TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I watched the two part documentary on Fox about Robert O Neill former Navy Seal who claims he fired the lethal shots that killed Osama Bin Laden. In my opinion by writing a book and broadcasting his story around the world was completely self serving. He broke creed of the Seals Code of Conduct. I believe his actions put future missions and lives in jeopardy. Not to
mention his family's safety. Robert and his family will always have to look over their shoulds. I would never put my family in that much danger. I learned in the Service that there is certain classified information that you take to your grave.
rick

·
Registered
6,367 Posts

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I watched the two part documentary on Fox about Robert O Neill former Navy Seal who claims he fired the lethal shots that killed Osama Bin Laden. In my opinion by writing a book and broadcasting his story around the world was completely self serving. He broke creed of the Seals Code of Conduct. I believe his actions put future missions and lives in jeopardy. Not to
mention his family's safety. Robert and his family will always have to look over their shoulds. I would never put my family in that much danger. I learned in the Service that there is certain classified information that you take to your grave.
rick
Who died and made you judge?

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whole thing is a farce. "Mark Owen" (who is actually Matt Bissonnette) is suing his lawyers. You can read the actual complaint here. Owen v. Podlaski et al :: New York Southern District Court :: Case No. 1:14-cv-08810, Judge Jesse M. Furman presiding

O'Neill claims he shot Osama, other team members say he did not.
I wasn't able to open up the Case I guess I need an account. This sounds like its going to get ugly. A good example why covert ops need to remain secret. I bet the Brass is spitting nails.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
That's odd. I just clicked the link right here in the thread, went right to the page. I then clicked the adobe file, it saved as pdf and opened right up. I don't have an account. Not sure why you can't access it.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That's odd. I just clicked the link right here in the thread, went right to the page. I then clicked the adobe file, it saved as pdf and opened right up. I don't have an account. Not sure why you can't access it.
I didn't see the adobe file on the left side

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
I completely respect Oneils decision to tell his story. Will let the fights go to the courts and don't much give a crap who is telling the truth. UBL is dead and Seal Team6 took care of that. Every member fired the killing shot as far as I am concerned and none could have done it without the others.

I don't believe any classified info that had not already been outed was outed by ONeil. You have to know that a lot of people were directly involved in this and it will all come out sooner or later. There is no such thing as secrets when the story reaches these heights. It would not surprise me at all if Zero himself tries to make millions off this story!

Lastly, you can bet your ass that FOX news has fully vetted this story and would never have aired it if they had any doubts!

GaryL

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I completely respect Oneils decision to tell his story. Will let the fights go to the courts and don't much give a crap who is telling the truth. UBL is dead and Seal Team6 took care of that. Every member fired the killing shot as far as I am concerned and none could have done it without the others.

I don't believe any classified info that had not already been outed was outed by ONeil. You have to know that a lot of people were directly involved in this and it will all come out sooner or later. There is no such thing as secrets when the story reaches these heights. It would not surprise me at all if Zero himself tries to make millions off this story!

Lastly, you can bet your ass that FOX news has fully vetted this story and would never have aired it if they had any doubts!

GaryL
IMO by the shear fact that O'Neill exposed himself gives the enemy a starting point to expose other Seals. We all have a circle of friends and coworkers. With today's internet hacking and an enemy that is invisibly intertwined in out lives. I don't think it would take long to expose other Seals and their families. I hope and pray I'm wrong. I'm sure Al-Qaeda has their own 10 Most Wanted and I wouldn't want myself or family to be in the lime light of such a dangerous group. A group that has such a hatred for Americans that they cut their heads off and post it on the internet.
Try this as an exercise. With a pen draw a small target on the top of your hand to remind yourself that you a target to Al-Qaeda . Now spend your day in public pretending that you are a target to Al-Qaeda . It would make a person a nervous wreck, now think about your entire family being targets for the rest of their lives. The Navy Seals need to stay invisible.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Being a Navy Seal is by no means a secret. Every small town in the USA that has a service member who made the grade to any military Special Ops team knows who that resident is and are very proud of every one of them. I will agree that ONeil has a much higher price on his head but this stuff just won't remain a secret for very long any way. The Muslims hate all of us, soldiers, cops, and all non Muslim men, woman and children so trying to hide and being afraid is not an option. I much prefer going through life prepared as best as I can be and don't waste much time living in fear of an unknown enemy who could be anyone these days.

I do not share your nervous wreck defeatist attitude and never will. Having served in the USN during Vietnam and retiring after 27 years in the NY Prison system not much does scare me and my attitude goes more toward Bring It On. Some of us are more than happy to engage this enemy so that could be your first clue as to why some of us don't often agree.

BTW, a Navy Seal is not an individual to mess with or piss off and Muhammed better come well prepared.

GaryL

·
Registered
63 Posts
GaryL,

I too, another survivor of CDC MAX/SHU whom did not fair to well in later life. Thought I could cut the mustard and discovered over time the mustard quickly became the element that smoothered my life force down to shit in a hand basket.

Regards the current thread? Such hot topic was sure to break soon anyway as I understand it. Being somewhat apart of a small simular organization not having such fame does bring on certain consternation within the soul. Becoming older, our tough guy wears very thin as suddenly we become aware our skin thins, cuts go deeper, the pain becomes more painful, the bullshit detector, the invisable lead wall I once conciously raised whenever whatever level it needed to be. Became broken down, as it was in history, such mankind always follows the wake such violent paths end.

Seems we have become a Nation world of covert (unseen) conflict as political correctness rules the free world. Behold, a world we live cannot ever know the actual score such battlefields incure.

Sorry, my meandering again.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Ok, I been listening. Now I'm weighing in. Classified is classified gentlemen. When you engage in classified activities you are expected to follow the rules, and I assure you there are rules, regarding the "cover" of those activities. If you don't abide the rules, then quite frankly you don't do your job well. Mouth shut is part of the job. We don't draft people anymore. We don't push people into any particular SF branch. If you want to swim in one of those pools then you are expected to toe the line, follow the rules, keep your mouth shut. If you can't do that then you don't have any business in the trade. It is very simple. It isn't about "speaking the truth". it isn't about the "people's right to know", those things don't even factor in. It's about doing the job in a workman like fashion and doing it the way it was mean't to be done. Rant over.

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Well said Borneo. " Classified is classified"
As a civilian I would like to know the details but absolutely believe that I should not be given those details. I always worry that our media is giving away too much operational info. Dissemination is a valuable tool, but security leaks are something else.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
I have yet to hear any mention of any classified information ONeil has given away that had not already been outed! Keep in mind there are already books in print and others who claim to have fired the killing shots not to mention exposing the entire operation and how it went down.

I would agree with Borneo that classified is classified but once that cat gets out of the cage the classification becomes a moot point. This kind of seems like a race to get the story told and the first one to tell it thinks he wins. The story itself is cool but I would rather know the real story than some made up BS tale told by other team members looking to cash in and willing to make up their own facts.

Sure, if the entire mission was classified top secret and sealed then it should never cross the lips of anyone sworn to such secrecy. This one has a lot of exposure from a lot of people as well as politicians who can't stay quiet and who have been dribbling out bits and pieces over the past 4 years. Not many secrets left at this point.

loose lips sink ships but once the genie is out of the bottle it can't get put back in.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well said Borneo. " Classified is classified"
As a civilian I would like to know the details but absolutely believe that I should not be given those details. I always worry that our media is giving away too much operational info. Dissemination is a valuable tool, but security leaks are something else.
Fred
Your right about security leaks being something else. I am discussed with our news organizations printing everything they hear. Some of these leaks are so damaging to the USA and yet they print them. Greed over National Security, there getting people killed. It's Treason!

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
The news agencies have a right to print. It is a deeper problem. Too many people are read in to covert operations these days. Politicians simply cannot be trusted with sensitive information, they have proved it time and time again. And sadly some operators do not appear to have the same level of professionalism, which includes complete confidentiality, these days as they once did.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts