TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(This seemed like the right place for “riding gear” questions, but if not feel free to move it)

I found a rare brand new LS2 EE394 EPIC modular SNELL M2010 certified helmet that I grabbed, because it is the only SNELL approved modular helmet available that I know of. They only came in XL & XXL, and you can get any color you want as long as it is black. They tend to run at least one/two sizes larger than most helmets (I wear normally wear an XL and my brother wears a L, but the XXL fits both of us just fine). The main reason I bought this helmet was so I could do Auto-X and motorcycle riding with one helmet, plus its’ modular design.

I’ve always liked open face helmets or no helmet at all. Safety aside, the TW200 is much more fun without a helmet with wind in your face; especially at low speeds. I know… safety, safety, safety! Please understand I went from motorcycle racing at a young age, to ATC’s and Sandrails only used in the dunes. I was one of those trend setters that stuffed Yamaha 350RD Twin 2-stroke engines into a ATC style frame before they even had shocks on them.

Yamaha spotted that trend and the Banshee was eventually born. Never wore a helmet on that or in my Sandrails in the 1970’s. Rarely wore a shirt or shoes either.

There’s something about the feeling of freedom with wind in your face and your hair in the wind (if you still have any for mother nature to tease) that nothing else seems to match. Of course the soft sand is a more forgiving environment than most.

The reason I bring this up is when I ride my TW200 up and down the street testing out updates, I have that feeling. But when I put on my modular helmet that all goes away; I get instant “hot head” and feel confined. I need a helmet that is very light, extremely cool and white to reflect the suns heat here in SoCal that you don’t even know you are wearing. I’m open to full-face or open-face. Unfortunately being out of the sport for so long, I’m not up to date with current helmet-nomics. What do you recommend?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Why is it that nobody offers a good chrome colored helmet? I had one years ago but it was ate up in a crash. it did the job though.
I liked it because it was super visible and didn't heat up in the sun. The only chrome ones I see now are those stupid beanies the the gay pirate crowd wears
in helmet required states. A good 3/4 or full helmet in chrome would be my choice.

·
Registered
807 Posts
The smallest shell, lightest (1.8 pounds) most comfortable helmet Ive ever had is my 3/4 Licks NovDot. Unfortunately they only come in black or gray, but you could paint it or have it painted. Both my girlfriend and I are wearing one in my sig pic, blow it up to see it closer.

Licks NovDot - Matte Black

When I use it on the TW I got a cheap 3 snap visor for it. Instant retro dirt bike helmet :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why is it that nobody offers a good chrome colored helmet? I had one years ago but it was ate up in a crash. it did the job though.
I liked it because it was super visible and didn't heat up in the sun. The only chrome ones I see now are those stupid beanies the the gay pirate crowd wears
in helmet required states. A good 3/4 or full helmet in chrome would be my choice.
Interesting about the chrome reflecting heat. Certainly makes sense. That never crossed my radar...

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please keep them coming!

Also, what helemt do you use? Why did you buy it? Has it met your expections?

·
Registered
821 Posts
If your just after meeting legal requirements then there are a multitude of little helmets that I doubt
you know you have on, I've only seen black, but heck if it's just "for show" spray paint it white or chrome.
They are cheap too.....Even ones that look like Nazi SS available if that's what your into.
If however you wish to save your face and brain in case of falling down there great snell/dot full face helmets
out there designed for ATV/motocross use. I happen to have a Bell Moto, flows lots of air, great visibility and it's very light.
Smacking your noggin on asphalt even at a standstill can break it and change your whole game plan. Trying out modifycations
might command the best in protection eh? There used to be a ad "If you have a cheap head, buy a cheap helmet"

·
Registered
807 Posts
Here's one I've been looking at. Don't own it so I really can't comment. I do like the retractile eye shield.

https://www.chromeburner.com/cruiser/helmets/diesel-hi-jack-mica-blue-white-sk-y
Diesels are nice, good quality too. The only complaint Ive heard from them is they are noisy. I was wanting the black/green to go with my Air Force sporty.

There used to be a ad "If you have a cheap head, buy a cheap helmet"
I never liked that saying. How much was your helmet? 500 bucks? 800 bucks? My heads worth more than that, I would need to buy a 16 brazillion dollar helmet :)

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Need a light, cool and available in white helmet that doesn’t give me “hot head!”
What do you recommend?
The best I have found for lightness and excellent ventilation is the Fly Racing F2 Carbon, in the all white color. Five years later I still think it's the best. I have a Shoei Modular for the Beemer because of the much higher speeds and noise, but when it gets really hot, like above 90, I wear the Fly and use earplugs. Of course, it is not an open face, but after my accident I will never wear anything but a full face helmet. It has very good peripheral visibility and so much flow you almost don't feel like it is a full face......definitely not the case with the Shoei, which I raise whenever below 30mph. F2 Carbon Solid White Helmet | FLY Racing | Professional grade Motocross, BMX, MTB, Offroad, ATV, Snowmobile, and Watercraft apparel and hard parts
Sheesh, the price sure has went up! I paid about $230 five years ago. Shop around, it's hard to find the all white version. a couple of the white/black versions are nearly as cool. https://s6d7g2d4.ssl.hwcdn.net/601209_Matte_White-Black.gif

I put a goggle Quick Strap on it a few years back because I like to be able to have them on and off quickly with a single movement. I hope they keep making the F2 because I wouldn't even look at another dirtbike helmet, this one is so good.

Roko Goggle Quick Strap - In stock NOW! Shop Roko Today

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The best I have found for lightness and excellent ventilation is the Fly Racing F2 Carbon, in the all white color. Five years later I still think it's the best. I have a Shoei Modular for the Beemer because of the much higher speeds and noise, but when it gets really hot, like above 90, I wear the Fly and use earplugs. Of course, it is not an open face, but after my accident I will never wear anything but a full face helmet. It has very good peripheral visibility and so much flow you almost don't feel like it is a full face......definitely not the case with the Shoei, which I raise whenever below 30mph. F2 Carbon Solid White Helmet | FLY Racing | Professional grade Motocross, BMX, MTB, Offroad, ATV, Snowmobile, and Watercraft apparel and hard parts
Sheesh, the price sure has went up! I paid about $230 five years ago. Shop around, it's hard to find the all white version. a couple of the white/black versions are nearly as cool. https://s6d7g2d4.ssl.hwcdn.net/601209_Matte_White-Black.gif

I put a goggle Quick Strap on it a few years back because I like to be able to have them on and off quickly with a single movement. I hope they keep making the F2 because I wouldn't even look at another dirtbike helmet, this one is so good.

Roko Goggle Quick Strap - In stock NOW! Shop Roko Today
•SNELL M2010, DOT Approved For USA — other standards include: ECE and AS (Australian). Meets or exceeds the toughest safety standards on the market
•Multi-port Air Induction Cooling System – eleven (11) intake and four (4) exhaust vents create massive airflow to keep your head cool
•Tri-vent Goggle Anti-fog Vents – three (3) air intake vents above goggle eye port draw air from goggle to help clear away fog
•Flow Through EPS And Comfort Liner Air System – EPS (Expanded Polystyrene) and comfort liner align to maximize airflow

Now that's sounds like the ventilation king!

I like this one it's available in white and chrome. AFX FX-39 Dual Sport Helmet - RevZilla
That is certainly reasonably priced.

If you can live with a full face i can vouch for the Arai XD4. It vents very well and it comes in white and is snell 2015 certified if that's important to you....
Very nice helmet, but on the pricey side.

I like the retro style 3/4 helmets like the Bell 500 for putting around. The Bell Custom 500 RSCheckered is always a good looker and the Licks NovDot at only 1.85lbs. WOW!

I just might have to get an open face AND a well ventilated full face for serious off-road hardcore riding in additiona to my current modular that will make a wonderful cold weather helmet. Funny how you always need the right tool for the job.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can get the ICON variant "Construct". Its "white" aka fiberglass and resin finish. I Have the ghost carbon variant and even on a hot sunny day its awesome! Super well ventilated and great vision. On the downside all that air going though the helmet is a little noisy and the big nose on er grabs the wind at 50 mph plus when you shoulder check.

All in all though if you dont need goggles and arent riding super fast I love it. Comfy and lots of ventilation with great vision. Little heavier then some lids, lighter then others. Havent had any neck issues on my spindly neck.

I love my ghost carbon and the yellow lens is nice some days and nights. But the finish is a soft finish and hanging it on my bars if the lid pinches between the brake and the bar itll give little marks on the outer shell. Hopefully itll look pretty for a few more years before it becomes a basher. The Construct uses a hard resin for the finish so Id like to think it would be way more life friendly.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I tried on the Fly Racing F2 Carbon today at my local helmet shop, along with a bunch of others. It is very light and fits well. Tons of vents. My biggest concern is if the vents might whistle? I had a helmet once that whsitled and it drove me crazy. If anyone has experience with this helmet and can tell me if it makes any odd noises like whistling, please let me know. I see them for $230+ on eBay and even a few new, but slgiht nicks or scratches for $179+.

ADDED: RevZilla doesn't think this helemt is loud on their scale. That's good.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I am no expert but I recently bought a Bell mx9 Adventure helmet in white and it feels way lighter than my other two helmets. I have only worn it a handful of times because there is too much airflow for my liking until the weather warms up. Just for reference, my other two helmets are both modular, one is an HJC and the other is a Schuberth.
I will likely be wearing the Bell a lot this summer.

Bell MX-9 Adventure Helmet - RevZilla

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I am no expert but I recently bought a Bell mx9 Adventure helmet in white and it feels way lighter than my other two helmets. I have only worn it a handful of times because there is too much airflow for my liking until the weather warms up. Just for reference, my other two helmets are both modular, one is an HJC and the other is a Schuberth.
I will likely be wearing the Bell a lot this summer.

Bell MX-9 Adventure Helmet - RevZilla
Nice look! Can you wear goggles with the face shield up on these adventure style helmets? (YES - Watched video)

Also, does this one "whistle" when you put the visor up? How many visor "clicks?" Thanks.

ADDED: RevZilla has this one as heavier than the Fly F2 Carbon and louder, plus no SNELL 2010/2015 (unless I missed it). None a deal killer.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Little Brute this is a pic of my sandrail/bushbuggy from 30 years ago. I wore an open face helmet and hit a ditch dug across the road at about 50 mph.. broke my forehead, nose, cheek bone and jaw on the roll cage. Almost died in the bush that day. I'm a full face helmet kinda guy now. scan0002.jpg

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Oh I should add that in the pic above I am wearing a full face helmet... that is after my first accident but before my second accident when I had a full face helmet and racing harnesses.... a window net might have prevented my arm from going under the roll cage while rolling the buggy and saved me a broken arm and dislocated shoulder. Thank god I ride motorcycles now...lol

·
Registered
814 Posts
I just picked up a Shoei RF1200. DOT and SNELL. White. I don't think it breaths enough for what you want. The higher end racing stuff lets more air through than the RF1200, which is made to be quiet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts