TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my TW, I really do, but.....

I'd really like to have a bike that can comfortably go 75 mph on the highway without buzzing my arms numb.

Here's my criteria:

Low seat height (32" or less)
Fairly upright seating position
500 cc or more

I've looked at:

Yamaha SCR950 (nice, but too heavy)
Yamaha FZ-07 (it's okay)
Honda Rebel 500 (not really my cup of tea)

It seems the more bikes I look at, the more I like my TW. I sure wish it was a TW600.

What other bikes should I look at given my criteria?

Thanks for your input!

Dave

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
What style bikes are you looking at? What style do you like the most?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Ah, the low seat height. I feel that. I suggest the CB500 family of the R, F and X. Also, the Triumph Tiger XRX LRH (low ride height).

·
Registered
118 Posts
For models to look at to fill those parameters my recommendations are easy, a 2017 H/D Softail Slim with it's 110 cubic inch Screamin Eagle engine and 25 1/5" seat height or a sweet Runnin' cruiser like my 2014 - 900 cc Triumph America will meet your requirements. Easily with nearly 50 mph to spare... ;)

excalibur
See my signature.... there is no such things as too many bikes.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
The low seat height pretty much excludes everythin except: small bikes that won't to do 75 comfortably and Harleys.

Get something else and lower it. You know you're just going to modify anything you get anyway, why not get what you want and make it fit your criteria after.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I've got the TW for the woods and bombing around on back roads and a Victory (1732cc) for comfortable interstate travel.....best of both worlds!

Unfortunately there is no magic motorcycle that will be good off road and good on the freeway - imo
don't let the Aussies hear you say that, they love the bush pig

·
Registered
105 Posts
I love my TW, I really do, but.....

I'd really like to have a bike that can comfortably go 75 mph on the highway without buzzing my arms numb.

Here's my criteria:

Low seat height (32" or less)
Fairly upright seating position
500 cc or more

I've looked at:

Yamaha SCR950 (nice, but too heavy)
Yamaha FZ-07 (it's okay)
Honda Rebel 500 (not really my cup of tea)

It seems the more bikes I look at, the more I like my TW. I sure wish it was a TW600.

What other bikes should I look at given my criteria?

Thanks for your input!

Dave
If you're just wanting a Dual sport that can do freeway speeds. A DR650, KLR and the like will have no problems doing what you ask.
I have a TW, DR and a Honda NC700X and they all fill a purpose.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Get a DR650SE. The other bikes mentioned just have to much plastic to break and one has radiator sticking out the right side just waiting to get knocked off.
You can drop height yourself, just dont care for the 'easy' way to do.
Really need to do it the way Suzuki states in manual.

Oh, and highway... 91.3 mph no problem.
Those other guys must be peddling theirs.

Have a 6.6 gal tank, 250 miles before switching to reserve.
Miss that on the TW.

DR : drop it, pick it up, and continue.
don't have to pickup plastic faring parts off the ground and tape them back on.

49,000 miles. Only reason its broke, the mag tip in the drain plug came out and got back in the transmission.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I know where you are coming from Dave-o. I love my TW but if I want to cruise any distance at all I need something comfortable at 70 mph. So far I test rode a Honda CB500X. That is a nice bike - seating arrangement feels just like my TW. Smooth and powerful - I'm almost there, but I think I need to try a few more bikes.

·
Registered
912 Posts
My son and I picked up a 1994 DR350 for real cheap. A bit of work and I am VERY impressed. Now, I am looking at the DR-Z400S.

The old DRs can be hard to start. Get one with electric start, if you buy used. If you must buy a kick start only bike, make sure the case is not cracked under the kicker. Some guys resort to the "jump on it" kick method.

DR600? Too much motor for me.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
My son and I picked up a 1994 DR350 for real cheap. A bit of work and I am VERY impressed. Now, I am looking at the DR-Z400S.

The old DRs can be hard to start. Get one with electric start, if you buy used. If you must buy a kick start only bike, make sure the case is not cracked under the kicker. Some guys resort to the "jump on it" kick method.

DR600? Too much motor for me.
I just picked up this 1996 DR350SE today. I had been waiting for a nice electric start one to turn to up. It's a pretty peppy bike - over twice the horsepower of a TW and only weighs about 10 pounds more. Also comes stock with a 6th gear.

IMG_0278.JPG

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Ooooh. That is a nice one! I've been looking for a good one for years! That's a winner congrats Brian!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts