TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We’re three weeks out!

If anyone is looking for a destination in the eclipse zone, we have property in the path of totality in Lenoir City, TN.

It’s 3.3 acres along an airstrip. Big T Airport (80TN) for my pilot friends, though flying in is not an option. Just a few miles off I-75 and US321.

Karen and I are inviting anyone who’d like to come a place from which to view the eclipse. Should be an unobstructed view from the runway, weather permitting, of course.

What we have:

Space for camping - tent or RV. Should be enough parking for cars, motorcycles or RVs.

City water.

Power - but just two 20A outlets on a temp pole. Should be enough to charge electronic devices but not to power an RV.

PortaPotty

What we don’t have:

Any kind of RV hookups - plan on boondocking for a day or two if you have an RV.

Not far away is a Petro gas station with dump facilities for $5, and an Ace Hardware that can fill propane tanks.

Caution: no telling what traffic will be like. Might be a good idea to plan an arrival at least a day or two early.

Anyway, if this sounds like a good idea, let me know at [email protected] if you plan on coming and I’ll send directions.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Stupid eclipse. I have to work that weekend because of this event. Already working the actual day since it's during the week.

Enjoy the eclipse.

P.S. We have permission from work to go outside and experience the event. We even order the special glasses and have tinfoil hats, one with antennae. It's just having to work the preceding weekend which sucks.

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Enough gawkers are expected in rural towns with totality that some local officials are worrying about the surge of 100,000 hungry thirty tired folks overloading infrastructure of little towns. Some places have been preparing for two years to keep visitors alive. Cell providers have been preparing to let customers Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, and post blinding selfies “ All four nationwide carriers — AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint — are addressing the problem by rolling out surge capacity. Some are going to be cells on wheels, or COWs. Others are known as cells on light trucks, or COLTs. But whatever they're called, they're all designed to do one thing particularly well: Boost wireless capacity, in some cases by more than 300 percent"

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I'm trying to pick a place to go to see it out west but its a nice offer to see it in TN with fellow TW-ers

looks like some place in Eastern Oregon or Idaho might be the least congested

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/statistics/

I love eastern Oregon and I'm going to be in WA state on the 18th so I think Oregon gets the nod for me

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
eclipse.jpg
If you don’t have your viewing glasses and tin foil hat yet many vendors like 7-11 still have them, but beware of counterfiets. Welding goggles with a 12 rating or better can work, also making a projector is a safe option.
How to View a Solar Eclipse | Exploratorium

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Final bump!

Just a few days out. Right now about a dozen or so people planning to come, so room for more. The more the merrier!

Plan to arrive with plenty of gas - there are fears that stations in and around the zone of totality may run out at some point.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I canceled plans for viewing in Madras OR even though we reserved parking spots the city of 6000 is expecting 70 to 80k people and if it's cloudy on the coast add 2 million more trying to get over the hump to eastern OR I fear getting caught in a crowd with no fuel, no food and not enough ammo lol Phawk that I'll watch youtube lol

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
I canceled plans for viewing in Madras OR even though we reserved parking spots the city of 6000 is expecting 70 to 80k people and if it's cloudy on the coast add 2 million more trying to get over the hump to eastern OR I fear getting caught in a crowd with no fuel, no food and not enough ammo lol Phawk that I'll watch youtube lol

If I didn't have to work because of this event my outlook would be the same as yours. Still, at the appropriate time, us workers are going outside with our tinfoil hats and sun blocking 3D look-a-like glasses and will view the darkness. I'll take pictures.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
What a generous offer! I hope you all have a great time and a great viewing.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
We have a TV News Station reporter in our office right now conducting interviews with our public affairs staff about our roll in the upcoming Eclipse. Oofta, got to sit up straight, smile and not scratch my sack in front of the TV camera. :p

I provide a link to the article when it shows up on the station's www.

Our Public Affairs person and the reporter

Shot of where we usually watch movies when it's just us but for the reporters and other big wigs we made it look good and put eclipse info on the screens. Gotta be quick with the audio/visual control panel. (Insert Clint Eastwood Western Whistle here. The Good, bad, and ugly).

If you can watch the video I'll be shown in a couple different snippets.

http://www.kivitv.com/news/separating-fact-from-fiction-about-the-eclipse

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Down here they have decided to lock down all the schools. Students won't be allowed outdoors for any reason.
what a shame... we're giving kids glasses to view it. we'll only have 70% but still cool to show them. i'm planning for july 2019.

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Down here they have decided to lock down all the schools. Students won't be allowed outdoors for any reason.
What a shame. How are the poor ambulance chasing tort lawyers going to make a buck if they can’t allege that Little Johnny's impaired vision and subsequent cognitive strain, anti-social behavior and limited career growth are directly attributable to the School Board’s willful negligence is permitting Johnny to experience the real world without adequate supervision nor professional counseling.?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts