TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, figured its about time to show you guys what I bought last Saturday! Was tossed between a WR250R or the TW200.... Really tough decision.... Something tried and true and trail fixable, or something fast with lots more suspension & adjusments, but if it breaks on the trail it's going to the dealer

Using it for commuting 17 miles one way to work and back home... And whatever trails I find In between. I Was really torn between being able to take the highway or stuck taking the back roads... In the end, old school reliability won. Plus the amount of knowledge and support found on this forum really helps.

All loaded up and ready to go home. Btw the clutch return spring was not installed correctly, and if I had pliers I would have fixed it, but I had them fix it before I left, so they are still not being installed correctly

Unloaded and sitting in the driveway for its first time... By the time I took this picture it had 9 miles on it and I've already hit 65 mph! Boy what a difference another 150cc makes ( traded in my 2012 Yamaha Zuma 50f... Which was ok... But slow(35mph top speed 39.5 downhill)... My 6'3" 280lb body wasn't exactly fun to tote around on that little guy)

Eventually I hope my gf will want to trade in her 2011 yamaha C3 50cc so we can have a pair of TW200's... First we are both getting our MC endorsements and she will ride mine and see what she thinks about it

Overall the scooter is the most on road riding experience that I've had, and it's a whole nother ball game when you add a clutch to the situation for a beginner... I'm glad I got the tw now after having 20 miles on it ( helmet showed up and had to go test it... Exchanging for a larger helmet... I have sore spots on my head that's how tight it was) I've tried shifting into 6th gear several times now... But it's still ever elusive... I don't think I would feel as safe on the WR250r due to how much taller it is and how much more power is on tap... I'm sure I'll want it some day, just not today

We are a Yamaha family, my gf and I, the first is a 2008 grizzly 700 ducks unlimited with eps, in process of putting it back to stock and selling it... Been in process for over a year now 馃憥 But it was on 29.5 outlaw tires, gorilla rear axles, pro taper handle bars, hand guards from rod speed, fox risers, Airdam clutches wet clutch delete,snorkels, highlifter rack mounted radiator....rigid industries led lights.... Etc.... All done up in the right places... But we wanted a SXS for more room.... And got the alternative... The Samurai

I didn't want the same power plant in a SXS as my Atv so that plus many other reasons we didn't get a Yamaha SXS ...

Back to Yamaha! Unfortunately I got rid of this one... A 2009 Yamaha FZR 1.8L supercharged 4 CYL.... 210 hp Just because I wasn't riding it much anymore.... It was blistering fast... Turn on a dime.... But again... Ready for something bigger that we can go out on and not have to be in before sundown... No replacement yet... House first

I don't have a picture of the other 2 Yamaha products.... A 2400i generator, and the new Yamaha 3000 psi pressure washer... Both awesome by the way...

I love yamaha's and I'm sure they love me... They've all treated me well with the exception of the Atv... But it had an extended warranty on it that the dealer so graciously had no problem warranting for me.... It was constantly up the just the top of the snorkel or radiator in mud/ water so I can understand it had some issues...

I almost bought a Honda Grom 125 however as my scooter replacement

However after cruising their forums for awhile someone joined and was complaining about the "problems " he was having with an older TW200 ( it just needed someone with the will and time for maintenance) I looked into what they were and found this forum.... Been doing a lot of reading and that's how I fell in love with the TW in all of its simple goofiness.... I can't wait to get some memories on the odometer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
Hello and welcome to the forum! I think you made the right decision buying the TW. What they lack on the pavement side, they more than make up for on the trails and are a blast to ride.

Registered
65 mph within the first 20 miles sounds a bit aggressive for those brand new piston rings.

Registered
Nice bike..! Blue is the perfect color for a YAMAHA...!
I also got my TW just about a month ago..! so welcome...! :)

By the time I took this picture it had 9 miles on it and I've already hit 65 mph! Boy what a difference another 150cc makes
Since your bike is brand new unlike mine, i think you should never hit freeway speeds until the Engine Break-in period is over..! manual says to avoid even more than 1/2 throttle operation for prolonged periods for first 1000 miles..! This is very critical for the engine..!

I've tried shifting into 6th gear several times now... But it's still ever elusive...
You might have missed the fact, but TW does not have a 6th gear..! It has only five..! yeah, it's kind of annoying..!
But where i live i can barely hit 100 Kmh (60 mph) and above. There is not enough road except for the main highways...!

Registered
65 mph within the first 20 miles sounds a bit aggressive for those brand new piston rings.
Since your bike is brand new unlike mine, i think you should never hit freeway speeds until the Engine Break-in period is over..! manual says to avoid even more than 1/2 throttle operation for prolonged periods for first 1000 miles..! This is very critical for the engine..!
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Works for me................was told a long time ago that the "break in" method was written by the lawyers, not the engineers.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll have a ton of troublefree fun on your TW.

Registered
Welcome , and yes I believe you made the correct decision (simplicity , mega reliability etc of a TW). This years color scheme is quite appealing.......good choice . Not sure what part of the planet your located ,but , don't forget to look into rejetting the little beast for cooler running and a better running engine ,it's all here on the forum....easy to do too.

Registered
Welcome to the forum Crashking.
Is there a story in that name or did I miss it?

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
You might have missed the fact, but TW does not have a 6th gear..! It has only five..! yeah, it's kind of annoying..!
But where i live i can barely hit 100 Kmh (60 mph) and above. There is not enough road except for the main highways...!
I know they don't have a 6th... I was making a joke.... Most of the posts I've read of people new to the TW seem to want to shift into 6th gear that doesn't exists.... And I was just pointing out that I've got no actual motorcycle experience and also tried shifting into a 6th gear.... Even though I'm not used to having a 6th to shift into

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Works for me................was told a long time ago that the "break in" method was written by the lawyers, not the engineers.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll have a ton of troublefree fun on your TW.
Too funny, I was just about to come on here and link the same article!

Really think about it... How much trouble would the manufactures be in if they didn't outline a slow progressive bonding/familiarization with a Powersports vehicle that has to be written for ANYONE to be able to pick up and understand without killing themselves or others

How upset would a customer be if the owners manual said to change the oil every 100 miles the first 1,000 miles? Which some people on here are very close to doing it seems during their break in period

I've got 20 miles on mine now, I think I've got some regular Dino diesel Jaso MA oil that isn't making its way into my truck, I may go ahead and change the oil out on it after seeing the pics someone posted at 100 miles!

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome , and yes I believe you made the correct decision (simplicity , mega reliability etc of a TW). This years color scheme is quite appealing.......good choice . Not sure what part of the planet your located ,but , don't forget to look into rejetting the little beast for cooler running and a better running engine ,it's all here on the forum....easy to do too.
Thanks!

I'm at sea ish level... Orlando, FL. it does seem to ping under load.... Once I have my endorsement I'm going to try topping it off with 93 and see if it changes at all

I've read quite a bit of the forum already,

Will order the 130 jet soon, and shims

Need to look into the o-ring chain... I've got 0 chain experience so my knowledge about master links and chain breakers is not where I want it to be.. I believe the tw is 124 link stock so a 130 link is required and broken down definitely want that on as soon as possible just for ease of maintinence

Want/need to order a cycle racks black rear rack and attach an action packer box to it, along with the manual canisters for fuel storage... Going from a scooter with built in storage to this requires adding storage!

Already trying to figure out if I want a smoke or deep blue jimbo shield. already in contact with him for that... Tough decision since the light cowl is yamaha blue

I really like the looks of the zeta brand hand guards, will end up with those more than likely...

The TCI skid plate is definitely on the to do list

As soon as the Memorial Oil cooler is available, that will be ordered and installed.... What an awesome Person he was.... Unfortunate I missed being able to interact with him while he was here. However I'm lucky enough that his thoughts and ideas are captured on this forum for me to still use and utilize

Just a small wants/needs list... Lol

Registered
Lots of opinions about break-in exist: No more than 1/2 throttle for first 1000 miles [WHAT!]. Accelerate to 100% occasionally for 1st 500 miles(?). Ride-it-like-you-want-it-to-run. Etc.

However, one constant remains. Change the oil and clean the filter/screen (if brass mesh) after the first 50 miles. Then change again after 200 (some say 500) miles. Me, I only put 250 miles per year on my TW so I do these as recommended or after the riding season (November).

My break-in style? Rise it like you stole it! Maintain it like you own it.

Just sayin.

Banned
The Motoman break-in procedures do not apply to the ancient TW technologies. Motoman himself warns of this in the first few paragraphs.

Tdub2 has a 6th gear. What's your problem? :p

Registered
Right on! I use my 2009 for commuting 16 miles RT everyday and it's awesome only having to put 1.2 gallons in per week.

Registered
Been there. When I'm in the tight woods I want to go one gear lower and when at WOT looking for the next highest gear possible. Kind of reminds me of my ole drz 400 5 speed sometimes.

Registered
Thanks!

I'm at sea ish level... Orlando, FL. it does seem to ping under load.... Once I have my endorsement I'm going to try topping it off with 93 and see if it changes at all

I've read quite a bit of the forum already,

Will order the 130 jet soon, and shims

Need to look into the o-ring chain... I've got 0 chain experience so my knowledge about master links and chain breakers is not where I want it to be.. I believe the tw is 124 link stock so a 130 link is required and broken down definitely want that on as soon as possible just for ease of maintinence

Want/need to order a cycle racks black rear rack and attach an action packer box to it, along with the manual canisters for fuel storage... Going from a scooter with built in storage to this requires adding storage!

Already trying to figure out if I want a smoke or deep blue jimbo shield. already in contact with him for that... Tough decision since the light cowl is yamaha blue

I really like the looks of the zeta brand hand guards, will end up with those more than likely...

The TCI skid plate is definitely on the to do list

As soon as the Memorial Oil cooler is available, that will be ordered and installed.... What an awesome Person he was.... Unfortunate I missed being able to interact with him while he was here. However I'm lucky enough that his thoughts and ideas are captured on this forum for me to still use and utilize

Just a small wants/needs list... Lol

Go with the opaque Black jimbo shield!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts