TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, so I just bought a 2006 Tw200 with 5000 miles on it and only paid 1000! I am in central texas and there aren't trails around here. Anyway, I will only be riding on the street for commuting. I love the bike! How can I modify my bike to make it ideal on the street. For example, tires, gear ratio/sprockets, and whatever else you can think of. I need advice on how to make my bike ideal on the road. I would like to get a little more top speed out of the bike since I will just be riding on flat land.

Anyways, thanks for your help!

·
Registered
187 Posts

This is a more street oriented Tdub

z

·
Registered
130 Posts
Depending on how many miles at a time you are riding a new seat would be more comfortable. The stock bike is really pretty good on the road. Maybe a 15 tooth front sprocket. I think the stock tires on the road are pretty good and i wouldn't change them until they wear out unless they are weather checked. I also am looking at a jimbo shield. He is still making them isn't he?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had a time tracking down a Jimbo shield but its said to be in the mail $55. I also thought of doing a 15T in the front but read enough to find that its probably easier to do a 47T rear sprocket. Although I'd probably favor the 15T front Vs the 47T on the rear, I will mostly like try the 47T first for a couple reasons. One its cheap, Procycle has them listed at $39.00, and I'm saying cheap compared to a sprocket change that I did for my larger sport motorcycle. Two its easier to get to than the front sprocket *from what I have read* Third if I didn't end up liking it then I'd feel it would be an easier swap to do the rear once again. *From what I have read* not 100% sure on the difficulty level but I do know its a little more effort than doing a rear sprocket. I'm sure it's really not that bad if you have a little know how. I've also heard going to a O ring chain wouldn't hurt, (I don't think that is MASSIVE benefits, but probably a lot less friction going on with the O ring setup) but I have yet to try any of those just yet. I hear there is possibly a better front tire for it but don't remember what it was because I'm fine with its setup for now, like someone said until I need to replace them. I recently bought a TW as well and I'm doing a little at a time. I hear also re jetting can help to a small degree and eventually I will do so as well. I also live in central Texas and I frontage road hop to get to work hahaha but the plain jane stock TW makes it just fine for the 22 mile round trip. I usually get around 60/65 mph when I enter the feeder to I-35 and right back off to the frontage road around 50/55 mph several stop lights and I'm at work no problem what so ever stock. I also bought a raised front fender mount kit from Procycle for aesthetics and I love the look! From what I search and read on this forum there is not a TON of things to do as far as "TOP SPEED" it's only 196 cc. I think a simple setup *FOR ME* like a front tire with less friction for road use(I don't expect huge gains), a o ring chain(again I don't expect huge gains), a sprocket change of 15T front OR 47T rear (lower the RPMS at higher speeds but not to drown out low end), and a decent job at re-jetting is what I plan to do. Keeping it super simple, I know others here may have various opinions but for me I would feel that I would get the most gain out of something like that. All else spent in my quest is just cosmetics and aesthetics.

By the way in typing this post my Jimbo shield just showed up as he said it would. I purchased light blue and the craftsman ship is great!

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Depending on how many miles at a time you are riding a new seat would be more comfortable. The stock bike is really pretty good on the road. Maybe a 15 tooth front sprocket. I think the stock tires on the road are pretty good and i wouldn't change them until they wear out unless they are weather checked. I also am looking at a jimbo shield. He is still making them isn't he?

i agree...you really don't need to do anything...i ride mine on the road a lot but i won't get new tires till i kill the stockers...gearing if you really want...better seat or at least a seat pad would be good...maybe a bigger tank for more mileage...but these are more wants than needs

·
Registered
572 Posts
This advice has been posted already for other new owners; but I'll repeat it for a fellow Texan(this is not my advice; but comes from a most reputable member).

Clean the bike thoroughly. Change the oil(synthetic highly recommended), clean and or change the filters(oil, air, gas; including the inside tank filter), put in fresh gas and a few ounces of Seafoam. Check all bolts, nuts, and screws for tightness. Check and clean all electrical connections(don't forget about brake and neutral switches). Check tire pressure and chain slack and adjust as needed, and lube the chain. Lube all cables. Adjust the brakes.

This should have you at a good starting place; plus you'll know a lot about your bike. I would leave the gearing alone for a while. You can always change it later. The stock tires are adequate, and choices are few as to what to change them to. The Shinko road tires are a good tire to consider for mostly road riding; but will work OK in mild off road conditions. I'm pretty sure that you will want to make a few small changes with the carb settings. There is an excellent sticky in the Tech section of the forums.

Get yourself a good set of gloves and boots. I wear armored gloves, and racing boots, and helmet of course. I've got my old Lewis leathers(from my old roadracing days)that I wear in the winter, and yes; they still fit. They have some pretty tricky riding gear out now; with padding, armor, reflective tape, and all that good stuff that you may want to consider also. Frogg Toggs for when it rains.

Above all else read in the forums. Everything you need to know can be found here.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Ride on.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Based on the results from a few posts about noises at higher speeds, I'd lift the tank off and check torque on the upper engine mount bolts. And check any others that you normally can't reach easily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts