TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Need advice getting a used TW 200

6K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  Boret 
#1 ·
Hi there!

I am new to the forum. I've been reading through the different posts and found a lot of valuable information.

However, I am a bit confused as to which way to go with purchasing a used TW200.

Right now there are 2 sales I am interested in. In one hand there is a 1987 with 2,000 miles for $1,000, in the other a 1990 with 12,500 miles for $1,200 with a set of extra tires (tires and rims), one set DOT knobby, the other set enduro.

From the info I've gathered here, the 87s had electrical problems and lower electric output. Also, a bike from 87 with only 2,000 miles has hardly been riden, so I might have to deal with rust in the tank, an other issues typical of 20+ years old bikes. As far as the 90 I have also read in here that it might be necessary to rebuild the engine after 10k miles (depending on how well the bike has been taken care of - which I have no way of telling). I am personally more incline towards the 90 because I believe that the miles actually represent actual usage, therefore the bike might have not been sitting idle too long. I also like the color scheme better on the 90. But an engine rebuild sounds like more work that I can personally handle with my somewhat limited mechanical skills.

I am sure that I can make reasonable offers to both sellers, as both are price above NADA values.

As a third option, there is a 2008 with 700 miles with new hand guards and new O-Ring chain for $3000 (Seller is firm on the price)

I already have 3 bikes. A DL1000 VStrom as my Touring 2up bike, an R6 for a bit of fun in the twisties and a 99 R6 Track/Race Ready for fun at the track.

I've been meaning to add a motorcross / dirt road bike to the stable and the TW200 seems the right piece of equipment. But when I see the price in the 3k range I start looking elsewhere, as you can get, for example, a 2002 and up used Suzuki DRZ400 liquid cool bike for less than $3k.

I understand that 2001+ have front disk break, chain adjuster, electric start. But if everything else is equal I can save $2,000 going with pre 2001 models.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Boret

See less See more
#2 ·
I recently looked at an 89 with 1700 miles for $1,100 and passed on it. The bike was in surprisingly good condition but there were several little things wrong with it, none of them deal killers but all added up, if I were to fix everything I probably would have spent $300 or so in parts and several hours of my time. Perhaps what finally made we walk away was the original tires, while there was no apparent rot, old tires are just that, old tires and the thought of having a tire blow at 55 or somewhere out on a remote trail isn't real comforting. That said I think I'll be looking for something less than 10 years old that I can enjoy riding without having to spend time fixing. Just one guys thoughts, I've fixed enough bikes, now I'm more interested in riding them.

#3 ·
Thanks for the replay AlaskaTdub!

Probably the 87 has original knobby tires, with only 2000 miles I doubt the owner changed them. But the 90 with 12500 miles probably has "newer" rubber. It also includes a complete set of wheels (rims and enduro-street tires). 2000 miles in 23 years!! That´s about 10-11 full tanks of gas for it's lifetime, or about 1 visit to the gas station every 2 years! lol

I guess at the end of the day, prior to testing both of them, my only concern is will I have more problems with a "newer" TW200 with 12500 miles or an older 87 with only 2000 miles?

I think I am already more inclined to get the 90 than the 87 mainly on liking the paint colors better and the extra set of wheels.

#4 ·
I had the same delimma. I bought the '87. Before I got to really ride it cost me another $280 for a ignition module. I want to ride , so I bought a low milage '08 for $2,800.........then another form my wife. Sold the '87.

Just think that '08 has 12,000 miles less than that '90. Wouldn't you like to have ridden those?

Owen

#5 ·
Depending on where you live and how large the population is, I'd suggest you might do better. In this economy folks are having a hard time selling used bikes. A pal of mine just acquired an 08 with about 500 miles for only $2450.00. Right now Yamaha is offering 3.9% financing for 3 years and dealers are sitting on inventory - even Tdubs.

#6 ·
That's a good point JS5owner. However, I just thought of it like an extra toy in the stable. A fun toy, but didn't want to spend a lot of money on it.

I do like the kick start on the older models, and I haven't read that many bad things about the front drum brake given the low top speed of the bike.

My local dealer has it for $3500, that will amount to about $4k+ with tax. Maybe I can get it for $3500 with tax. Just seems quite a bit.

I got my Suzuki Vstrom DL1000 two years ago, an 03, with 2100 miles, for 4 grand. I can't bring myself to pay the same for an air cooled 200cc.

I agree Hightime, I am kind of rethinking my take on the bikes, I am pretty sure the 90 with 12,500 miles will need some engine work. I contacted the owner and he mentioned a history of 3 owners and not much as far as service records. Chances are it needs at least new rings.

The 87 with only 2,000 miles.... if I can make sure there isn't rust in the fuel tank we are talking about a fairly new motor.

What are the main things I should look at in such an old bike?

I am sure the seller might take 700 to 800 for it. At least that's what I am willing to offer. At that point all I need to do is drive 100 miles with my trailer and pick it up! I am sure it will be a blast.

#8 ·
I think you'll like it. I've had a '65 SS 90 Honda, '65 Allstate 175, Honda CL 175, Honda 50, Suzuki 250 Savage, two Suzuki 90's, 650 Yami Special, Suzuki RE-5 rotory, '79 GL 1000, '81 GL 1100, two GL 1200's, two GL 1500's, Valkyrie Interstate, Three other TW 200's, a side car rig, Three scooters, a IT 500 Yami, another CL 175 and a CL 200 and I missed a few. Now I've settled in on TW's for my finish. No other bikes for me. TW's do the speed limit on most two lane roads and still go off road pretty well. It all spells great adventure.

Owen

#10 ·
I have an '87 with about 12,500 miles and it is running strong. It had 2500 miles on it when I bought it 2 years ago. No rebuild in the near future. That being said I like the idea of a second set of wheels. Take a flash light and look inside the tank. If you see rust it is a bargaining point. (BTW, I can see rust inside my tank -- it is not a problem). Smell the gas. If it smells like shellac or varnish a major cleaning is in order of the entire fuel system -- gas cap to carburetor gasket. Look at the chain and sprockets. If they have been neglected it is more off the selling price.

I have never bought a used vehicle that didn't require something soon after I bought it. Water pump, generator, brakes, etc. I have come to expect it and I try to get the seller to lower the price to cover that expense. Do the same with one of those TW's. If you can get it for $200 less than asking price the savings is going to take care of the problem if you can do the labor.

Good luck. Keep us posted as to what happens.

#11 ·
Thank Tony!! I really appreciate the feedback and advice. I have read in this forum that 87s have electric issues. Can anyone elaborate as to what are those electric issues? How much can you expect to pay for a second set of tires (wheel and rubber)?

#12 ·
The tires and wheels alone make the later bike the better bargain. Slap on the new tires and sell the wheels Total cost: $1,000.

Ride the crap out of it, possible early top end job later.

IF the '87 turns out to have no issues, BUY some tires for it and ride the crap out of it.

Total cost: $1,000

Unless....

'87's had a 1-year-only CDI and chargng system, making them something of a lemon if these parts fail. When it fails the CDI often fails intermittently, is expensive and hard to find. When the later one fails it often fails intermittently, is expensive, and easy to find. Aside from that they are otherwise no more prone to electrical failures than any other TW. Everything else on the bikes is basically equal, but this is a biggie, and the reason '87's tend to go for cheap.

Be warned that I've bought a few '87's sold in the "intermttent" stage, when the P.O. either can't figure it out, or has figured it out and has also learned what replacing it will cost. Most people don't want to put a 300 dollar CDI in a 600 dollar bike.It may run great for the test drive, then go haywire on you later. He could be passing his headache on to you. Make sure.

The later system is just better all the way around in terms of output and reliability.

#16 ·
Thank you, Boret.

I need to update the pic as the bike is now "finished" (yeah, right). It has a round headlight, ATV tire and XT tank since then. Prolly a lot of other things I can't even remember changing, too. lol.

As cool as I think it looks, I can't take credit for there being a single original idea on it. Every mod was either a direct copy of somethng I found on these pages, or my own slightly altered version of an idea already worked out by one of our veteran posters.

You can do it, too.

Incidently, my bike started life as an '87, but has '03 electricals and wiring harness and a backup CDI unit. I'd really urge you to go with the later bike if at all possible.

#15 ·
I paid $1,400 for my '93 and have proably put another $300 in it in a new chain and sprockets, a battery, a new regulator, and other pieces-parts. It has about 10K on it and runs well, but if I had the money, I'd opt for a newer bike, just because it should be on better shape overall. The disc brake would be a plus, (though I would miss my kick starter). I guess it depends on how you plan to use the bike, how often you expect to ride it, whether you plan to ride it more on the street or trail, and how wat your wallet is. Whatever you get, a TW is a real kick in the pants and you'll enjoy it.

#18 ·
Thanks Truelight!

I expanded the radius to 150 miles and I am starting to find better deals. There is an 03 with 500 miles for $2,000.

I just think I am going to miss the kick start more than benefit from the disk break. So ideally I would like to find a 99 or 2000 with less than 5k miles.

The idea is to have a fun bike to take with on the trailer when I go camping and do some exploring. The vstrom 1000 is too big for some of the trails (and my lack of skill), so I outfitted it with street tires and use it mostly for touring. The need for speed is cover with the R6 mainly at the track. The purpose of the TW200 is a fun bike that I can comfortably take to do some trails around VA and W VA, use it as a pit bike at the track, and probably get dirty in the garage messing with it, transforming it while I learn more about bikes.

I do my own maintenance on my bikes, but I have never fabricated parts or done complete transformations. After spending sometime in this forum I am hooked! You guys have some creative minds!

#17 ·
That's a good point. I need to research the electric problems of the 87s. I guess I keep going back and forth. I imagine that a 89+ with 6 or 7k miles would be the way to go, as I don't expect to put too many miles in the bike, but the 90 with 12,500 seems up there...

I have seen some other deals but they are over 200 miles away.

#20 ·
That brings me full circle back to the 90 with 12,500 miles and the 2 sets of wheels. LOL

I went to a local yamaha dealer and sat on a 2010 TW 200. It just feels about perfect height wise. I am 6' 190# and felt very comfortable on the bike.

They wanted $3800 +tax !!

The guy with the 90 has also the large luggage rack in the back and hand guards and wants $1,100. NADA estimates the price at $850 in excellent condition for that year. I imagine that a set of wheels is probably $200 and the rack another $100, so I should think that price is $800. Not that bad...

Is there such a thing as a simple rebuild for that engine? Like just rings. Otherwise, what is the worst am I looking up at spending?

I really appreciate all the input guys! This is a very friendly and knowledgeable forum!

#21 ·
If the 12,000 mile bike is running good now it will probably continue to do so for another 30,000 miles, or until you let in run out of oil, whichever comes first, unless you absolute DOG the engine. If you only plan to put a couple thousand miles a year on the bike, and you take care of it, you can plan on willing it to your grandson.

EDIT: Rings, gaskets, and o-rings necessary to replace the rings will set you back about $65, shipping included, if bought from an internet source of genuine OEM parts.

#23 ·
I am a newbie with the TW this summer also. Picked up my 2000 for only $1000 with 3900 miles on it. It had a few flaws, but was a great find. I find that most every used bike will need something done to it. I don't believe I would miss a kickstarter. Of course having a good battery at all times is a must.

#24 ·
Whoa! What a great deal! That is exactly what I want. As new as possible but with a Kick start, and around 5k miles.

You found an awesome deal, and it seems that it has not given you any problems. How do you like it so far?

Today, a 2006 Suzuki DR200SE - pop-up in CL with 4k+ miles for less than $2k. Don't get me wrong, I like the TW200 better, but you can't avoid making comparisons in what you get for the money. $1100 for a 1990 TW200 with 3 times the miles, and for 800 more an 06 DR200SE with 4200 miles.

#28 ·
Looks great in the picture, and you have a Cycleracks brand rack (wish I had of ordered one, instead of a Yamaha one)! Expect to spend some money right away if you are fussy, maintenance, repairs, etc. Overhall can take place later as a preventative. Enjoy your TW

#30 ·
Thanks, everyone, for all the help. I am really excited about the bike. It rides great, the engine seems in good shape. I have not seen any leaks and no rust in the gas tank. I have a couple of questions about it, but I will ask them in a new topic dedicated to the bike.

Edit: New topic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.