TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

i don't know how i haven't heard what is planned for these parks until now, but i haven't. as someone who has enjoyed both of these areas, Bears Ears and Grand Staircase Escalante, for the last 6 years, i have a sinking feeling about what us visitors maybe going to loose. it is all most acceptable and is actually part of the scenery, for us to see the odd oil well scattered amongst the beautiful landscape. if these millions of acres come out of the protected parks, what are we going to look forward to seeing? open pit mining? does anyone know how bad this could become? 443.JPG 474.JPG 456.JPG

i've posted a few pictures of areas we have enjoyed in the Escalante area and i would hate to see heavy haul trucks and paved roads and dust clouds spoiling the views

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
Don't forget that it was primarily the mining industry that created the roads and tracks we try to claim for exclusive recreational purposes today. We are just one of many legal multiple users enjoying public lands.
Look around you, if it wasn't grown it was likely mined.
If not for logging, cattle grazing, and mining road building activities where would you ride your TW off pavement? It has been politically correct to want to condemn these activities recently if you don't live there and count on those industries for employment and to keep your community alive. If one's local ecconomy depends on these industries one then sees things differently. Life pits conservationists against preservationists.

I wouldn't worry too much about the proposed change in land use. Market for coal will unlikely boom anytime soon.
Since the seventies the growing trend is to shift jobs and environmental impact of mineral resource acquisition whenever possible to third world countries anyways. Environmental interest groups in the US typically successfully reign in the rape, ruin and run of historical mining operations, insisting on preserving view corridors, air quality and iconic destinations that often go unchecked overseas.

There, does that stir up the hornet's nest? -spoke from someone who has lived and worked both sides of this decisive issue.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Private industry recently put a Tesla automobile into orbit. I refuse to believe that we can't mine, drill and transport our natural resources safely. Energy independence would open a lot of doors for our economy but I believe we should do it with as minimal a risk to the environment as current technology would allow.

Tom

·
Registered
268 Posts
Private industry recently put a Tesla automobile into orbit. I refuse to believe that we can't mine, drill and transport our natural resources safely. Energy independence would open a lot of doors for our economy but I believe we should do it with as minimal a risk to the environment as current technology would allow.

Thats always been my thought Tom. It can be done responsibly, and should. but out politicians won't hold a mining company or cattle grazer to it. Must be because they are bought and paid or they wouldn't get that consulting job or on the board of directors .And history has shown that individuals or corporations corporations by and large take what they can get than leave the tax payers holding the bag for a superfund site, flat-topped mountains, or land so overgrazed, a praire chicken can't even live on it. Whew, there just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
Sorry if I sounded conservatively pro-industry or anti-environment. My sentiments vary from conservationism to preservationism while in search of realistic solutions. Sometimes we just need to pick up other's messes. liberals.jpg
This roadside photo near Mono Lake caught my eye.;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Anybody ever run Scenic Hwy 12 on their TW? Unfortunately I was in a 30 ft RV, but what an incredible drive. Cheers
Highway 12 is incredible with all the different types of scenery. I road it with my Road King one year. Then a few years later with my Goldwing. (sold now). I would have loved to have the TW200 on those trips for the side roads.

I stayed in Torrey for a couple of days. I took 12 south east in a big counter clockwise loop with stops. About an 8 hours ride back to Torrey UT. For those who haven't ridden all of Highway 12 the scenery changes dramatically throughout the ride. On Butler motorcycle maps they call that road a must ride for The Motorcyclist also calling it a "Journey through Time Highway."

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Fred that beats my 30 ft RV. Only bad weather could ruin that drive. Any of you Cali guys ever ride this route near Yosemite NP? Not as scenic, but massive elevation change and lots of hairpins. The brakes on our rental car had enough by the end as did my wife.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
No worries here. Like religion and politics I guess, hard to talk about for some folks. And I'am the last one able to get up on a high horse, having made my living for the last 35 years in housing, refineries, and nuke plants.
Great sign, good to see anybody picking up trash. Sorry to see libs. getting a toehold in the eastern part of the state of jefferson :)

(Sorry if I sounded conservatively pro-industry or anti-environment. My sentiments vary from conservationism to preservationism while in search of realistic solutions. Sometimes we just need to pick up other's messes.)

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
when on our annual trip to Utah, we are very impressed with the lack of trash on the sides of the roads. when it comes to throwing crap out of the car windows, Americans are way ahead of the people who live in our area. if there is a MacDonalds close by, then there is garbage in the ditch. is it so hard to wait until there get home to through it out?

·
Registered
33 Posts
when on our annual trip to Utah, we are very impressed with the lack of trash on the sides of the roads. when it comes to throwing crap out of the car windows, Americans are way ahead of the people who live in our area. if there is a MacDonalds close by, then there is garbage in the ditch. it is so hard to wait until there get home to through it out.
Was in Oahu Hawaii the October before last and was truly disgusted with the amount of trash everywhere. Seriously could have filled a landfill with the trash just along the freeway. Something I will never forget about that trip.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well, there are all was exceptions. the Indian res east of Bluff Utah was disgusting. but not as bad as the east coast of Mexico.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts