TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,
In our recent purchase of our ‘07 T-dub, only one key was supplied. The bonehead previous owners, list the second key and the tool kit, the owners manual, and other stuff. So, I’ve tried multiple hardware stores, Home Depot, Lowe’s, and even at least one lock and key shop and, it’s a NO-GO! My key, which I assume, is like all of yours, does have a Yamaha key number on it. I’ve been avoiding going directly to Yamaha because I figured I’d have to sell my first born to be able to afford it. But, based on preliminary findings, it appears Yamaha IS the only place to get a second key. If I have to, I’ll go there but, in the meantime, any ideas?
Scott

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
You have to find a blank. I had a couple cut at a locksmith who had a blank in stock. You usually can buy a blank from a dealer, then take it to a key cutter. Good luck.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Fire Up, I do not believe Yamaha is the only source for keys. When I got my bike it came with a backup set. They are marked as "ilco" brand. The ignition key is marked X117 and YH48. The gas cap key is marked X120 and YH46. Both are marked as made is USA. Hope that might help you out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey gang,
In our recent purchase of our ‘07 T-dub, only one key was supplied. The bonehead previous owners, list the second key and the tool kit, the owners manual, and other stuff. So, I’ve tried multiple hardware stores, Home Depot, Lowe’s, and even at least one lock and key shop and, it’s a NO-GO! My key, which I assume, is like all of yours, does have a Yamaha key number on it. I’ve been avoiding going directly to Yamaha because I figured I’d have to sell my first born to be able to afford it. But, based on preliminary findings, it appears Yamaha IS the only place to get a second key. If I have to, I’ll go there but, in the meantime, any ideas?
Scott
I used EBAY. Give them the key # and they cut and ship it to you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Motorcycle-keys-Cut-by-Code-Replacement-key-pre-cut-to-your-code/273364670149?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=57475&meid=e326e356787442c2acf292cb42989400&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=12&sd=390390401054&itm=273364670149&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
“Curtis”?
Scott

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also had only one key for my 2007.
I called a few Ace Hardware stores a few weeks ago and found one that had a blank two-sider that they thought might work. Took my key and was able to get two for $6 and both work just fine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I took my lock cylinder out and went to a local locksmith and he cut me a new one after I lost the solo key mine came with. (Of course, I found it a bit later on.)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've always been able to get keys made at a local locksmith. I've had it done for all four major Japanese bikes and even the tubular Harley keys. The blank was like $2 and they charge maybe $5 to cut it. In and out in 5 minutes.

Unless you insist on having the key say "YAMAHA" on it, absolutely no difference. It used to be common for dealers to stock key blanks and a cutting machine and do it for a few bucks but in my experience this is getting increasingly rare. They'll give you a whole spiel about you have to prove ownership, have the key code, the vin, last four of your social, your mother's maiden name, ect, then they can ORDER a pre-cut key for you that costs as much as a used Hyundai and will arrive in 4 to 6 weeks. Mmkay?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
You can always buy a used ignition switch -- one that comes with two keys -- on Ebay...hah. Probably not the answer you're looking for, but hey, technically that is an option. I think I had a copy made one time though, and it wasn't expensive IIRC.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hey gang,
Scott
Ride the bike to your nearest dealer and ask them how much for a spare key

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ride the bike to your nearest dealer and ask them how much for a spare key

Well, I didn't RIDE to one but, I called the closest one and, they gave me a phone number for the local lock and key service they use. So much for that Yamaha dealer. So, I tried a local True Value Hardware. They had, in their key making corner, a couple of boxes of blanks. Some said Honda, some Suzuki and some, YAMAHA. So, one of the employees dug around in that little box and came up with a very, very close blank to my key. He then proceeded to do surgery on that blank, based on mine clamped next door. Well, he did the best he could but, it would not turn on my ignition. So, I looked at that new, non-working key and it was very, very close to the cuts in my key. I paid them and, rode back to our campsite.
I got out what tools I had, including a Dremel and, went to work making every so slight adjustments. Well, after about 10-15 minutes of very detailed filing and wire brushing, I finally got that newly cut key to work. It turns on the ignition but, it will not open the helmet lock. No biggie.

I've got a second key now, not a good one but, never the less, a second key that works the ignition. I think I'll get a hold of one of those boys on ebay and send him my key code number. They pretty much guaranty a working result. We'll see when we get back home. Thanks for all who've helped here. Very much appreciated.
Scott

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
you can find blanks on ebay, but make sure you figure out which one fits your key. there are 4 types, mirror images of each other, and won't fit the other types.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The local Yamaha dealer wanted to order me a new lock with two keys for $128.... I passed... However, the local ACE hardware store made me a couple for $2 each...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Soundslikeahassle.Justusethecodeonthekeyandpay$11forittobecutandshippedonebay.
Well, as you can read in some of the earlier posts to this thread, some have no issue and pick up an extra key in no time, in various ways. I myself, have just had a bit of bad luck in actually locating a blank, 'till just yesterday, at a local True Value Hardware store near where we're camping. And yes, it's pretty much a dead ringer blank. It's just that the person doing the work seamed to be, well, just not that good at making keys. I had to putz with it for a good 20 minutes to a half hour and, yes, I got it to work, in the ignition only. It will not lock the steering, or, unlock the helmet holder. So, when we return home from our trip we're on, I'll contact that one vendor on ebay and send him/them my key code.
Scott

1 - 20 of 22 Posts