TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
That's Nice! I'm not much of a fisherman, but one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen, was when I was wading with a flyrod for stripers at Charlestown Breachway. The sun was sinking in the west and glittering off the water. Tiny silver baitfish were leaping up, out of the water, as the stripers chased the schools. They were like chrome butterflys, flittering around me.
Of course, I'm one of the 90% of fishermen that catch 10% of the fish, so I went home empty-handed again. But definitely richer for that memory.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lt, It was a very memorable evening. I probably caught 20 stripers and a few big blues. That 40" guy is the biggest fish that I have ever caught from the beach. I was using light tackle and he almost spooled me before I got him to turn around.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jim, You live in the striped bass capital. My friends make a trip up there every year. Your season is much earlier than ours so they go there first. One of these years I will make the trip.
That's Nice! I'm not much of a fisherman, but one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen, was when I was wading with a flyrod for stripers at Charlestown Breachway. The sun was sinking in the west and glittering off the water. Tiny silver baitfish were leaping up, out of the water, as the stripers chased the schools. They were like chrome butterflys, flittering around me.
Of course, I'm one of the 90% of fishermen that catch 10% of the fish, so I went home empty-handed again. But definitely richer for that memory.

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
I went in a buddies boat in the LI Sound for blues about a month ago. Most amazing thing I have ever seen while fishing. We were just drifting and saw a very large school of Bunker Bait fish heading right toward our boat. In a flash we were surrounded by what must have been millions of bait fish all around us like a bait ball. A minute later the bait fish began to boil at the top jumping out of the water in a complete frenzy because a school of blues was attacking. We caught 28 big blues that day and my arms were shot from fighting them. Biggest was 21 pounds with most between 16-18 pounds. Anything we tossed into the boiling bait school was hit almost immediately by a big blue. I got to thinking if I fell in at that moment I would have been torn to pieces like a school of Pirana was on the attack. Blues have an impressive set of teeth and can bite a bait fish in half with one chop and the bait fish were all about 10 inches long. We saw these schools of bait all over the sound that day and caught blues every time the water boiled. Had a similar day while fishing for Stripers in the Hudson and the big fish that days was 30 pounds. Not sure I can say which fish is the better fighter but both are mighty considering their size.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Same here Gary we are just a little later than the sound. The blues are pound for pound a better fighter but that big bass was a workout. I just put the bluefish filets in a brine where they will stay for 24 hours. Tomorrow am I will dry them for a few hours before they go in the smoker. I will give my dad and neighbor some of the smoked filets and make smoked fish dip from the rest. The striper will be great just right on the grill tonight.

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
My wife liked the fresh Blue fish that night and I considered dog food! Two days later even my wife could not eat the Blue. Agree on the fight with the 20 pound blue fighting every bit as hard as the 30 pound Bass. The Bass was very tasty when cooked on the grill. I am rather stuck in my ways and my two favorite fish are Trout from fresh cold water and Haddock that are pretty darn hard to catch here unless you go way out. I still have never yet caught a Walleye or tasted one so will hold off on listing them. We do have them in small numbers in a local reservoir that we all rode to the day you were here.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts