TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired my 1995 TW with 16,000 miles (still can't believe it) and I wanted to make it mine and make it stand out from the crowd. I had a little time left in the season to ride it before I put it in my shop to "restore" it.

Photo Oct 14, 12 28 35 PM.jpg
This is what I started with, orange seat and all. I wasted no time in riding it ~170 miles to my cabin without any drama. The thing runs great.

Photo Nov 04, 2 57 28 PM.jpg
I quickly ordered a new seat cover, and a coleman pad.

Photo Nov 24, 11 22 04 PM.jpg
I continued with the modifications. Higher bars, handguards, and a luggage system were next.

Then, being located in Western New York, the cold weather came. This was my sign to start tearing down. I wanted to clean, restore, and change the appearance of nearly every part on the bike (RIP rainbow warrior). I had a few different ideas on what color scheme to go with, but settled on an army-like olive green and black. I used several resources such as yankee preppers videos on youtube and that one "Zombie-Stomper" build.

Photo Dec 16, 5 13 26 PM.jpg
I started with the wheels. Like yankee prepper had done, I used rustoleum truck bed coating. Index cards are helpful in masking off the tires.

Photo Dec 16, 5 54 53 PM.jpg
Next, the forks. I do not want a single part of the bike to be silver, only the green plastics and everything else needs to be black. Here I used the truck bed coating for the lower portion and plastidip for the boots.

The bike is currently being torn down to bare frame in order to paint it BLACK. I plan to check the valve lash, timing chain adjustment, and go through the motor for my own peace of mind, even though it runs like a dream. Both case covers have bad leaks and I have both new gaskets to replace them. I'm looking forward to cured paint on the frame so I can start putting it all back together. Updates to come.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
(continued) I proceeded to remove, clean, and paint all of the plastics on the bike. Anything that was blue would now be olive drab.

Photo Jan 02, 4 59 15 PM.jpg
The paint I used was rustoleum ultra flat camo green, I'm really loyal to rustoleum and I think they have the best spray paints. This paint will bond to plastic and covers extremely well. It even filled some cracks in the front fairing.

Photo Dec 30, 8 21 54 PM.jpg
The tank was stripped down to bare metal with rustoleum aircraft stripper and some heavy grit sandpaper. I applied about 3 coats of rustoleum filler primer to the bare metal.

Photo Jan 02, 4 58 53 PM.jpg
The final result is a very even, flat paint surface. Since the color is flat there is not much sanding or surface prep necessary. I'm really loving the color so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
image.jpeg
Started to paint the frame, the color is Rustoleum "hammered" black. I didn't expect the almost gunmetal color, but I think I'm okay with it.

image.jpeg
I also used Rustoleum high heat paint to cover the exhaust and head pipe which were rusty and ugly. The result is a clean looking flat surface. This paint is meant for rusty grills and the like so it worked very well. Resistant to heat up to 1200 degrees.

All I need to do now is paint the swing arm, and both valve covers and the cylinder head. Then I'm on to reassembly!!!

·
Registered
13,742 Posts
I also used Rustoleum high heat paint to cover the exhaust and head pipe which were rusty and ugly. The result is a clean looking flat surface. This paint is meant for rusty grills and the like so it worked very well. Resistant to heat up to 1200 degrees.
I used this on the header pipe as well. Didn't last. I had wire brushed all the rust off and it still didn't stay on after a couple rides. Next thing I'm gonna try to cover up the header rust is black exhaust wrap.

This paint did last and work well on the muffler and I was very pleased with that, so repainted wasn't a complete waste of time & effort.

Frame and gas tank look good!:icon_thumright:

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
I started with the wheels. Like yankee prepper had done, I used rustoleum truck bed coating. Index cards are helpful in masking off the tires.
Did you have to rebalance the wheels/tires, or was it not thick enough to have to worry about that?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used this on the header pipe as well. Didn't last. I had wire brushed all the rust off and it still didn't stay on after a couple rides. Next thing I'm gonna try to cover up the header rust is black exhaust wrap.

This paint did last and work well on the muffler and I was very pleased with that, so repainted wasn't a complete waste of time & effort.

Frame and gas tank look good!:icon_thumright:
I was thinking about wrapping the head pipe already so maybe I'll do that before I even ride it. Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The olive drab is really eye-catching for me. Do you plan to use a flat clear over the tank, to protect it from fuel?
hmmm... I had not thought of that. I may just try to be very careful and leave it as is. The tank is not very hard to get off the bike if i need to touch it up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quick update, I've finally finished all of the restoration parts of the build, and it's time to start reconstructing the bike. I finished some of the final parts tonight:

image.jpeg
I painted both triple clamps with the same paint used on the case covers and cylinder head. Not necessary to use heatproof paint here but I was just using what I had.

image.jpeg
Swing arm got more of the truck bed liner.

image.jpeg
I replaced both case cover gaskets, painted the case covers themselves with engine component paint in glossy black and the cylinder head. I purchased an Allen head bolt set off eBay for both the reason that it will make it easier to service in the future and also that I striped out two or three of the originals. The crank case remains the original factory grey. Once all of the other components are on there it won't be noticeable.

image.jpeg
I could not resist putting the newly painted fender, tank, and the seat on the frame to see what it looked like. I like.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Your project keeps looking better and better. I thought I could live with a silver swing arm and silver triple clams; maybe not after seeing your project.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks great! I can't wait to see your completed OD TW. Here' is my 1992 in desert sand:

Bike looks awesome! Desert sand was one of the colors I was thinking about doing. I love the military look. Did you do a complete teardown? How did you paint the frame?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Thanks! My bike had been partially restored when I purchased it. The frame, exhaust, and swing arm had already been re-painted (black frame, silver swing arm)

All I did was remove all the body work and paint desert sand. I almost went with OD green, so I am eagerly awaiting for you project to be completed!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks! My bike had been partially restored when I purchased it. The frame, exhaust, and swing arm had already been re-painted (black frame, silver swing arm)

All I did was remove all the body work and paint desert sand. I almost went with OD green, so I am eagerly awaiting for you project to be completed!
Thanks I look forward to it too! One more question: when you painted the plastics and tank did you put a clear coat or any type of coating over the gas tank? Or are you juts very careful when you gas up?

·
Registered
715 Posts
I cleaned all the body work and tank in HOT, almost scalding water with dawn dish soap - scrubbed vigorously.

After they dried, I re-cleaned all body work and tank with non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

No primer, no top coat, just really clean bodywork and desert sand spray paint that bonds to plastic well. The clean, ruffed up body work yielded a good bond, even when the plastic is flexed.

Yes - very careful when filling with fuel. Eventually I'd like to upgrade to the large, plastic fuel tank, so I'm not to worried about fuel spill / occasional touch up.

I even painted the seat with the special sand color automotive vinyl spray paint which work amazing well - my seat cover was brand new - BLUE!

My paint job was approx. $30 and 1 hr labor.

Simple and cheap - just like a TW200!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The bike came back together much faster than it was taken apart, actually. Tonight I put the swing arm on, finished up the wiring, and put the newly bed lined wheels and tires back onto it. Next is just a few odds and ends like an o-ring chain and inline fuel filter. Once again, I could not resist mocking the bike up with the tank and plastics.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I'm so happy with how it came out. Updates to come as I work toward a running complete bike!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts