TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
286 Posts
Garmin Montana

I use 680t with Touratech locking handlebar mount.
Product Mobile phone Gadget Communication Device Camera accessory

Automotive lighting Camera accessory Machine Auto part Automotive wheel system

And I back this up with Gaia on my iPhone, and paper maps.

· Registered
1999 TW-200
301 Posts
Garmin Zumo here because I like a larger screen than a handheld or a phone. It's also made for wet and vibration. The new Zumo is the XT...check it out.

· Registered
2022 TW 200
20 Posts
Communication Device Telephony Rectangle Gadget Portable communications device

Garmin eTrex 20 (current version is eTrex 22X). A drawback to the small (2.2 in.) screen is that when you zoom out to a view of 500m or more you lose details. Otherwise, an economical GPS with excellent battery life.

· Registered
263 Posts
View attachment 231864

Garmin eTrex 20 (current version is eTrex 22X). A drawback to the small (2.2 in.) screen is that when you zoom out to a view of 500m or more you lose details. Otherwise, an economical GPS with excellent battery life.
I have an eTrex from 1999 or so. Still works, but no maps, just tracks, elevation, compass. I want a Montana, but the price is insane.

· Registered
1,006 Posts
An old pixel 3 cell phone with Gaia, DMD2, Avenza, Beeline, MapsMe, Alltrails, CalTopo, GuruMaps, Backcountry Explorer, and Trailfirks on it. With lots of available maps to use on different platforms.

I mostly use Gaia, DMD2, and Avenza.

Thousands of kms on a RAM mount, and I broke the RAM mount ball from vibration on my last 1,400 km logging road trip on the island.

Can't see any good reason to support Garmin. Been burnt by them enough with marine navigation planned obsolescence and charting costs.

If I had unlimited funds or if I were RTW riding, I'd get a Thork Racing Carpe-Iter Pad with handlebar controls and run DMD2 on it.

Check it out.

Reactions: Snapper33

· Registered
1,006 Posts
That Thork looks perfect but not even available in US
Sure they are. I've seen them. Just pay in Euros and ships from Portugal.

You can always download DMD2 to any Android device. It's a great app. The handlebar buttons are Bluetooth and work surprisingly well.

Reactions: Snapper33

· Premium Member
286 Posts
That Thork looks perfect but not even available in US
You can get it shipped to US

[EDIT] woops, NorthernSpy already addressed this

· Registered
22 BMW G310GS, 2018 Van Van,
947 Posts
I may ride a modern bike, but still stuck with paper GPS. No wiring required. Never loses signal 100% dependable. I tried to use a GPS but I’m too easily distracted and near crashed by not looking at road but at GPS. Does require a bit of knowhow, I‘m fortunate I used to be a Wilderness Ranger and trained in orientering with the rotzi’s in school. So clearly a simpleton can do it. Not for everyone but still viable option. Not sure it’s cheaper as maps not cheap but I’d bet lighter. I do use Google earth etc to research n check closures.

· Registered
103 Posts
Whether it’s in the air, on land or at sea I prefer electronic and paper. The source(s) of either is candidly not a major significance in difference as there are so many excellent choices right now. As I have a different budget for each the manner that I travel I don’t think I could say (while keeping a straight face) that any one of them is better than another and worthy of me referring to them by brand. The best advice I’ve been given is buy the best you can afford. Electronic or paper sources.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts