side of me says buy a cargo trailer, add ladder racks to the top to put your kayaks, and be the envy of your buddies when you can camp inside the trailer without having to pitch a tent!

Registered
, the reasonable side of me says buy a cargo trailer, add ladder racks to the top to put your kayaks, and be the envy of your buddies when you can camp inside the trailer without having to pitch a tent!
That's what I've been thinking I'd like to do. Trade mine in on a slightly larger trailer, and convert it for sleeping as well as the bikes.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
60" is wide enough for two bikes, not staggered?

bars are 33" wide
if the tank is 12" wide (???) that leaves 10.5 for the bars to reach outside the tank, over hang

(12" + 10.5") + (12" + 10.5") = 45"

leaving 15" of wiggle room for nothing to touch or rub.

??? correct? :)

this one is growing on me $900, probably talk him down to $800?

Utility Trailer 5 x 8 Tilt Deck

I can get sides for it.

Galvanized-Homeowner-Tilt-Bed-A.png

Registered
60" is wide enough for two bikes, not staggered?
No, not a chance! That's how wide mine is and at eight feet long I cannot stagger the bikes. It would have to be 10 feet long to do that. You might as well buy a 6X10. Even when tied down back to front I have only 1" of clearance in places and have to use blocks of super stiff foam to keep them from bashing each other. It's just too small for two bikes with any reasonable ease of loading and unloading....it takes me half an hour to get both bikes loaded and properly tied down. When I go camping the TW lives outside under a cover and the BMW lives in the trailer.

Registered
I have a 5'x10' with 2' sides and a full 5'x5' fold down ramp. Both bikes fit with about 2" of clearance between the handlebars. Easy access to all the tie downs. I wish I would have bought the 6' wide version because I can only fit the HD and no TW's.

Registered
My step-son saw the picture and agrees. At least 1500.

Way cool trailer BTW.

I agree. Get yourself a real enclosed trailer. 6X8 would be minimum.

I can probably sell this for $1500. The Jeep JK guys drool over it every time I have it parked somewhere.

That would buy me a more than adequate trailer.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
No, not a chance! That's how wide mine is and at eight feet long I cannot stagger the bikes. It would have to be 10 feet long to do that. You might as well buy a 6X10. Even when tied down back to front I have only 1" of clearance in places and have to use blocks of super stiff foam to keep them from bashing each other. It's just too small for two bikes with any reasonable ease of loading and unloading....it takes me half an hour to get both bikes loaded and properly tied down. When I go camping the TW lives outside under a cover and the BMW lives in the trailer.
I was talking about it on an open top. 5ft wide would be enough to with the outside 1/2 of the bars hanging off; enclosed I need 6ft.

Registered
My utility trailer is 4x8, with 2 foot sides. By putting the foot peg very near the trailer side wall, I can easily haul two bikes.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts