TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of your recommendations for an 11 year olds first dirt bike?
Of course, he wants a new one straight from the dealer's floor but...ahhh no
What ya'll think

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
ct90. ttr90.

many used ones, reliable.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Ranging from a 70cc to a 110cc would be ideal for that age depending on height and inseam. You have: HONDA xr or crf, YAMAHA pw or ttr, KAWASAKI klx or kx and SUZUKI rm or jr. The two strokes are easier to work on but may have a little too much power for a first timer. Four strokes have that obvious powerband that usually doesn't cartwheel bikes out from under the younglings. Any of these can be found in $500 to $1500 range depending on age and condition. What I would have done for a dirtbike at 11 years old!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha yeah...we are actually still in the talking about it stage...but he definitely wants one for sure

·
Registered
76 Posts
Don't discount a used 125. If you buy a 90 it will be outgrown quickly. I have a tall 11 year old on a 125 with no probs and she handles the tw with relative ease as well. The clutch will be a hurdle but an automatic may become a crutch as well. Might as well start them out on the real deal if height isn't an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Relatively unscathed, stock or nearly so, and a laden seat height that allows toes to touch--higher is a safety issue for a beginner, lower will quickly be outgrown. Skinny tires will instill the habit of surface awareness that makes one a better rider in all conditions for life, and a better cage driver, too--too much traction will teach bad habits as surely as an automatic clutch. All else is a matter of personal preference, which a beginner has no experience on which to base preferences, so really doesn't matter. Consider this his/her first bike, and be expecting to trade later as preferences develop. That's a realistic outlook.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts