TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would appreciate any advice you guys can provide. Planning a week long trip to Moab, Utah in April/May 2014. I have a Yamaha TTR230, and my buddy has a Honda CRF 250X. I would describe my riding skill as beginner to intermediate.

(!) Any trail recommendations based on my riding level. Any trails or areas you feel are a must do.

(2) Lodging recommendations, ideally would like to be able stay at a place where bike can be stored away when not being used.

(3) Days to avoid due to big events in April, and May

(4) Favorite restaurants

(5) Other activities, sight seeing to do.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

·
Registered
240 Posts
Are you going through Colorado? If you are, I'd stop by Grand Junction on the way. Exit @ Horizon DR, head towards the airport and take the roundabout that's heading South in front of the airport. From there, I believe it's the 2nd or 3rd right (you'll know by driving just past "Leightner Poma" building on the right. Once you're on this road it takes you by the West fence of the airport. Once you hit dirt/packed sand, you can unload your bike LEGALLY on BLM land and ride for 30+ miles West (hundreds of thousand of acres) and just explore. Every weekend people bring their bikes to race or explore. Make sure you don't run out of gas. Moab will be crowded pretty much as soon as it warms up. Hotels are WAAAYYY overpriced for being dumps IF you can get a room. Moab will be technical riding (rocks) without much space to really open 'em up without law enforcement harassment. Grand Junction/BLM is vast with some rocks but more opportunity to ride/jump really nice hills, rocks and be able to get to areas where you can run WOT. Do yourself and make the stop then continue on to MOAB so you can get a feel for what you prefer.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Oh and I forgot to mention about Grand Junction:
- College town
- Real Beer (Utah only allows 3.2)
- Wider variety of restaurants
- Cheaper hotels
- Real Hospital
- Marijuana is legal for recreational use if that's your thing (and you're over 21).
- Honda & Yammy dealers in town with parts dept focusing on dirtbikes (really popular there with all the riding opportunity)
- Close to Grand Mesa.
- Close to Colorado National Monument.

Aww crap, just check this out:

Outdoor Recreation | Grand Junction, CO

I lived there for a year up until March 2013. Moab is about 2.5 hours away. I visited Moab before I moved to GJ. Now I live in SW FL :mad: In the end we're talking MILLIONS of acres of riding areas instead of my earlier statement about hundreds of thousands.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Do you have a Garmin GPS and Basecamp or Mapsource?

If so, PM me and I'll send you my Moab area tracks. They are mostly easy to intermediate because I'm too old. :p

Lodging in Moab in April or May? Forget it unless you already have reservations. Try Monticello or plan on camping.:(

Lot's of good scenic and non technical riding down that way anyway, and FAR fewer crazy people.:D

·
Registered
395 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Are you going through Colorado? If you are, I'd stop by Grand Junction on the way. Exit @ Horizon DR, head towards the airport and take the roundabout that's heading South in front of the airport. From there, I believe it's the 2nd or 3rd right (you'll know by driving just past "Leightner Poma" building on the right. Once you're on this road it takes you by the West fence of the airport. Once you hit dirt/packed sand, you can unload your bike LEGALLY on BLM land and ride for 30+ miles West (hundreds of thousand of acres) and just explore. Every weekend people bring their bikes to race or explore. Make sure you don't run out of gas. Moab will be crowded pretty much as soon as it warms up. Hotels are WAAAYYY overpriced for being dumps IF you can get a room. Moab will be technical riding (rocks) without much space to really open 'em up without law enforcement harassment. Grand Junction/BLM is vast with some rocks but more opportunity to ride/jump really nice hills, rocks and be able to get to areas where you can run WOT. Do yourself and make the stop then continue on to MOAB so you can get a feel for what you prefer.
I lived there as well and worked at Poma for several years. I had a large road bike with sidecar that was my main transportation mostly year round. I also had a Honda 110 that I used all the time out in the area you are talking about...miles and miles of riding...along Mt. Garfield.

+1

·
Registered
14 Posts
Moab is a great area. I was there last June for several days. I was in My 4X4 motorhome and had not yet bought a TW 200. One of the rides you might want to consider is the White Rim Road in Canyonlands NP. I was tempted to do it in my MH, but I decided that it might be a bit tight for my unit. My stay in the area is what convinced me to buy a TW as I think the White Rim ride would be great. You can Google it and get lots of information. The TW or any other small bike would also be ideal for general touring in the area. As for accomodations, there is a campground just across the river from downtown Moab that is very nice, and is reasonably priced for the area. It has lots of grass and shade trees and also has cabins for rent. Have fun. Bob

·
Registered
566 Posts
With a street legal bike, it is unlikely the local cops will go out of their way to bother you. They have lots of problems with other vehicles -- you'll know what I mean if you spend some time downtown towards the end of the day.

That time of the year can be downright cool. Be prepared for the cold, just in case.

I've only driven a cage in Moab, but I think Fins and Things and Hell's Revenge would alright. Fins and Things is short and would probably be pretty easy. The rock formations are so unique, it's almost a must see. Hell's Revenge would be a bit tougher but I've seen bikes on it -- almost all slick rock and lots of up and downs. It wasn't really challenging in the Samurai, but I really enjoyed the trail itself. Elephant Hill just outside of Moab is incredibly scenic. Some of the neatest rock formations I've ever seen, I saw while on that trail. That's be an all-day ride. Someone else will have to tell you if it's something you can ride though. Trails change with time...

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Mrs Trip and I are in Moab right now. We're staying in town at the Canyonlands RV campground...its walking distance to the restaurants and shops. We're still figuring the place out...with no advance planning since we were headed to Ouray this trip, but we bailed on Colorado because of all the rain, and headed here from Montrose, Co after checking on conditions in the San Juans. Here's a few photos though...its awesome here!
Gemini Bridges Rd:

Long sandy rollers

Spring Canyon Point Rd

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
Rhodetrip, great pics!! Moab is a perfect area for the TW.....I say that without ever having ridden mine there yet! I've done a lot of mountain biking there and don't think I've ever gone with a plan. My buddies and I would crash town and just head to a trail head!! No bad options in Moab.

·
Registered
566 Posts
^ True. It might be a good idea to leave a day or two open for whatever. We had a great all-day trip with a bunch of folks from neighboring campsites one day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Guys, Thanks so much for all the advice. It is much appreciated. RockyTFS I sent you a PM message.

Thanks again,

Todd

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
We rolled into Moab the weekend the jeep safari was ending. Are your bikes street legal? We never seen an officer the whole time we where there so i guess it would be a gamble. The white rim is a great ride. We took our time and took alot of pics. It took us about 9 hours round trip "130 miles" from the gas station at the entrance of Canylonlands national park. You are supposed to be street legal for the white rim but after the entrance fee only seen a few people. The scenic factor really depends on what order you do the trails. Going to chickens corner was neat but we rode it after white rim, top of the world etc. So it wasnt as nice as it would have been if we would have went there first. Are you guys more into to technical stuff or nice scenic trails? Onion creek is a must for scenery as is the top of the world. The Burr trail is one of my favorite roads ive ever done but its easy. It could be done in a minivan since its gravel and pavement but their is some nice curves and its very scenic from the Notam trail west. Also highway 12 is in the top 5-10 scenic curvy roads in the country "all pavement". From Escalante to 24 is hard to beat. Anyway is the link to my moab ride report with lots of pics and info. I did lots of research for our ride. Most of what we did was fairly easy. The hardest day we had was the top of the world loop to Onion creek and it was very fun. There is alot more technical stuff than what we did if thats what your wanting.
http://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-off-road-adventure-riding/7074-epic-moab-boulder-ride-report.html

·
Registered
162 Posts
Fins and things, top of the world, & chicken's corner are all must see's and be sure to run all the way up River Rd.. Don't sweat it, pick up a trails book (not sure of the exact title) they sell it at all the campgrounds and at the visitor center. Moab is really just a small town, hell there aren't 4 restaurants worth eating at, no other activities except hiking, rock-climbing, and trails.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Arrow head motorsports carries a few maps. He had the lattitude 40 maps and so did the little outdoor gear shop on the main drag in Moab "south half of town on east side of road" thats a neat shop to check out, they carry about everything and they have a place you can fill up your camelbacks for free. I picked up the moab east and west maps. Very detailed maps. The cycleactive mapcase is a nice piece if you need a way to carry your maps without stopping and opening up a bag every 10 minutes to get them out. It mounts to your handlebars and works very well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts