TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know why everyone wants a 350 TW! I haven't noticed a performance increase at all
Kidding aside, swapping in an XT350 tank is a very easy and worthwhile modification to extend the range of the TW.

I've had the tank for awhile, but haven't had the time/need to get it installed until now. I pretty much followed Peruano's instructions here for mounting it, although I came up with my own rear mount. I shoved the tank all the way forward on the front mounts. For some reason, even when moving the tank back the rear mount on the tank wasn't parallel with the original mount. So, I bent the flat bar up slightly to match the angle of the tank mount, then cut and welded a short section of square tube underneath to support it. Sorry for the blurry pictures.

The threaded stub for the mount was bolted in place just like Peruano recommended, which keeps it simple and easy.

To allow the seat to match the steeper angle of the XT350 tank I cut the seat base with a pair of tin snips. It cut very easily. I then used my 4" grinder to clearance the ribs that were interfering with the rear tank mount, preventing the seat from moving far enough forward to get the bolts in. Mods to the seat were minimal.

Thanks to Peruano, Mr. Gizmow, lizrdbrth, Ronnydog, and the others who've shared their knowledge and experience about this modification. My first trip out since the addition of the XT350 tank I almost ran it dry by riding 193.9 miles. Totally worth the time and effort. By the way, Peruano suggested checking out the XT350 thread on advrider.com as a source of used tanks. I think that is good advice.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Fair warning: Learn the new tank's limits. The "lay the bike over to the left" trick won't save you the way it will with the stock tank. When these suckers go dry, they're empty.

Don't axe me how I know that...

Nice rear mount.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
The larger tanks sure are nice aren't they. I just completed my longest run on the TW at 118 miles and you did 193 +. I didn't hit reserve on my trip and matter of fact the trip read 148 when I refilled and still not on reserve. XT350 tank might hold just a bit more than my XT600 tank, but either way, nice to know the extra fuel is there.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fair warning: Learn the new tank's limits. The "lay the bike over to the left" trick won't save you the way it will with the stock tank. When these suckers go dry, they're empty.

Don't axe me how I know that...

Nice rear mount.

Thanks. I hope with the extra capacity I won't have to run it dry, but thanks for the heads up. I've learned with recent experience, though, that I have to pay closer attention to mileage when I do my trip planning.

The larger tanks sure are nice aren't they. I just completed my longest run on the TW at 118 miles and you did 193 +. I didn't hit reserve on my trip and matter of fact the trip read 148 when I refilled and still not on reserve. XT350 tank might hold just a bit more than my XT600 tank, but either way, nice to know the extra fuel is there.

Yes, more fuel = peace of mind. With my small tank I would hit the gas station anytime I went for a ride because I didn't want to be limited, or in other words get out somewhere and have to turn around for fear of running out of gas. That's going to be less of an issue now.

Looks good but the colors dont go.

My tank is bigger than yours

It will get painted at some point. Yes, your tank is bigger, and it looks good on your TW, too. I just prefer a metal tank for some reason.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts