TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to try a little sledding this year so I bought a mint '96 AC Pantera for $1,000 cdn (about $750 USD) with just 4K miles on it. The sled is loaded and everything works and it's powered by a Suzuki 580 with EFI and from my first trial run around our property it has plenty of go power....way more than the T-Dub could ever muster. Giddy up!!

Pantera_96_580EFI.jpg

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Classic. Do they make those anymore? Very cool.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Classic. Do they make those anymore? Very cool.
Yes Arctic Cat is still making the Pantera but the top of the line model now lists at $19K Cdn!

Will that thing work in Florida sugar sand?:D
I'm not positive but I think it would be a blast to try! LOL

·
Registered
228 Posts
Miaugi….I had no choice...my back was so bad I couldn't ride a snowmobile and I was so slow no one would ride with me anyway.....I looked at Sno Cats but they were very expensive and the used ones were worn out....

I had to have something that was affordable but absolutely dependable and the kids told me about these....the local Honda Dealer was also the dealer for the tracks and they were anxious to put one together and get it out ..now about a half dozen of my neighbors have something similar....I live at a ski area so there is snow from Halloween to Easter....and it is street legal inside the development...

This has just been perfect for what I wanted to do...not fast....about 25mph tops but it never gets stuck...floats right over the snow with such light weight and 4 track drive.....and it is a Honda.....absolutely trouble free.... about 18k out the door and tons of fun...

IMG_9220.jpg

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
My winter ride is a blast with a twist. Actually just a snowmobile without skis and a 13.5 HP B&S motor but a monster towing machine. The Snowdog arrived here in the states last year on the east coast and they still have the authorities stumped. Since you don't ride on it and only get pulled by it and it has no steering gear it is not considered a motor vehicle and does not have a VIN number. I am sure NY will come up with some way to get their pound of tax flesh out of them eventually but at present there is no registration, plates or insurance requirements for them. I have towed 4 sled type pop up shanties loaded with heavy gear and the dog is a small locomotive that will run at around 20 MPH and a lot of fun when not towing a load. It weighs around 300 pounds and with a 21 inch wide track and Ice studs it digs down and pulls what ever I hook behind it with eeze. I only use it on the frozen lakes but it goes great all year long on grass or trails. Anyone who has ever dragged a bunch of gear out on snow covered lakes knows how hard that task can be and here in NY if you have a snowmobile or ATV you have to keep the registered and insured every year and that costs around $400 annually. This toy gets me to parts of the lakes I could only wish to get to on foot power.

IMG_1370.JPG IMG_0686 - Edited (2).jpg

GaryL

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GaryL....that is an interesting tool and the fact that it needs no plate, insurance, etc is a big bonus. I'll have to check to see if these are available north of the 49th!

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
GaryL....that is an interesting tool and the fact that it needs no plate, insurance, etc is a big bonus. I'll have to check to see if these are available north of the 49th!
Pretty sure the distributor and the factory where they are made is in Milwakee, Wi. Go to Snowdog.com and there is a dealer locator on their site. I love the fact the handle bars fold right over it and the sled fits right over the works so it takes a tiny fraction of the storage space when stuffed into a shed or garage in the off season, 2 feet by 5 feet.

GaryL

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pretty sure the distributor and the factory where they are made is in Milwakee, Wi. Go to Snowdog.com and there is a dealer locator on their site. I love the fact the handle bars fold right over it and the sled fits right over the works so it takes a tiny fraction of the storage space when stuffed into a shed or garage in the off season, 2 feet by 5 feet.

GaryL
Hi Gary. Yes I checked it out and they are available in Canada but from what I found they seem to have a 10 hp BS engine in them up here. It seems the list for about $4.6K CDN which would equal around $3.5K US plus 13% in taxes so they are not cheap however I'm sure there is a niche market for them.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Fordson snow machine. 1927??? Sorry I don't know how to link this thing, but if you look up Fordson snow machine you will be tickled. lol

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Hi Gary. Yes I checked it out and they are available in Canada but from what I found they seem to have a 10 hp BS engine in them up here. It seems the list for about $4.6K CDN which would equal around $3.5K US plus 13% in taxes so they are not cheap however I'm sure there is a niche market for them.
I know I can buy a 13.5 HP model with reverse they call the "Standard Model" down here for right around $3400. They do make a compact model I think with the 10HP motor. There is a place here advertising the 13.5 models without reverse but with the sled for $3,000.

GaryL

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fordson snow machine. 1927??? Sorry I don't know how to link this thing, but if you look up Fordson snow machine you will be tickled. lol
I have seen that video before and it is always fun to watch, ......
. However since this never went too far or more of us would know about it there must have been some downsides being either cost, reliability, safety or whatever....but still fun to watch! Thx!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts