TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a change of pace. My yz has been a blast to ride for the past few years but not the best trail bike. I saw a tw for the first time while on vacation in FL, and gave the typical reaction of 'WTF that thing is cool!'. Well i have decided i want a DS bike. I don't have cash to spend so just looking for a even trade. Unfortunatelly this leaves me with fewer choices. My bike is in pretty decent shape it's a 99 and still running very strong (still had over 200psi on a recent compression check). I really was hoping to find a bike I could commute to work with, but have found that my 70 mile trip (one way 90% highway), is a major limiting factor. So I have compromised and realize that I will, at best, be able to ride it only occasionally to work.

So, here are the two bikes I am looking at. Both sellers have shown interest in my bike. Just looking for some opinions.

First is the tw. A 90 tw200 5k miles seller says "good shape runs great but does need minor repairs, electric and kick start everything works except horn all stock, i raised the front fender can be put back to original". Asked about 'minor repairs' and says they are a dent in gas tank, small tear in seat, for seals slowly leaking. Other than that mechanically solid, clean title, new chain, and rear tire.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/2605656762.html

Second is the xt350. Says it is mechanically sound, but the kick starter is broken. Not sure on the details of this, but would be a deal breaker if the crank is broken. Also, doesn't have the title. I told him I will need it before I can even consider a trade.

http://lexington.craigslist.org/mcy/2607412619.html

Here is my bike:

So what do you guys think? I feel like both sellers are asking too much and that my bike would be a fair trade. It seems like mine is in better condition than both and newer, but being titled and street legal adds some value.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Neither choice is going to be at home commuting 140 miles a day. You're probably spending $15/day or more on gas, and depreciation, maintenance, and repairs usually is about equal to the price of gasoline. $30/day x 20 days/month = $600/month.

Move closer to work. Expenses of commuting saved will quickly buy you a dualsport.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
qwerty, thanks for the reply. My initial intention was to find a bike I could commute on, however I have realized I would need a much larger bike that I am going to be able to trade for. I am now just looking for something fun I can ride on the trails and street. I might commute 1-2x per month, if I find the bike suitable.

I was more hoping to find some opinions on if these seem like decent bikes, worth the trade for my yz, and anything I should look out for.

Also, I completely agree with moving closer to work. Plans are in the works to do so in about 8 months. Any you are very close on what I am spending on gas. I typically fill up for $30-35 every other day, my truck gets 30mpg +/-, sucks big time...

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Both are good, simple, old tech bikes with large numbers of addicts. I prefer a TW to a XT350 for any purpose other than dirt roads in the Great Plains where the extra speed would come in hand. Now, if I could have a TW with the XT350 engine, ... .

EDIT: If not committed to a lease I'd be putting money into relocating sooner, maybe sell the YZ and hold off on the dualsport until after the move.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My commute isn't quite as lengthy as yours, but I face the same 90% highway obstacle that you do, so my TW (once I get it running) won't be my daily commuter bike. That role is already filled by my DR650. Yes, its a lot bigger bike and certainly won't be as easy to handle off-road as the TW given the relative height and weight differences of the two, but given the bomb-proof reliability and simplicity of the DR its a pretty good option if you can find a used one in your area.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
If I had 70 miles of highway each way I'd be hunting up a street bike with enough humph to push some wind protection. Maybe a V-strom 650?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, thanks for the advice. Sorry, I should have left out the part about commuting, as that is getting most of the attention here. That was only part of my original plan, but have quickly found that I'm not going to be able to trade for a bike capable of making my commute. I have a gs450 that needs a little work to get back on the road. It does decent on the highway, so once I get that up and running I may commute with it.

I really like the tw200, and think it will make an awesome trail/cruisin around bike. I am really intrigued by how so many people have said they are a blast to ride, even after owning bigger more expensive bikes. The guy sent me some better pics than the ones in the add, and it seems to be in better shape than I thought. Hopefully things pan out. I will post up pics if I get it.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Your posting this on a tw forum so of course everyone is gona say get a tw200. Try posting on a xt350 forum and see what they say

All joking aside, theres times i wish the tw had a bit more power or speed...but then again its very hard to get into a trouble situation where you find the front end coming up on accident. The low seat height is great for trail riding. The suspension sucks for doing anything fast, but it gets you around and is fun for some of the harder rockier trails.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the advice. Sorry, I should have left out the part about commuting, as that is getting most of the attention here. That was only part of my original plan, but have quickly found that I'm not going to be able to trade for a bike capable of making my commute. I have a gs450 that needs a little work to get back on the road. It does decent on the highway, so once I get that up and running I may commute with it.

I really like the tw200, and think it will make an awesome trail/cruisin around bike. I am really intrigued by how so many people have said they are a blast to ride, even after owning bigger more expensive bikes. The guy sent me some better pics than the ones in the add, and it seems to be in better shape than I thought. Hopefully things pan out. I will post up pics if I get it.

Good Evening,

I have a couple of thoughts. Folks are worrying about the commute because neither of those bikes are really capable of doing that regularly, which it sounds like you have figured out. Your GS would be a good commuter, I had one of those about a hundred years ago . . . . .

To me, the biggest factor in the choice for you would be how you ride your YZ. You mentioned it wasn't a good trail bike, so I assume you do some of that. If you push your YZ hard, and enjoy that, you probably won't like the TW. While it can be pushed, it doesn't really respond well.

I have to say I agree with the thought that financially it makes more sense to hold of on trading down (value wise) right now. I certainly appreciate the desire for a new bike, but if your GS is fixable, there's your commuter, and if you got moved closer, or waited, you could look at making a more finacially sensible choice.

If however, it's just about getting a different bike, you need to analize how you ride the YZ. If you ride it hard, I think you will be dissapointed with either of these choices. Neither is a powerhouse, neither has the suspension your used to in the YZ. You would gain street use, but only locally . . .

May be time to just dream about a new bike and do more research. Either way, good luck !

Bag

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
What he said.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, there is only one way to ride a yz and that is hard. The bike doesn't like to go slow. I both enjoyed it and hated it at times. It is a blast to rip around on, but that's about all I can use it for. It's a handful to take in the woods around me, because the trails are hilly and very loose dirt. I have always wanted to do a hare scramble or mx, but I don't know anyone else who does as well. I am too big of a pansy to take it on the mx track and hit the jumps. Just never had anyone to guide me through it. Last time I was on the track, I took the by pass on the jumps or just took them slow. The couple I hit on accident and got some air, I about pooped myself.

Before the yz I had a Warrior. I loved that quad, and put a lot of work into it. It was great on the trails, because it was geared low enough to climb most stuff, and had enough power to keep up with everyone. After I laid it to rest, I just wanted a change of pace, and I thought what more of a change of pace than a monster 2-stroke dirt bike. So, I used the money from parting it out to buy the yz. Well, I'm at that point again where I want a change of pace.

My reasons for really wanting a TW are... The looks, as you guys know this is a very unique bike. Every time I see one I just feel like I have to have one. The only person I ride with these days is my fiance who has an anemic RT100. The yz hated trying to go at her pace. I would constantly have to take detours on trails, and loop around to keep it at a happy pace. And most of all, just about everything I have read has been awesome about these bikes.

The way I see it is if I don't like it, what have I lost? I don't ride my yz much as it is. I really like the what I hear about the tw, and if I'm unhappy I can sell it and try something else. At least I will have tried.

I want to say thanks for your heartfelt advice. I certainly wouldn't have gotten this attention on most other forums. I am actually going to look at the tw on Friday, so wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Good Luck!

TW's are fantastic bikes to go put on. They will go nearly anywhere (especially with an even bigger tire and 246cc
) It would make a much better stable mate to the RT than the YZ. They truely are a great platform. I hope you will check back and let us all know how this story evolves.

Another bonus to the TW is it would be a great step up for the fiance. They are a great confidance builder.

Bag

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it didn't go so well...

I spent probably 6 hours throughout the week doing general maintenance and just cleaning up the yz, to make sure it was perfect. Since the tw was about 1h 40m from work then a 2.5h drive back home, I wanted to make sure the guy wasn't going to be disappointed. I have had it out and running probably logged a total of 5 miles or so just ripping around the house to make sure everything was in order. Thursday night the last thing to do was a good cleaning of the air filter. I finished up late, so I didn't start it up because everyone was asleep. I just loaded up and headed to work the next day, and to the tw afterward.

I got there around 7 last night, unloaded the yz and the guy seemed pretty happy with it overall. Had a little trouble getting it to fire which is unusual. Finally got it started after 5 kicks or so, let it warm up for a second. The guy gave it a rev to take off and it just died. Well, that was pretty much the story for the next hour. I let it sit and warm up for a while, and got it to where I could ride it down the street. It would go fine for about 100yd then bog down like it was out of gas (no change of throttle position or anything), then would 'clear out' and be off and running strong again, and repeat this whole cycle for the entire ride. It was dark and I was frustrated, so I didn't check out everything I could. Tried getting it started without the air filter thinking maybe I put way too much oil on it and it was not getting enough air, wouldn't even start like that. I did get it to run ok when I left it choked, then as soon as I took the choke off, it died. So, needless to say, the guy didn't want a bike that wasn't running right, and I can't blame him. I was so bummed, it has been a great bike, and I don't understand why it just did this all of the sudden.

I know this isn't a yz forum, but you guys seem pretty smart, and this is just going to help me get all my ideas out there.

The possible issues I can think of:

1. The spark plug boot went out on me a few weeks ago, so could be an issue with that, the coil, or stator (please don't be the cdi)?

2. Fouling plug. I did put a fresh gallon of gas in it from a shell by work since it was getting a little low. I mixed it with the usual 32:1 (and I only use Klotz Super). Put in .5 gal, the oil, then another .5 gal. Could it be bad gas, or maybe it didn't get mixed enough, so it was getting fouled by an inconstant oil mixture.

3. I have never torn down the carbs and cleaned them on this bike. Maybe it is due for that.

4. The tw was in Ostrander, OH 925 ft and I life in Petersburg, KY 512 ft. That shouldn't pose a jetting or air mixture problem. Should it? I have had it at Haspin Acres (Laurel, IN), and Slade, KY and never had this issue.

5. I did put on a new clutch lever, and adjusted it accordingly. Rode fine afterward, but could this pose a problem.

I plan to run it today, and do a plug chop to see if I can find anything there. Has the same gas in it now, and I have another gallon of fresh gas from a different station ready, to see if that will make a difference. Can anyone think of something I may be missing. I am trying to keep my spirits up for the tw pursuit, as last nights experience was kind of a buzz kill.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Unless you jetted it before taking it out there you probably have something caught in the bowl that is getting stuck in your jets. Smell fuel? check to see that your floats are working properly. Lastly swap out the carb with a buddy and see if that helps if it does rebuild yours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts