TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking on here for about a year now, and been gathering a plethora of info and ideas for my TW. I figured I'd make a small build thread because I know I've taken a little info from there, an idea or two from here, etc. and it helped me a lot to see the different combos people have done on theirs, so maybe mine will help someone else the same way. I'll be updating this thread as I do more mods, now on to the info...

I got my tw a little over a year ago as a trade for a four wheeler I had, I had never ridden a bike on the road and was pretty much looking for anything, someone offered my these and I accepted.

2005 TW200, only thing previous owner had done was regular maintenance and changed the rear sprocket to a 47t.

So far I have done:

-New 42t rear sprocket, 14t front sprocket and a chain(cruise at 60-65 without me feeling like the motors gonna blow, haha)

-Change oil with Mobile 1 full synthetic

-Hollow Mod, for the most part, still using stock battery, need to get one of the thinner batteries and make a smaller box

-Round headlight off of a Yamaha FS1 (fits almost perfectly on the stock mount, you could use either spacers or bend in the bracket some, I did the 2nd)

-Shorter front blinkers

-Ignition relocated to under seat

-Blaster shock body, but took off the blaster spring and put the stock tw one on with a coil over helper spring under it to take up the space (in between the two is a plastic piece that centers the springs) RIDES AMAZING, I'm a big boy so I pretty much bottomed out the blaster spring just sitting on it, the tw spring was great, but not tall enough for me, this was probably one of my favorite mods so far.

-Integrated tail/brake/blinker/plate frame

-Drag Specialties speedo with indicator lights, ratio 2240:60 just in case others were curious

-DG R Series slip on

-Wide foot pegs for 50 bikes

-Acerbis supermoto black front fender

-Pro Taper High Bend ATV bars jet black model# 02-5257 (installed tonight, no pics yet)

-EBC high performance clutch kit (not installed yet)

-Green anodized oil fill cap (took a guess on one that fits the wr and yz bikes, worked perfect, same thread!)

-Neon green PWC fuel line

-Chrome fuel cap from a FS1 (was also on other older models)

-Yamaha Shock Covers

-Bridgestone tw203/tw204

-Pro Taper pillow top MX hand grips(green/black ones now)

-Extended kickstand 3.5"

-Painted tank black and removed bottom plastic tabs, tried many different paints, none were gas resistant, so far engine paint has worked, but still going to either paint it for real or powder coat eventually

The to-do list:

-Black seat cover

-Finish the hollow mod box

-Smaller battery

-Kick Starter

-Put my green yamaha logos on my tank

-Strip to frame and remove plastic mount tabs and what ever else I'm not using

-Powder coat or paint triple tree, swing arm, etc.

-Extend swingarm

-TTR stainless pipe or the pipe people have that goes under the motor, but don't know what it's called or where to get it

I believe that's about it, so on to the pics, if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Just after painting the tank:

The speedo that didn't work:

My customized speedo (left corner led is neutral, right corner led is blinker (this is now off and replaced with a drag specialties speedo):

Round FS1 headlight:

Before I extended the kickstand:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
It looks like a "Works" bike. Nice.

"WORKS" bikes were one-off bikes that factory rides had up until the late 80's or early 90's. No one could touch them as far as technology. Parts usually consisted up the lightest materials...titanium, magnesium etc. Then they crushed them so no one could see what future technology the companies were working on.

Here is an example: RC 250

http://www.mxworksbike.com/RJ_1986250_1.htm

The "WORKS" Honda RC 500

http://www.mxworksbike.com/1989 rc500.htm

The Stock Honda CR 250

http://www.dirtbikerider.us/Index.cfm?Go=SP&ID=268097

The Stock Honda CR 500

http://ausvmx.ning.com/photo/honda-cr500-1986

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, is "works" a type or brand of bike or something? Never heard of it before. Ill have some new pics today with the bars and the shock setup I did last night. Probably throw on my decals too. Tank just looks naked with nothing on it. Haha

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, don't worry. this bike will always be ridden, although, barely ever on on trails, if any. The occasional rail road bed but that will be about it.

Updated pics:

New bars:

New shock setup, blaster shock body, tw spring, and helper spring out of a car coil over to fill in the slack.

New tires, going on tomorrow:

Wheels off:

Forgot to add that I also relocated the ignition:

Here's a pic of the tail, circles have the blinker/brake/tail all in one:

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Lookin good. I really like the speedo mod. Although it is hard for me to see why someone would want to limit the tw to street-only use. To each his own I guess.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Craigerk, I'll also be using my TW for street use only..

i have a question on tires.. i'm trying to pick between the bridgestone slicks 203/204 (looks like your going to use them) or the bridgestone nubbed tires (34 it think)..

Have you road both styles in the rain? I'm a new rider so my worry is the slicks will be a bit slippy in the rain.

Nerk

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Yes indeed, another Very nice Hollow-Mod......... Clever solution to stiffing up the Blaster shock. Since the diameters seem right-on, what brand and cost was the helper spring? Again, nice JOB! Gerry

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I made it street use for a few reasons, I barely ever have time to do any trail riding, (another reason I traded my wheeler for it), I suck riding a dirt bike off road, I've trail ridden kdx200, kx250, kx125, etc and just never got the hang of it, and I like the look of these on road.

I've only ridden the stock tires in the rain. I'm grabbing the wheels with the new tires from my buddy today. So well see how they go. I never had a problem with the stock ones, and all my friends with street bikes and cruisers say as long as you pay attention your good with the slick type of tire. I barely ever ride in rain though anyways.

The helper spring is out of a set of Patec coilovers for a vw jetta/golf mk3(90s era) but the brand rokkor has the same size. The only problem is the helper springs usually come on the coilover, which at the least is a $300 set. I take the helpers out to go lower on my vw's though so that's why I have these laying around. The helper spring works great, it is about 2mm bigger which is another good reason to have the plastic centering piece in there(those come on the coilover also). Plus to give it a flat surface between the two. I was thinking about ordering cheapo universal adjustable coilover to see what the size difference is cause that way more people could do this if they wanted to. Well see.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the tires back on yesterday, also installed the Speedo. I got this Pic before I left for work today. When I got to work it started to rain, so after work I might have some wet weather info on the ride. The ride in was amazing, so much smother.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New pics, LOVING this setup so far...

It ended up drying out when I got out of work, so no rain time to report, I also have my speedo on and center mounted it. I ended up flipping the speedo cable and having the metal tube part down at the tire instead of at the speedo, gave me some more room for where I wanted the speedo. I'll grab a pic of it tomorrow.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know its been almost a year to the day since I posted on this thread, but figured I'd give an update on my bike. Since my last post I've:

- Taken out the blaster shock, the height got very annoying, also taking corners on roads doing anything over 45 was kind of sketchy, sometimes the front end would shake a bit and just scared the crap out of me. I ended up putting the stock rear shock back in with a lock collar under the spring to stiffen it up a bit so it wouldnt squat so much with me on it. After reading THIS THREAD by mra32 I bought a vtr1000 shock off ebay for 32 bucks. Should give me a slight height increase in the back to help with squatting since the spring seems to be a bit stiffer. Hopefully it'll come in soon.

- Ordered a new smaller battery and made the smallest battery/electronics tray I could, you can barely see it hanging out from the frame, I'll get a pic soon to post up. The battery is a Rocket Fuze YT4B-BS, dimensions are 1.5" thick, 4" wide and 3.3" tall, starts the bike up no problem! Here is a pic of it next to the battery I had in it:

- Took off the 42t rear sprocket and put a new Sunstar 47t on (what it had when I got it) I barely go over 45 now (got a job closer to home) sofigured I'd change back, head winds sucked going down the road and slowed be down considerably with the 42t.

- Put my rear plastics/frame back on, now that the extension is on I might take it back off to see how I like it, we'll see.

- Bought an extra swingarm off of ebay and extended it 6". Another reason I put the stock shock back on. This is probably my favorite mod so far. Feels so much better and I feel like I have much more control. Couldn't find a 428 chain bigger then 140 links so I put two chains together. Only chain over 140 links is bulk of 25ft! Even tried some dealers, nothing. So far so good! And of course I had to extend the rear brake rod, I just bought steel brake line that fit over the rod (believe 1/4") cut and welded the extension in.

Stock on right, 6" extended on left:

Before paint, wanted to make sure it ran true and fit correctly:

Well, that's it for now, I ordered new front and rear turn signals and a new brake light for the rear. The one I have isn't bright enough for me to feel safe during the day, also going to be changing up the headlight setup. The FS1 light isn't the brightest so gonna try something new. Will post with updates as soon as I figure it out!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can you give me the dimensions on your battery box?
The one you can see hanging down is no longer on the bike, I'm not sure the dimensions sicne I never measured it and don't have it anymore. It was as wide as the frame, tall enough for the battery and a few inches deep for the wiring. My new battery box isn't even visible. It doesn't hang below the frame rail under the seat at all and is as wide as the frame rails and fills the whole under seat area from the spring top mount to the first cross bar under the seat. I can get a pic in a bit.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts