TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum but have a 1995 TW200. Purchased last year, engine blew on it two weeks ago. Does anyone have an engine for sale? Ebay right now only has some Canadian Company that is selling them for like a grand.

Thanx for reading this. If you can help, please contact me.

Darren

·
Registered
13,645 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Just gotta look on Ebay every day for a month and you will find one cheap,
For $1400 I would sell you a whole running and driving TW with 7500 miles,
Where are you located?
And yes, You need to look every day when you get up and before you go to bed,
One will show up

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just gotta look on Ebay every day for a month and you will find one cheap,
For $1400 I would sell you a whole running and driving TW with 7500 miles,
Where are you located?
And yes, You need to look every day when you get up and before you go to bed,
One will show up
Seriously he is right. I have seen a number of items that I wanted gone the next afternoon when I go to purchase. Ebay and Craiglist sometimes you have to act quick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am located in central Idaho. I took the engine into the local Yamaha mechanic. The rocker arm is chewed up something bad. His words (or intent), "You are looking at a $1200 minimum on the build. The lower gears are usable but the top end rocker arm is shot. You need to find one and bring it in to cut the costs." There was also the bore out and a new sleeve for a new piston, etc. I contacted some friends in Spokane. They said that these engines are like old Mariner Mines from WWII. They pop up once in a while and then then sink back down again.

I will look everyday and night. I have been doing so for the past 2.5 weeks. There were two on the Ebay and one sold today. Guy had it listed for $899.00. It was a 1990 with 2,600 miles. Someone got it for $500.

I am new to the TW200. The one that I had was a 1995 engine. I was riding it in 103 degree weather for about 2 hours. All the oil evaporated out of the engine. Is that normal? What do you guys do when you go on longer rides to account for this problem? I am really hesitant to take it out. I see you guys going hundreds of miles on them, do you dedicate one of your touring bags for just oil and filters?

If you guys hear of an engine, please send me an email.

Thanx for your help.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
5th groover,
sorry to hear about your engine troubles. these are really dependable bikes and shouldn't blow; something led to your misadventure. have you checked the filter? does it have four holes surrounding a central in the end that is inserted into the case? could have prevented oil to the top end. the oil shouldn't just evaporate... iv'e done 300+ miles on mine in a day with no issues besides a sore rump.

good luck finding another engine, they do pop up.

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Hi Groover,

As Joeband said, oil doesn't evaporate. It either leaked out - evidenced by drips/pools under bike; was blown out through breather- evidenced by oil in airbox or sprayed over engine/frame/wheel; or burned during combustion - evidenced by smoke out the exhaust.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am located in central Idaho. I took the engine into the local Yamaha mechanic. The rocker arm is chewed up something bad. His words (or intent), "You are looking at a $1200 minimum on the build. The lower gears are usable but the top end rocker arm is shot. You need to find one and bring it in to cut the costs." There was also the bore out and a new sleeve for a new piston, etc. I contacted some friends in Spokane. They said that these engines are like old Mariner Mines from WWII. They pop up once in a while and then then sink back down again.

I will look everyday and night. I have been doing so for the past 2.5 weeks. There were two on the Ebay and one sold today. Guy had it listed for $899.00. It was a 1990 with 2,600 miles. Someone got it for $500.

I am new to the TW200. The one that I had was a 1995 engine. I was riding it in 103 degree weather for about 2 hours. All the oil evaporated out of the engine. Is that normal? What do you guys do when you go on longer rides to account for this problem? I am really hesitant to take it out. I see you guys going hundreds of miles on them, do you dedicate one of your touring bags for just oil and filters?

If you guys hear of an engine, please send me an email.

Thanx for your help.
That oil didn't just go away, it burnt or leaked, oil doesn't evaporate till it gets to about 450 degrees. I haven't added a drop in 1000 miles. I've never added oil between changes. Recently on a 96 degree 80% humidity day I got off my TW and got asked a question. I jumped on a golf cart with someone to go check something and forgot and left mine idling for over 30 minutes and no issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got the old engine back from the Yamaha mechanic. Oil burned out and was in the air filter. What do I do to ensure that this does not happen again?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Many TW owners have high oil use with no adverse effects. My 95 uses 0.25 to 0.5 quarts in 1000 miles depending on use type (e.g. high speed vs. slow trails).

My solution? Check oil sight glass often and do normal pre-ride and periodic maintenance. Remember: This is a motorcycle not your daily car, which we all drive for 10,000's of miles with almost NO maintenance.

Oh, and any BMW car owner knows about oil use. I think they still use a quart every 1000 miles.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What is the value of 02 Tw200 engine 8500 miles without carb, timing chain, tensioner parts, left cover and parts behind it ? Did a ttr mod and original is now on shelf possibly for sale.

·
Super Moderator
5,136 Posts
Engine had 7,600 miles on it. It was a 1995.
I’m thinking that because of the damage reported by your mechanic to the top end of the engine, and the comparatively low mileage on the bike, it sounds as though the wrong oil filter was fitted at some point which resulted in (or possibly started) the wear indicated.

So the previous owner decides to sell — you pick up the problem bike, run it around without checking the oil level (believing it to be OK because a bike at that mileage shouldn’t use that much oil) — meanwhile the worn piston rings are increasing the pressure inside the lower crankcase, blowing a fine mist of oil up and out of your crankcase breather pipe — and into the air box.

Make sense ?

So — in answer to your question “How can I prevent this from happening again” — three things to check.

1/ Always check the new oil filter against the old, or simply clean and re-use the old one — there are too many bad “wrong” oil filters out there to take any chances.

2/ Always check the oil level before you ride. Right hand crankcase, small window, with the bike upright you should be able to tell at a glance. Only takes a second to do and could save you from going through this again.

3/ Never believe anyone selling you something.

:cool:

·
Registered
806 Posts
A good pre ride check is pretty much the rule on any motorcycle for safety and indeed an enjoyable ride. Don't be a fool and get caught way out broke down with something preventable.
Oil level, tire pressure, brakes and cables, chain tension.
If your just putting in fuel and riding, your asking for real trouble.
If you "don't know how" you should be grounded until educated, you could be saving your life.
True for any motorcycle but extremely important with old school units like the TW.
Take of your unit and it will take care of you. I highly advise reading the owners manual.

·
Registered
139 Posts
So the previous owner decides to sell —

3/ Never believe anyone selling you something.

:cool:
Unless it was only driven by an old lady who was a former Miss Honorary State Fire Marshall, mechanical engineer and cat trainer. After every ride ( ensuring the motor was run at optimum speed and temperature ). The bike was then hand rubbed in the light oil of olives owned by virgins extracted at midnight during the solstice. Then the bike was finely coated with Lena Blackburne rubbing mud to create a patina commensurate with its age. The only time it was dropped was when a freak wind knocked it over in the driveway.

Then you can believe the seller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts