TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide which plastic type Clarke tank I should get for my 2005 (black plastics). Here are my thoughts:

Black

Pros:

- Colour matches (well, close enough)

- Looks like a stock tank

Cons:

- Can't see how much gas is left

- Will get hot in the sun

Natural (translucent)

Pros:

- Can see how much gas is left

- Won't get as hot

- Won't show scratches as much?

Cons:

- Does not look like a stock tank (possibly a Pro for the adventure look!)

- ???

Anyone else have an opinion?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I've always thought the translucent ones were a good idea, but that's me and I'm still rocking the tiny stock metal tank.

josh

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've compiled a few photos:

Good shot of a black 4.1 Gal tank and how the plastics (mis)align:

The other side:

Funny shine on the black tank though (perhaps from many miles of riding?):

How much gas is left? Oh I know:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
This bike looks good. The back fender looks cool too along with the tank and the supermoto fender on the front like mine.

Whose is this?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
918 Posts

Funny shine on the black tank though (perhaps from many miles of riding?):

Funny shine on back of tank is probably from pant leg rubbing against it for 40,000 miles (or however long Spud has had the tank installed). Steel wool dulls it if you want a matte black look.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Get a translucent tank and use the tips here to paint it black.

Leaving a narrow vertical strip near the bottom unpainted for checking low fuel levels.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Translucent tanks can let harmful radiation from the sun through to the gas and can cause the gas to deteriorate.If you use your TW a lot and constantly cycle the gas through the engine, this should not be a problem.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Get the translucent tank, Rit Dye it black and be generous with the dye, and use some sort of blocker to keep a translucent stripe (or get creative with a TW graphic or any graphic) on the side that will still allow you to see the fuel level (I don't know how 'sharp' of a line you could create with the stripe/graphic due to the dye creeping underneath it though but you could experiment)...

This tank,

Was dyed with this process, but you could get more creative to allow a stripe on the side...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=611365&highlight=dying+gas+tank+process+no+paint+required

There are plenty of searchable plastic dying threads on the internet, here are some more with motorcycle parts...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-609552.html

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-727604.html

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Translucent tanks can let harmful radiation from the sun through to the gas and can cause the gas to deteriorate.If you use your TW a lot and constantly cycle the gas through the engine, this should not be a problem.

I guanantee that gas will not be in my tank long enough to degrade

That dye job looks awesome. And it would be really cool to have the Yamaha logo on the side:

·
Registered
264 Posts
I don't really like the look of gas sloshing around in the tank, sorry. The idea of dying the tank and leaving a strip to see the fuel level really sounds neat.

·
Registered
157 Posts
On the JustGasTanks.com website they list the Clarke TW200 gas tank capacity as 2.8gal. The tanks in this thread claim 4.1gal capacity? Are you using the Clarke XT225 tanks? Or the Clarke TW200 tanks? It's hard to justify $200 for a net gain of only 1.0gal over the stock tank but a net gain of 2.3gals over the stock tank would be worth it to me.

If the tanks in this thread are the Clarke XT225 tanks, what fitment issues are involved? How much bike or tank modification is necessary?

·
Registered
918 Posts
On the JustGasTanks.com website they list the Clarke TW200 gas tank capacity as 2.8gal. The tanks in this thread claim 4.1gal capacity? Are you using the Clarke XT225 tanks? Or the Clarke TW200 tanks? It's hard to justify $200 for a net gain of only 1.0gal over the stock tank but a net gain of 2.3gals over the stock tank would be worth it to me.

If the tanks in this thread are the Clarke XT225 tanks, what fitment issues are involved? How much bike or tank modification is necessary?

Yes, the XT225 tanks are being used. There isn't much modification needed to make it work...you'll need to play with the rear mount bracket to get it to sit the way you want (you can use the mount supplied with the Clarke XT225 tank). Then it's aesthetics and how you get your seat to form to the XT tank...some cut reliefs in the seat pan to allow it to bend up on the XT tank easier, but when I had mine I forced the seat on it without the relief cuts and after a month of riding and sitting in the summer sun it had formed itself pretty well to the XT angle and the wrinkles in the seat (from the extra bending) were gone...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes, the XT225 tanks are being used. There isn't much modification needed to make it work...you'll need to play with the rear mount bracket to get it to sit the way you want (you can use the mount supplied with the Clarke XT225 tank). Then it's aesthetics and how you get your seat to form to the XT tank...some cut reliefs in the seat pan to allow it to bend up on the XT tank easier, but when I had mine I forced the seat on it without the relief cuts and after a month of riding and sitting in the summer sun it had formed itself pretty well to the XT angle and the wrinkles in the seat (from the extra bending) were gone...

Thanks for the reply.

I've read that there is an issue with the bottom of the tank (eventually sagging) resting on the cylinder head? Has this been an issue for you? If is, any fix for this?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I've read that there is an issue with the bottom of the tank (eventually sagging) resting on the cylinder head? Has this been an issue for you? If is, any fix for this?

That's where you have to play with the rear bracket to setup the clearance (adding a spacer or stacked washers can raise the back of the tank up to help provide the clearance at the head; as well as relocating the bracket mounting holes to help move the tank up). It's tight for sure, but I never had an issue with it. I never experienced sagging over time, just get the clearance set when you first set it up. I sold my tank to member xdac on here (I sold my bike, that's why I sold the tank).

·
Registered
918 Posts
Im playing around with a new mounting set up..maybe ill take a few pictures and post them up in a new topic.

Gonna cut offset "donuts" that hold the front of the tank up more? If so, they'd need to be oblong/rectangular/square rather than round as offset round ones could roll (possibly from vibration while riding) creating different heights from left to right.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts