TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I want to state that I had "whine" with my cheese last night.:evil6:
The following is not me whining, but is meant to be an informative statement on practicing good, and honest etiquette when inquiring about buying parts from a forum's classified section, and more importantly a fellow rider.
No less than Five TW-Brethren (yes, Five) had made commitments to buy parts, then backed out by either ceasing communication with me, or after prodding by me, they backed out.
Only one who backed out, was forthright about it.
Only one who made a commitment to buy, did in fact complete the deal.
I went in this morning and marked all of my posts as, "Sold" though they have not sold (I lied). :nono:
So, my point is this... Don't email a seller and state, "I want to buy this" then back out by going silent, or backing out after being prodded by the seller.
Thank you, thank you very much!
Thank-You-5.jpg

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
This is a very tough crowd for selling TW parts to. I think a lot of guys here expect to find the parts they need for next to nothing or donations. I too have some TW parts listed and have had similar results from those who inquired about prices. Most of my parts were purchased here from other members and I paid the price for them so I have no desire to give them away. I look at what the parts cost new from Partzilla and what they sell for at the auction site and decide a number based on the real condition of what I have. I have had much better results selling at the auction site than I ever had here. A part such as a plastic side cover costs $50 new so one in nice condition ought to be worth $20-$25 here but at auction you will probably get $35-$40. Craig's List is not much better with all the scam artists and tire kickers you get interest from. I have wasted more than a few days and lost a few sales because of no show buyers.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I wondered if I was going cooky I thought I saw everything sold and today it was for sale again at even better deals.

I've made my living since I was 12 buying and selling and it's just part of the "game" that it's not done until it's done.

I've had numerous buddies from my school days who are very talented wheeler dealers but all have given up and went back to working for wages and they have often asked me how I can live with not knowing when funds are coming and sometimes it's frustrating when deals flop and they always seem to come in groups but if you hang in there you'll find the perfect buyer who actually appreciates the deal you are offering and is grateful which makes it all worthwhile

In my decade here on the forum I can't recall more than 1 or 2 who didn't follow through and went dark but thats out of quite a few transactions

Don't let it bother you the real happy buyer is right around the corner in fact I'd like to buy the rack and headlight myself and was going to ask(A) where you are located and ( B ) if I could pay you now and pick up next time I'm up in WA but I wanted to make sure I had the funds ready to send before I flapped my gums

if the rack and headlight are still available pls let me know where abouts I could pick up and if you don't mind holding them until I get up in Feb or March, possibly sooner

I'd get you paid in advance of course

thanks and good luck either way

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Gary makes a good point I have often offered items at the forum at lower prices and ended up selling for double or triple on FEEbay or even CL

One last thought my biz has been terrible the past several months the slowest in 20 years and it's because people are struggling the BS about a great economy and great jobs is pure fiction peoples spending capital is in the tank and getting worse things are not normal

Stormy waters dead ahead batten down the hatches !!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Placerlode, you said only 1 or 2 didn't follow through in all those years? I respectfully call BS on you.
I've been in the boatbizz (self employed) for over 40 years, boatyard owner up here and in Kalifornia, buying, selling, fixing and flipping. I came up through the hawespipe, no family money to cushion the blow (not that there's anything wrong with that), and no college. I know better from my own short experience on here, and as a 20 year active seller on eBay, 15 years as a active seller on Gunbroker, and as a charter member of Advrider.com

And for some (I'm not naming names here, though I could) small self-employed, it is not truly a, " need to do business or I can't make the rent next month" now is it? Some people actually depend on their self employment in order to pay the required monthly bills whilst others are "toying" with their "hobby" business. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Gary makes a good point I have often offered items at the forum at lower prices and ended up selling for double or triple on FEEbay or even CL

One last thought my biz has been terrible the past several months the slowest in 20 years and it's because people are struggling the BS about a great economy and great jobs is pure fiction peoples spending capital is in the tank and getting worse things are not normal

Stormy waters dead ahead batten down the hatches !!!
I call BS on you again https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/04/manufacturing-posts-best-calendar-year-for-job-gains-since-1997.html
the latest numbers of income increase and on historical low unemployment are out today, and the numbers are good.
Are you watching the stocks today?
Secondly, boat sales in the smaller and smallest of categories are at an all time 20 year high. Those are not upper middle class and the wealthy buying little fish boats, and pleasure boats.
Thirdly, overall motorcycle sales are also most excellent with some doing better than others.
Another newer product to the two-wheeled market are electric bicycles which presently makers cannot keep up with demand. They are also biting into the smaller gas powered motorcycle market as a effecient, viable green alternative.
IMHO, and again with all due respect, you seem to be insulated from the realities of the blue collar world.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Isn't a forum about being friends?

Almost all information found here can be found in a service manual. There's really no need for this forum to exist. People come here for that sense of camaraderie and friendship. You should be here to help each other out, not make a profit off someone. If profit is your motive, maybe you'd be better off on Ebay than here...

Sorry, not a chance
And maybe try not being so rude? Just a suggestion, not a command.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been buying and selling on eBay for almost 18 years now and I have to agree, I only came to this site to find information and ideas but now I am seeing a lot of whining and complaining about parts sales. The only post I have really enjoyed is the freebies, I have some spare shocks, none were given to me but I would gladly give them to anyone else in need without griping about how much they are worth...

·
Super Moderator
4,020 Posts
I've been buying and selling on eBay for almost 18 years now and I have to agree, I only came to this site to find information and ideas but now I am seeing a lot of whining and complaining about parts sales. The only post I have really enjoyed is the freebies, I have some spare shocks, none were given to me but I would gladly give them to anyone else in need without griping about how much they are worth...
Top Predator (Rick) needs a rear shock. I lost his.. :(

·
Super Moderator
4,020 Posts

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
not sure what my motivation would be to cover for a forum if I was really having problems with it I think boatsnbullship is the only member I ever had troubles working with

ebay I started in 1996 and in my heyday was 15000 items yearly but dead beats for me were still rare less than 1 in 100

now firearms forums is a totally different deal flakes are probably 25% or more and scams abound but it's a poorly regulated part of the web even GunBroker is an amateur run outfit

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I sold a large Malcolm Smith adventure jacket to Rick/TopPredator, a size 42 Triumph jacket to Lugnut and a size 46 Triumph jacket to M C Toyer without any issues. No takers on the Bell like new full face, so I gave it away...also gave away a couple items in the free thread without a single issue.

Howver, the sales were not for profit, but to pass on something I was not using.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
I never had any problems with sales I made to members and none with stuff I bought from members. Lots of guys here looking for parts way cheaper than I can sell them for is all. My response has always been "If you can find it cheaper then go get it". I have sold 5 TWs to members here and never had an issue with any of them either.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
My limited experience was generally positive. I had a bunch of stuff for sale here last spring and when I named a price, some who responded to the ad said no thanks, some bought only part of the offered stuff, but only one out of about 15 never responded to the quote after initial contact. Several countered my price and we had a deal. :) No one backed out after agreeing on a price, which I made very reasonable, only wanting to get rid of duplicate parts. I'm about to put some stuff that didn't sell back on the Classifieds.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts